Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Torx bolts, why so many?
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Noticed of late that more things are using torx heads.

What’s is going on, why is the trusty Allen key in demise?

Reverb clamp bolt, chainring bolts, disc mounting bolts,and a few other things which elude me right now.

Surely they are not as tough as an Allen key head?

Used to be great stripping a bike down with what felt like no more than a 4,5 & 6mm Allen key.
    All these torx bolts are messing things up, plus who carries a torx tool when out on the trail.

maccruiskeen

Cycling is a fashion business. Torx bolts are prettier.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Torx are harder to round off an I think better apart from ball ended torx keys are a pain to find

Lots of muti tool will have torx on now Normaly t25 and t30 with fits
    Most things

SRAM are the worst for Useing torx bolts

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ambrose

I carry a Torx key on the trail. They are used because they prevent cam out, thus protecting the driver and the fastening. See here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

kayak23

Much more hassle when full of mud… Which is quite often.. 😕

Ambrose

I think they are designed with the builder in mind, as opposed to the trail-side repairer. However, I’ve always found Torx fasteners to be better fillting than normal hex bolts.

Ambrose

I think they are designed with the builder in mind, as opposed to the trail-side repairer. However, I’ve always found Torx fasteners to be better fitting than normal hex bolts.

pdw
    Free Member

Torx are a much better design. Hex head bolts are perfectly designed for rounding out as all the force is concentrated on the corners of the tool, whereas with torx its spread across the flats.

Northwind

orangeboy – Member

Torx are harder to round off

Until you get some dirt in the bottom, at which point the tool engages less well and strips the splines off the bolt, especially with the shallow heads bike manufacturers like. They’re great when clean though, and particularily good in small applications. Whenever I find a T40 or similiar though I just curse the manufacturer. The blue-ovalled ****s.

sbob
    Free Member

Ambrose – Member
    They are used because they prevent cam out

As opposed to Allen keys…? 😕

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yes you do need to get the mud out first but you often need to do the same with hex key bolts

Ambrose

Sorry sbob, I’d change what I wrote to ‘they are used because they are betterer at resisting cam-out’.

So sorry

🙁

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. You learn something new everyday.

Personally I prefer Allen key(hex) heads.
    All these torx heads just means more faff.

I changed my discs over the other day and when doing the T25’s back up it just felt like the tool was going to rip out the head at any moment. I think it’s the fact they don’t engage very deep.

In 20 years I have never had an issue with a hex bolt on a bike.
    Don’t change it if it ain’t broke.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s a POS IMO – my guess is they are prevalent on some rotors for legal reasons, shimano appear to have intorduced then on chainring bolts to stop lighter aluminium getting rounded out.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It’s a POS IMO – my guess is they are prevalent on some rotors for legal reasons

For what legal reasons would manufacturers have to fit Torx head bolts on rotors?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Hope only recomend 5nm for rotor bolts which is quite low and should not feel like the head is about to sheer off

spooky_b329

Apparently they are make for easier assembly as a robot can hold them/locate them easier than an allen bolt, and much easier than a cross/flat/pozzi head.

You’ll notice they have used them on car trim for years, presumably for this reason. And rotor bolts…6 torx on one machine undoubtably was the reason for this.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Torx bolts, why so many?’ is closed to new replies.