Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Torridon -trail conditions
  • stupot
    Free Member

Anyone been recently, I’m heading up in a few weeks and my mate has been told that some trails have been washed out by storms? (not sure where/what) guessing the annat and achnashellach descents will be ok, maybe the climb past loch coire fionnaraich?
    Also how about the loop round loch/beinn damh loop?
    Thanks in advance…

grum
    Free Member

Interested in this too…

scotroutes

I think postierich is up there at the moment. Maybe bump this thread at the weekend?

stupot
    Free Member

Bump…..anyone…

bruneep
    turbo1397
    Free Member

Just back from doing the achnashealach descent! It was fairly wet but not unrideable. Started at coulags and out past the bothy. It was snowing heavily at the top of the hike but once on the descent the weather improved.. brilliant!! 😀

rickmeister

Andy McKenna has been doing some trail maintenance up there too.

Fat-boy-fat

Hey peeps, we’re due to be doing this route

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=odncjffmprshlbhl

In a couple of weeks. I’m hoping that the conditions are getting better. Any news of wash outs or the like?

Cheers.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

I was up there yesterday and rode the Coulags-Coire Lair-Achnashellach loop. Was pretty dry and trails were all in good nick. I heard they were doing some trail repairs to the Annat descent this weekend.
    Here’s a few pics from yesterday.

stupot
    Free Member

Ace photos!
    I go in 2 weeks can’t wait. Reckon it could be a long couple of weeks at work!

Fat-boy-fat

Good news. Cheers for the photos. 3 weeks for me. Don’t ruin the trails stupor!

DickBarton

Any pointers for accommodation, please? 5 bodies but nowt available in Torridon…thinking tents now but unsure where.

BoardinBob

.thinking tents now but unsure where.

There’s an unofficial campsite next to the youth hostel. Toilet block with shower available for use. Apart from that it’s a fairly soggy field

It’s early in the year but be warned, the midges could be the worst you’ll ever experience in your life.

bigjim

Kinlochewe bunkhouse is fine if you just need to lay your head down for the night, good food and beer next door too.

bruneep

We stayed here http://www.torridonestate.com/index.htm website is a bit thin on ground for info presently.

Be very particular about how you leave any cottage if you do stay there as they wanted it immaculate ready for next guest so they dont have to clean it. Withheld my deposit as they claimed that we hadn’t done various things and blocked a toilet. After many emails and lack of proof by them I was refunded, I am now banned from staying or booking any of their cottages 🙄

Just be aware

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Gerrys hostel. Achnashellach side of the hills.Strathcarron hotel.
    not a million miles away either.

scotroutes

Tis a shame that Gerry himself is no longer with us. I’ll leave this blog extract (not mine) in memoriam

The owner Gerry is the rudest man I have ever meet, it is said when he was drinking he would mellow out in the evening but now he has stopped the drink he stays his abusive, arrogant, self. I would say stay there are your peril, if you like to have abuse thrown at you for no good reason then go for it, TGO challengers you talk to who have stay there once never want to stay again would rather walk that bit further and camp I can see why now

swavis

scotroutes – Member
    Tis a shame that Gerry himself is no longer with us.

Blimey, didn’t know that. Without a doubt one of the more colourful characters we’ve stayed with 😆

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Ha ha, I picked him up a few times. He hitched from the Lochcarron golf course quite a bit.
    He was always okay with me.
    I was driving him home however.
    His hostel is still there though.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Used to be a wee campsite in Lochcarron, couple of pubs and a restaurant too I think. We had good food at the smaller pub, can’t remember what it was called. You could also stay at Applecross but that’s not so handy for Torridon but you could do the Kenmore loop which is very good and passes the walled garden cafe.

DickBarton

Thanks for the pointers folks.

Spin
    Free Member

Tis a shame that Gerry himself is no longer with us

I had a few ‘interactions’ with Gerry. Woe betide anyone who put coal on his fire. Maybe in his head he was just having a quiet word but it came across as barely contained homicidal rage!

Spin
    Free Member

you could do the Kenmore loop

I think the out and back Applecross-Kenmore is one of the biggest bang for your buck rides in the country. Short and sweet.

Spin
    Free Member

All change now Torridon is pretty much submerged.

Fat-boy-fat

Submerged?

Spin
    Free Member

As in underwater.

bruneep

All of it?

Spin
    Free Member

The top of Liathach was poking out but that was about it.

ssboggy

Heading up there on Friday, should I pack a snorkel 😡

scotroutes

Definitely take a map

mikekay
    Free Member

Im up there next week with Ben Jones so hopefully wont need a map 😉

kcal

Aye, I gave Gerry a lift on at least one occasion. Def a character.
    Had a couple of mates that used to stay there quite a lot, it was certainly different !!

DickBarton

Any more update on the trail conditions?

Spin
    Free Member

Ground was absolutely waterlogged on Monday with huge amounts of rain falling over Sunday night. Burns were huge too.

duckman

We used to ensure we took extra malt to keep Gerry onside. I mentioned to my Dad that he had died and he told me a few stories about him back in “the day” He was once in lurve and the hostel was a joint effort for a few years.

DickBarton

Which routes were you riding that were waterlogged?

montgomery
    Free Member

I stayed at Gerry’s once…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T58D467HagM[/video]

Spin
    Free Member

I wasn’t riding, I ran up Coire Lair on Sunday and then did nowt on Monday because it was so grim. Massive amounts of water coming off the hill.

DickBarton

I know I keep asking, but any updates on the trail conditions please?

bruneep

90% of it is bed rock at worst it will be wet.

I’ve ridden it wet and it was fine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Torridon -trail conditions’ is closed to new replies.