Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Torridon routes?
  • sassy
    Free Member

Has anyone got any routes around Torridon. Going in August and yes I know about the Midges.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Do you know about the search facility? 😉

d45yth
    Free Member

Have you got a GPS? If so, have a look at MTBtrails.
    Here’s a link to the trip I had there in May (on MTBR).

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

There’s plenty been written on the subject of Torridon on this very same forum.

It’s a very straight forward route and IMHO one of the best in the UK. If in doubt I’d recommend Kenny Wilson’s book.

Kunstler

Search wasn’t playing ball when I looked for Torridon info a few weeks ago – had to hunt around for threads with maps and good descriptions (originally posted up a few years ago now). Mtb Trails is excellent – I’ve got those routes in Viewranger now.
    When are you going sassy? I’m heading there on the 14th.

sassy
    Free Member

Cheers Lads ..I’m just being lazy ..I’ve a few people to e-mail too need to get of my backside and do a bit of research!

Kunstler I’m not sure where I’ll be on the 14th ..I’m going up in my van so will be fairly flexible…have a few people at the moment humming and arring about coming with me but will be doing it anyway so if you fancy joining me for a couple of rides I would be most grateful.

Im off from the 8th but meeting up with a few other then and going horse-riding at Coldsteam on to Glentress,Ben lomond, Fortwillaim,Loch Torridon, Gospie, Aviemore, Dumyat and Ae but it may change …send me an e-mail i’ll keep you informed

Kunstler

Sounds like you’ve got a busy schedule there. It’d be good to meet and ride – I’ll email you nearer the time as I’m going to have to be weather flexible with my schedule. I’m saving the best days of visibility for scrambling along Liathach and Beinn Eighe. That is if we get any days good enough for that. Otherwise, lots of biking instead.

LoCo
    Free Member

To properly enjoy it, take a 140/150mm full suss (minimum) bike and some knee and elbow armour 😉

d45yth
    Free Member

LoCo – Member

To properly enjoy it, take a 140/150mm full suss (minimum)

I don’t agree with the ‘minimum’ part, I would change that to ‘would be best’…you can end up putting in some long rides with big climbs and hike-a-bike.

thefallguy
    Free Member

Search my profile on ridewithgps.com there are 3 routes on there I did at the beginning of June

sassy
    Free Member

Fallguy…are the routes under your name or the Fallguy? Scrub that I’ve just found you! 😀

Kunstler

To properly enjoy it, take a 140/150mm full suss (minimum) bike and some knee and elbow armour

Uh oh. 100mm hardtail here, or will be. It’s currently a rigid singlespeed.Should I just leave it like that and carry it everywhere instead?

LoCo
    Free Member

Some of it will be rideable on an HT, we had a couple of 120’s with us but the general consensus was that a 160mm (26″ wheel) was the most fun.
    Also decent ‘welterweight’ tubes are a good idea as the standard ones were a little weak for the bigger stuff (tubeless was great)

d45yth
    Free Member

Kunstler – It’ll be fine if that’s what your used to riding, the main Torridon ride is mostly smooth and only has two big descents. You might lose a few fillings on the last one though, going down to Anat. 😀

Kunstler

There can’t be anything as bad as the Ciaran Path.*

(* of course there is).

grum
    Free Member

Really really really really want to do this but my fitness isn’t up to it at the moment. That MTBtrails.info site is brilliant btw!

bedmaker

Also bear in mind ou can’t do it unless your bike is carbon

StirlingCrispin

What the hell is the “main” Torridon route?

Sassy etc – I have the original Anquet file for the route from Kenny Wilson’s book if that helps.

Also happy to offer guided tours of Dumyat – and point you towards far better rides in the area.
    PS: you’ll want to check the brewery is open too!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

You’ll be fine on a 100mm bike, still have great fun just a bit slower. The ability to bunny hop will help more than another inch or two of travel. I’d take something that you can carry comfortably. Hopefully heading up that way next weekend and hoping it’s a good as last time.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Was also going to be doing this on the 14th.. but i think the weather might put me off.. would rather wait until the sun makes a comeback to enjoy the scenery. 🙂

billyboy
    Free Member

In my experience………

If Kenny Wilson says it is rideable…..it probably is NOT rideable

sassy
    Free Member

Am only taking one bike, the zesty should be able to copy with it..Just trying to extend my hols to two weeks…I have an epic amount of riding I want to cram in

Right I haven’t a GPS am I going to up shit creek if I try and attempt some of these route without?

and Yes Stirling Crispin I would love a guide for Dumyat…although you may have to take it easy on me as i will prob be a weak and feeble woman by that time also I think i’ll be in Dumyat on either the 13th or 14th so it i’ll be a weekday…is that a problem?

d45yth
    Free Member

Sassy – Right I haven’t a GPS am I going to up shit creek if I try and attempt some of these route without?

No, it’s just we could have sent you/pointed you to some GPS routes.

thefallguy
    Free Member

The rides are pretty easy to follow, we just took a few home made screenshot style maps, the trails are pretty well defined. The route over to applecross is a great day out and it’s worth doing the path over to sand, do this ride on the day you have the best weather forecast. Finding the start of the path at Kenmore is the trickiest bit. My fave ride is the coulin-annat ride from Torridon, it’s easy to follow and offers some great riding, sure you’ll love it. I’ve got a map I can email you if u need it?

nick1962
    Free Member

If you’re in the Stirling area Cambusbarron North third reservoir loop shouldn’t be missed.

sassy
    Free Member

Shh…don’t give me any more I have already got 13 rides to do on my wishlist 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Torridon routes?’ is closed to new replies.