• This topic has 93 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by grum.
Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Torridon – overhyped? (long & pic heavy!)
  • highlandman
    Free Member

Plenty of other, excellent routes to do as well as the Bealach na Lice/ Annat classic, in all of its variations- Beinn Damph circuit, Lochan Fadda, Tolley Path, Applecrossing. And then there’s Fisherfield- Quite a committed day out!

boltonjon

Cracking photos of a stunning place

I was fortunate to ride in the area back in June and was amazed with the trails and scenery – the Annat pass trail is probably the best i’ve ridden in the UK 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Grum, when you reach that saddle just west of MCD, start your descent off low to your left as the trail down into the coire is not the one that you would be standing on as you arrived..

Thanks highlandman

I would definitely recommend the Coulin to Achnashellach return route, it’s a must do half-day out.

Bit confused by this – are you not talking about doing it as part of the main Torridon loop?

Personally I don’t think it’s worth going round to the west of Maol Chean Dearg. It’s a bigger carry than anything else on the route and the descent is not of the same quality as the others.

Think we’ll give it a pop next time. I know lowey rated it as worthwhile.

The carry up Coire Grannda isn’t too bad as it’s quite short – it’s just pretty steep. I wasn’t blown away by the top part of the descent from there though – admittedly the scenery is great.

Cracking photos of a stunning place

Cheers! It is indeed a stunning place.

clareymorris

I think the carry up to Maol Chean Dearg is worth it if only for the amazing views of Liathach as you come round the shoulder. Descent is great too!

Coire Grannda is ace – so different. Loose and sketchy. There is now a “Clare’s Corner” which I have come off on twice he he!!

scruzer
    Free Member

Thanks Grum. Brought back some ace memories for me too. Well done and thanks for sharing!

grum
    Free Member

Cheers scruzer – glad you enjoyed. Was a great trip from start to finish. Beautiful part of the world.

I think the carry up to Maol Chean Dearg is worth it if only for the amazing views of Liathach as you come round the shoulder. Descent is great too!

Yeah reckon we’ll definitely give it a go next time.

highlandman
    Free Member

Rode ben damph yesterday, still quite wet along the loch side but a wonderful three hour thrash nonetheless. Happy days… Maybe Applecrossing tomorrow as the forecast looks similarly good and I fancy a mellow ride and a good lunch.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sitting in shieldaig lodge by the open fire after todays 50k loop incorporating a trip to inverewe gardens and the bridge cafe . Wish id brought the fat bike though. Didnt on acount of mrs tr picking loops with longish road sections today and tomorrow 🙁 never mind beinn damh on thursday on the way back to civalisation again 🙂

scotroutes

* I approve of this post *

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fair to say ill be revisiting beinn damh on a different bike – one with gears as thats a pretty grim climb in todays wind.

Was great fun hooning down it on my 29er how ever in the carpark i knocked a brake pad ( ebc no less) off fitting my front wheel 🙁 so hastilly i fitted those to the back , put good ones on the front and carried on.

Metal on metal doesnt slow so well.

Walked up beinm eighe, flowerdale glen and red point for sunset yesterday

Dont you think the owner of the bridge cafe looks a bit like a esser spotted tandam riding jeremy ?

In aviemore at the ardlogie guesthouse on our way home.

Did learn that gino is retiring and has all but sold on sheildaig lodge and in 6 days its end of the season and its closing up for the new owners to make major renovations – i hope they dont take away the “old” thats what made it special 🙁

grum
    Free Member

You folks are lucky to have such amazing riding and scenery nearby.

My local riding is pretty damn good so I can’t complain really but there’s nothing on the scale of the highlands obviously.

scotroutes

Luck has nothing to do with it 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

view from breakfast at sheildaig lodge.

grum
    Free Member

Nice one trail_rat

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Torridon – overhyped? (long & pic heavy!)’ is closed to new replies.