Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Torridon
  • karlp
    Free Member

Quick question for those who have ridden there…we plan to do the Lollipop & MBR routes next week.
    A little concerned there may be too much overlap? Initially thought it was just the ride out but now not so sure.
    Thoughts appreciated.
    Thx.

DickBarton

It is so good you won’t be bothered about any ‘overlap’. You are riding 2 trails so unless it is both in 1 day it isn’t really an issue.

hairyscary

The lollipop route gets the two classic Torridon descents from their highest points. I had to google the mbr route and would not bother with it myself, especially if you’ve done the lollipop the day before.
    Go and do Loch Damph on the second day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What hairyscary says.

chakaping
    Free Member

Post a link to the MBR route?

I’d recommend pushing up the Ben Damph descent rather than doing the full (very soggy) loop. This could be combined with riding up the Annat descent, over Bealach a Choire Garbh and down a brutally rocky descent before turning left and back over Bealach na Lice to Annat.

That took me about six hours all in and was excellent value, if you like rocky descents.

karlp
    Free Member

Thx guys very helpful.

hairyscary

Chakaping.
    I’ve pushed up Bealach a Choire Garbh from the bothy a few times and rejoined the Annat descent. I’m not sure I’d enjoy it as a descent…….is it not a bit ‘picking your way down’ rather than the ‘letting it go’ of the Annat and Achnashellach descents?

GavinB

An alternative way of doing the Ben Damph descent, which is better than the soggy circuit or the push up, is to ride up the Annat climb to Loch an Eoin, then instead of bearing left (which you would do for the lollipop route), head straight on until about NG916507, then traverse the hillside to the south of Beinn na h-Eaglaise to arrive at the bealach at Drochaid Coire Roill. We did this a few weeks back – the traverse took about 25 mins. It’s not all that pleasant, but it’s pretty quick and means you get to the start of the big long descent MUCH faster and drier than if you do the circuit AND you get the full descent in.

hairyscary

Makes notes for the next time I’m over there.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d enjoy it as a descent…….is it not a bit ‘picking your way down’ rather than the ‘letting it go

Heading off the Coulags side it’s loose marbley corners at the start, then a long, punishing section of fixed rock, then loose corners again at the bottom.

Steeper and more difficult than the other descents, but quite enjoyable in a masochistic way.

In the Annat direction it starts brilliant, then it’s traversey singletrack with a few stoppy sections until you rejoin the Annat descent.

GavinB – I honestly found the push-up really enjoyable, it’s a very easy gradient after the woods. Might try your suggestion next time though.

🙂

aide

Am going to be going up there in the first week of July so will be looking for these trails now, thanks folks

karlp
    Free Member

All Thx for the info supplied.
    We did Ben Damph & the Torridon Lilipop.
    With Ben Damph we had a good tail wind from the fresh water loch up & across the top and then rode the descent, it felt like a gift from the gods. Highly recommend.
    Lollipop is long but oh so worth it. Proper out there riding with 2 x magnificent descents that just go on and on and on.
    What a shame it is so very far away for most people, but, can also see issues with erosion dept on usage…so don’t tell anyone

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Torridon’ is closed to new replies.