Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Torque Wrench? What range and any recommendations other than Park?
  • Nibsy
    Free Member

I’m thinking of splashing out on a torque wrench, not that I’ve ever rounded a bolt or stripped any threads. I’d just like the security of knowing I’ve tightened it up right and yes I know you can do this by “feel”.
    So what range do I need roughly and other than Park which I think are quality but overpriced do you have any recommendations?

Offroading
    Free Member

You’ll need to spend a fortune to get one that’s actually accurate.

I have a snap on one i use at work, it was £320 and it’s still not 100% accurate.

For range 1-10Nm would cover everything but the crank arms.

I just use common sense instead now.

sam2391
    Free Member

Most torque wrenches will be more accurate than tightening by hand, but as offroading says a cheap one will lose accuracy quickly, to maximise life always store it unwound.

boxfish
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these, it seems to do the trick

I think an important thing with torque wrenches is, once you’ve finished whatever you’re doing, to ‘unwind’ the torque meter while it’s not being used.

Doh! Too late!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Norbar SLO 4-20Nm for me. Use one in the shop and one at home.

Marko

Depends on how accurate you want to be. It will need to be certified and tested every year. Even expensive ones are only spot on in the middle of the stated ranges, so a certified 10-40 Nm wrench is probably on the money between say 15 and 35 Nm.

Lots of choice out there.
    HTH
    Marko

LoCo
    Free Member

Teng tools would probably be worth a look for a mid priced one.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve had a BBB one for 5 years and think it’s a good tool. Last year I had a warranty issue with a carbon frame and I had to send my torque wrench to the manufacturer to prove that it was OK, I was told it was fine and my frame was replaced so very pleased about that!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Torque Wrench? What range and any recommendations other than Park?’ is closed to new replies.