Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Torque wrench
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

Has anybody used this torque wrench?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/laser-torque-wrench-5-25nm-quarter-inch-driv

I asked the manager in Machine Mart if they did any that had a lower setting than 5NM and he said these were rare and at very low torque settings >4NM you could just use your fingers to avoid over tightening.

If the range is OK, this one seems like reasonable value.

Thoughts?

Thanks

MM

foxyrider
    Free Member

Same as my Draper one more or less – is fine and what he says is pretty true – you can get a low torque one if you need to but I dont bother myself 🙂

However my one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001K9T2O/ref=asc_df_B0001K9T2O680210?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=7974&creativeASIN=B0001K9T2O

is about £20 – however you should make sure the fitting is the right size i.e. £/4 " or 1/2" etc?

jemima
    Free Member

The problem with such low torques is that the variability in thread friction (due to materials, cleanliness, grease, no grease etc) counts for a very large percentage of the torque you apply so you are not preloading the bolt by the desired amount. I've used torque wrenches in the past to tighten (e.g.) stem bolts and could still twist the handlebars when at the notional torque. I just go for a short allen key and 'feel'.

Macavity
    Free Member

As jemima says , even if you get something decent like a Norbar torque wrench what torque do you set it to?
    There is a significant difference between the clamping force / load applied when a dry bolt and a lubed bolt are torqued to the same torque setting.

rootes1

yer at such low values the accuracy tolerance is wider than the ranges you need.

unless you get a better wrench with a better tolerance, then of course there greater affects such type of thread, materials of fastener, materials of component, lubrication, threadlock, whether the fastener is moving or has stopped

you are best off just learning to use hand tools carefully and using the judgement of you own hand/arm.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Don't think he's saying will it be OK for low torques – just that it doesn't do low torques so other than that is it good value no?

toys19
    Free Member

I've got these ones. Very good click

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Torque wrench’ is closed to new replies.