Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Torque value
  • vzchan
    Free Member

So basically, I have to tighten a linkage bolt to 5.5nm . However, on my park tools torque wrench, due to its 0.2nm increment, there are only options of 5.4 and 5.6. Which should I go for? I know it is a bit tricky here. Let me know how you think. Cheers

amplebrew

I’d go for the 5.4nm myself.

tmb467
    Free Member

and then go a little bit more but not quite enough to go to 5.6

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

it’s likely to be about 1/32 of a turn between the two or something. I wouldn’t fret too much.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

when did you calibrate the torque wrench?

cookeaa

Can you not just go to 5.4 and then about half an increment towards 5.6?

best bet is to abandon the fancy tool and count ‘tinks’ as you heave on the hex key…

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

when did you calibrate the torque wrench?

Indeed. The torque value is to try and control the tension in the fastener which due to variations in friction at the threads and under the head of the fastener could vary 50% in either direction very easily. In other words, either one will be fine, I’d go slightly tight.

vzchan
    Free Member

I tried both 5.4 and 5.6 on it. The bolt under both torque values stop at the exact same position. I end up going for 5.4nm.

Torque wrench is less than 2 months old.

PiknMix
    Free Member

If the linkage is slightly stiff then you have over cooked it. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

reality – it wont matter at all if your 5.4 or 5.6.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So it’s 2 months out of calibration 😉

vincienup
    Free Member

Means nothing. It spent a while in a container bouncing around the seven seas before it got to the warehouse then the shop. It’ll be close enough for rocknroll with bigger differnces but the jump you’re discussing is miniscule in terms of calibration.

Don’t forget that if you’ve lubed or locktited the bolt threads then you may as well put the torque wrench away unused for all the good it will do you…

I’d agree with go for the bigger number and back off if it feels tight… OR… take advantage of the analogue scale and rebelliously adjust the tool between the two numbers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Don’t forget that if you’ve lubed or locktited the bolt threads then you may as well put the torque wrench away unused for all the good it will do you…”

unless you know the lubricity co-efficient for the lubricant used…. not that iveever seen it for bike related lubes but the stuff i use at work comes with it…. we do torquing up to 30000 ftlbs.

bigblackshed

5.4Nm or 5.6Nm?

I would like to see the torque wrench and the calibration certificate. Then the tester. The difference is sweet FA.

In fact I think the manufacturer is taking the urine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Torque value’ is closed to new replies.