Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Torq/Gorrick 12:12 at Minley
  • Jason
    Free Member

I am I allowed to say I hated the race? I loved the event, but the race itself was very tough. I had crashed the weekend before and hurt my hand a bit, but thought I would be okay riding through the pain for 12hrs. Turns out I have a broken finger, so not surprising it was a bit sore during the race… Other than that it was great. Very friendly on course, probably one of the politest races I have ever been to. Good to see lots of ladies riding in the She Torqs ride, many of them new to mtb racing. My son loved the kids race, very proud of him for getting up Pheasant Plucker Hill.
    Looking forward to next year.

boltonjon

Quality race in my local woods

Total respect to anyone doing the 12h solo and the really fast boys – Christ they’re quick

95% of them were courteous, but i seen a few of them chucking gel wrappers

I shouted after a couple – and one said it was ok because it was under the tape.

Tosser – is it that hard to get it near the bin and have it before your lap?

I raced in the pairs category and had a really good time – the course was ace, with some nice technical areas to look forward to

It even had a nice drop off to launch yourself of once a lap 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

95% of them were courteous, but i seen a few of them chucking gel wrappers

The only folk I saw dropping gels weren’t quick. Odd correlation to draw.

Turns out I have a broken finger, so not surprising it was a bit sore during the race..

Oof, that’s nasty! You looked strong every time you rode past us!

pete68
    Free Member

Totally agree with this about dropping gel wrappers. At the rider briefing we were told that some locals were using littering as a reason to get the event shut down but still people do it. No doubt the same riders who think they’re too good to go to the briefing.

boltonjon

Don’t get me wrong – some slower guys probably did, but the only people i seen doing it where the really fast guys passing me

Shame considering the instructions at the start

Great event though and great organisation from the Gorrick team (s always)

gee
    Free Member

As a ‘fast boy’ I can say all my gel wrappers (and banana skins as well) always come back with me. The goop in my jersey pockets can attest to that!

It is immensely irritating when I see people doing this – they tend to be either 1) people who are above their station or 2) younger speedy riders who need to be educated.

At this event last year I saw a speedy rider throw a gel wrapper, so stopped, picked it up, caught him up (so not that quick) and gave it back to him. More of this please…

GB

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It’s a shame that riders feel the need to dump gel wrappers the way they do.
    I was out riding on the A25 the week after the Ride London thing a few weeks back, the amount of gel wrappers littering the road and verges was unbelievable. As the organisers at Gorrick said, it just gives the serial complainers more ammunition when they’re arguing against anything that cyclists do.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s completely inexcusable, just don’t get it. No different whether you’re in a race or not! Kudos to GB for chasing down the litter bugs!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I use left hand pocket for gels and bars, and right hand pocket for empties. And yes like Gee says, right hand pocket forms into a hideous carapace of dried gel which always makes me smile when putting clothes into the washing machine the next day.
    Seeing riders throw gel wrappers makes my blood boil, it’s just so arrogant.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve put plenty of gel wrappers through the washing machine in pockets, jersey pockets come out slightly crunchy!

theotherjonv

I don’t understand why folks couldn’t time their gels to coincide with two blooming great fire road sections with a bin handily placed at the end. Wasn’t like it was a massive loop where timing your gel was a major issue, in fact I’d have thought majority of riders doing single laps wouldn’t even need to eat at all, you’ll be back at the arena in 20 odd minutes.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Torq/Gorrick 12:12 at Minley’ is closed to new replies.