Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Torn Knee Ligaments , Cartilage cycle crash
  • mattythemod
    Free Member

Had a off a few days ago and my left knee took a pretty big knock on the ground , swelling and a build of of swelling , a visit to A&E followed where i got the good news that was nothing was broken but i had cartilage damage and twisted torn ligaments .

Am now on crutches and have a knee brace fitted , i cant bend the knee at all have been told its 2 weeks off work and a possible 6 – 8 weeks recovery time and unlikely i will be back on the bike for 3 months which is a major downer for me .

Just wondered if any of you guys had experienced this or had any thoughts on how to make recovery swifter .

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I had twisted ACL and PCL and slight tear in cartilage, not given crutches or brace! Needed 3 months physio and the physio actually told me to go out cycling but to be careful.
    I had no time of work so expect mine wasn't as bad!

senorj

I tore my anterior cruciate ligament.
    You will need to rest it as advised.
    When you can move it take it easy….I thought I was ok after 8 weeks,
    went up to head a ball (playing footie) and as i landed my ligament gave way.V painful.
    I eventuallly needed a MRI scan and then surgery to replace ligament.

If you have any after effects like that pursue the scan.
    I gave up football and was able to cycle etc a long time before I had the surgery though…and 8 weeks after….. 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Partial tear to my caudal cruciate – Needed a brace – kept it on for skiing up until a few years ago. No cart damage here though although if its your meniscus its not as serious as art cartliate damage. Caudal/posterior cruciate damage is not as serious as anterior. Ride and ski fine now 🙂

wwaswas

I 'bashed' my knee in September last year – was off the bike for two months and just been signed off by the physio (after an MRI showed no 'organic' damge) 'as there's nothing more to do' I have limited articulation in that knee now – doesn't stop me cycling but I can't 'squat' now.

not what you want to hear but get professional advice re: recovery and don't do too much too soon.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I was actually told that I would never be able to squat or kneel again but 4 years later and now worries doing either. I do get the odd aches and pains in it though – but that could be old age!
    My first big ride after and I crashed knee first into a rock at Dalby which was bloody typical!

Digby

I suffered a torn MCL & medial meniscus tear a couple of years ago… went to a sports physio straight away (by-passed the GP refereral) and did the recommended exercises & self-treatment religiously.

Back on the road bike within a couple of weeks and off-road within a month or so. Still try and do the recommended balance board exercises & stretching to reduce chances of further damage and avoid having to have surgery later (damaged MCL can seemingly result in ACL problems later due to joint instability).

All depends really on how bad the tear is and more importantly (apparently) how much small tissue damage was done by the subsequent swelling. I was lucky and got an ice compress on mine quite quickly.

Can't recommend going to see a quality sports physio strongly enough!

cruciatesnapper
    Free Member

I,ve snapped my acl 4 times on the same knee and torn pcl and snapped a quad muscle still riding wear a carbon brace. All you may find is that you may have to change youre pedalling style and ice after every ride.Also as many quad exercises to build quad strenght to help with any instabilty you may feel.Youll probably be able to use a stationary trainer to help with youre knee bend.

mattythemod
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback so far guys , i have been riding a singlespeed 29 er for the last 18 months , not sure if this is going to be the best recovery route ?

Creg

Fully ruptured my left ACL and damaged the meniscus 5 years ago snowboarding

6 weeks ago I re-ruptured the repaired ACL playing Frisbee in the park

Hope you heal up quick without any complications. Part of my phsyio was done on an exercise bike, just gentle stuff at first. I asked the physio about cycling outside and he said to go for it but avoid cleats at all costs, any kind of twisting motion (from a fall and being clipped in) on the knee will damage it again (his words not mine)

Conespanner

Welcome to my world. Dislocated my patella on 31st may in the lake district. Mountain rescue and helicopter ride to Whitehaven hospital, full works.

Leg in plaster for two weeks. Still on crutches with only 45 deg movement. Best summer for years and I can't get out. Physio won't touch knee as it is still too swollen after 7 weeks, just exercises for quad muscles.

MRI scan next monday results on 4th August. Not expecting to be pedalling until the winter months. Good luck matty….

mattythemod
    Free Member

Welcome to my world. Dislocated my patella on 31st may in the lake district. Mountain rescue and helicopter ride to Whitehaven hospital, full works.

Leg in plaster for two weeks. Still on crutches with only 45 deg movement. Best summer for years and I can't get out. Physio won't touch knee as it is still too swollen after 7 weeks, just exercises for quad muscles.

MRI scan next monday results on 4th August. Not expecting to be pedalling until the winter months. Good luck matty

fanks mate , its really hard on a nice summers day like today …it dont help i wrote my frame off in the crash and cant but help virtual shop online for a replacment …..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Torn Knee Ligaments , Cartilage cycle crash’ is closed to new replies.