Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Torn Acreomenclavicular after shoulder separation.
  • specialdrifter
    Free Member

Bare with me on this as i’m having to use my non favoured arm for every thing comp related.

As above suffered a shoulder separation with a torn (long ligament word). A n E said it would of been better to brake my colar bone :O. Did this on saturday….

Went to the fracture clinic yesterday and luckily I havnt damaged the rotor cuff so at this stage I dont need surgery.

I still have a month slinged up on recovery, what will the doc say if it hasnt healed after 1 month when i go back?

I’m expected to sleep sat up and i just cant manage it 🙁 and the tramadol makes me very sleepy.

I’m also hopefully waiting on a job offer to come through as well.

and they wouldnt give me a sling apart from the cheap woven bandage one so had to go my own proper sling, o cock 🙁

monsho
    Free Member

Did this in Sept 2011 – pain in the arse – what grade separation is it?

Took me 3 months to get back on the bike, still not right to be honest, end of collar bone sticks out, but it doesn’t give me much gip.

Sling lasted about a week, had a couple of sessions of physio but theres not an awful lot that could be done, just let it heal as best it can, dont sleep on that side etc.

Physio did loads of jockeys and rugby players, shoulder separation is par for the course, jockeys would have cortisone injection and be back on the horse in 3 days

specialdrifter
    Free Member

I think its a grade 2 or 3.

I’m lifeboat crew so it means a lot of timeoff of the boat 🙁

No cycling and i cant even go out to take photos.

A pain in the arse is an understatement

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Did mine Grade 3 a month before my first Alps trip for Passporte du Soleil. Had to have week off work doing very little but then I did the physio exercises fairly rigorously (the stirring the pot one was the worst) and was OK riding – in fact it was better on the bike than off. I bought a load of the special tapes and got my wife to tape me up before I went. Have quite a big lump now where the end of the collar bone sticks up and it does give a bit of gip when gardening (good excuse not to do any) etc but is ok most of the time on the bike.

The fracture clinic (Exeter) was great for me – two trips, proper sling, full tape up and instructions on how to do it and then the doctor’s surgery gave me a couple of physio sessions.

specialdrifter
    Free Member

ive been told to walk my hand up the wall on the 3rd week and thats it, was very much a rush in rush out affair :/

BigJohn

I did mine about a year ago (also between grade 2 & 3) and the consultant in A&E offered me surgery. I declined it and am pleased I did because it healed nicely. In fact the lump made by the end of the collar bone sticking up means that I can now carry a man bag on that shoulder without it slipping off. Basically one ligament is torn and will never re-join, the others are partly torn and will mend.

I went to see a sports physio who seemed to know a bit more about it and he gave me some very useful exercises and advice. Its essential to strengthen certain muscles around it and maintain range of movement.

I was back on the bike fairly soon (3 weeks, although I shouldn’t really have) I went windsurfing about 2 months after (now that gives the shoulder a good old wrenching) and now I don’t even think about it. There was some aching for a while but as long as your physio helps you learn where pain ends and damage begins you’ll be fine.

I build furniture for a living and can lift up solid wall cabinets no bother. No spring chicken either. Google or Bing A/C Separation and loads of good resources

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Torn Acreomenclavicular after shoulder separation.’ is closed to new replies.