Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Torchy/Other lights – making them more weatherproof
  • amedias
    Free Member

Collective hive mind of STW…

I’ve been using Exposure lights for years and love them to bits but for my regular daily rides it’s slowly but surely knackering the batteries so I’ve bought a couple of lights from Torchy, and a few cheap head units from China that will shortly be mated to some MTBBatteries, working on the assumption that i’ll get flexibility of lamp units, and more battery options, and can then keep the Exposures for when I’m racing.

First ride with the torchy head unit was good, and the first of the cheaper Chinese ones is pretty good for the money too, but It was properly wet last night and the Torchy lamp went a bit intermittent, was fine once shaken upside down and dabbed with some tissue around where the lead exits so I’m suspecting water ingress*.

I removed the bar clamp last night to see what kind of sealing there was there and the answer is basically nothing, a hole in the lamp body and the lead rattles around in it, held in place by the bar clamp when it’s screwed on, but nothing to stop moisture ingress.

My current plan is either clear silicone sealant or holt-melt glue to bung up the hole, and then refit the bar clamp, I’m assuming this will have no adverse effects? any better options? Is the rubber switch on the back likely to be sealed well enough or do you think I might have issues there too?

*ordered the water proof battery and that seems very well sealed so no worries at that end.

v666ern
    Free Member

that surgou mouldable putty stuff?

If its a torchy light i’d ask him the question, he seems very helpful.

for the battery, id use a ziplock bag and a ziptie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Torchy/Other lights – making them more weatherproof’ is closed to new replies.