Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Torches
  • daveturnbull
    Free Member

Righty then, so my Mini Maglite (AA size) has expired, through no fault of it’s own, shoddy duracell battery has leaked inside it and welded itself to the aluminium tube.

I need to replace it, but what with? I got it about 20 years ago. Are Maglite’s still the shiznitz, or is there a fancy new kid in town?

eskay

shoddy duracell battery has leaked inside it and welded itself to the aluminium tube.

There were some very dodgy Duracell batteries floating around recently. If you use them you may want to check where they were made.

If they were made in china then I would bin recycle them. The decent ones are made in Belgium (from memory).

We had a load of the Chinese batteries at work and they caused a load of damage (they are genuine).

I have a Maglite LED and it is great. Probably loads of cheaper versions around though.

stuey
    Free Member

for one AA battery these are great!

Slogo
    Free Member

led lenser they’re the shit! The new Maglight, i’ve got a few of them and love them to bits.

Best torches around!

Plus 20% off

daveturnbull
    Free Member

Quite liking those LED Lenser ones.

Looking at the specs, you seem to get about 140 to 200 ish lumens out of them. A cheapo CREE LED off eBay claims 2000 lumens, and there are some 9600 lumen ones on there too. I’m guessing that’s all lies tho and based on sums of the number of LED units they staple together and not actual tests….

Anyone know of an actual shop that stocks LED Lenser so I can suss out all the different sizes?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Map!in, or your local outdoorsy shop.

P20

I’ve got one of these Solarforce on my works keys. Way brighter than a mag lite of similar size. I’ve got a bigger 18650 solarforce and the quality is good on both

Slogo
    Free Member

yeah try maplins!

these Lensers come with a 3 year guarantee they really will last. ive got 3, one of which is 8 years old and still going strong it gets fully submerged daily in the summer.

check youtube too

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Duracell have a leak proof guarantee if the battery is in date iirc. Check the site and contact them

Also what do you want to use it for?

CHB

Can’t believe this topic has got so far without mention of Fenix torches.
    Simply the best I have owned.
    Sensible money, fantastic build quality.

Just Google Fenix torches for a choice of vendors.

CountZero

I’ve got any number of flashlights from dx.com, and apart from the occasional issue involving switches not being tightened up enough in the tailcap, all of the work fine, are all very bright, and are all pretty cheap. My favourite little light can be had from Amazon as well.
    http://dx.com/p/trustfire-r5-a3-cree-xp-e-r5-3-mode-230-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-39062?utm_source=dx&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=20120912
    Amazingly bright little light, can use AA batteries, but I use 14500 Li-ion rechargables, because they’re 3.7v, rather than 1.5v, so use the same charger as my bigger torches that take 18650 Li-ion batteries.

I’ve got a couple of Fenix torches, including one about the same size as the TrustFire above, but they’re three times the price, and the TrustFire is just as bright, and very well made, I’ve had mine for around three years now, and they get used regularly, at work, at home, on the bikes, using Twofish lockblocks.

Frankers
    Free Member

Our head office is based near LED Lensor in Solingen Germany, we recently purchased a load of single AA torches as giveaways for our customers, they do seem really well made.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

I have just started using the torch WYSIWYG is suggesting. Best used so far when caving and you wish to burn your way out through solid limestone. It’s the shiz.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

How theyre selling them for £4.99 posted I know not

Mr_C
    Free Member

I get mine from Amazon. Only £2.78 delivered. Not got the 3 modes of wyswigs link but incredibly bright for something at this price.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

How long for delivery, mine are HK specials too

CountZero

Myself, I’m not keen on zoomable LED lights, at the extreme end you get an image of the emitter rather than a nice smooth spot of light, which is why I like the little TrustFire, which has just about a perfect beam, with lots of throw.
    230 lumens, it’s quite good enough for riding dark country lanes at night. Fits neatly into a Fenix belt holster, too.

peajay

Had a led lenser P7 for a couple of years and think it’s brilliant, would get the new lenser P7.2 if I had to get another torch.

daveturnbull
    Free Member

UPDATE: Got the lil fekker out. Twas a Belgian made one. Mostly pressed out in the vice with a helpfully sized bolt. The screw in the end was just the last bit of extraction (and the failed first attempt yesterday).

I then proceeded to drop the plastic contact holder doofy on the floor and lost one of the contacts, so had to get inventive with a few scrap bits of wire.

End result is, maglite is 100% operational again – old faithful lives on (with energiser batteries this time). Still quite fancy a nice LED Lenser jobbie tho…

Slogo
    Free Member

oh you can get an adaptor for a mag light to replace the globe with a LED.

maglight LED

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Torches’ is closed to new replies.