Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Torch experts – need recommendation
  • mrplow
    Free Member

My dad is doing a Monte Carlo rally run in an old car with his friend in February, Glasgow to Monte Carlo. It is his first time doing this type of trip. I was thinking of getting him a high quality torch for any emergencies etc on the trip for his xmas.

I have a Fenix TK11 which is a lovely peice of kit. I would like to get something of this quality, power and size but with a wider beam if possible?

Thanks for any ideas or ideas for something better for the trip. :mrgreen:

gonzy
    Free Member

try the cree xm-l t6 system from c&b seen.
    it’s great value for money and comes with all the fitments so you can use it as a head torch. run time on the supplied battery is between 3-6 hours. it has a high and low beam setting, constant flash setting and an SOS flash setting. 1200 lumens for less than £45….cant go wrong.

micky
    Free Member

Ultra-fire cree torches are good and fairly cheap for what they are but you will need a lithium battery & charger. There are reviews for torches online and even forums like STW just for torches! Check out the reviews is my advice.

mark90
    Free Member

A few hundred lumens should do for that sort of use, unless he needs to replace the car headlight then a 1000+ bike light would be more use. I’d also be looking at something with easily replacable batteries rather than recharge only, ie AA/AAA or CR123. It’s not like he’ll need 4 hour burn time every other night for a ride. Better that the batteries hold charge until needed and are easily sourced/replaced when flat. Also worth considering head torch, as much more convenient if needing to do emergency work on the car etc. My main go to torch for most activities/trips these days is the LED lenser H7. Easily adjustable beam focus and brightness. But there is something to be said for the nice solid feel of a well made ally torch like the Fenix. You’d have to check out some reviews to get an idea of beam spread though for any torches that aren’t adjustable. Candlepower forums seems to be the STW of the torch geek world.

funkrodent

I’d also be looking at something with easily replacable batteries rather than recharge only, ie AA/AAA or CR123

+1 for that. Anything wrong with the Maglites? They’re robust as hell, have a strong beam that can be switched from spot to flood and in a pinch they’re a useful tool for self-defence purposes should the need arise – admittedly more likely in Glasgow than Monte Carlo, but even so.. 🙂
    In addition they can be picked up at any local B&Q or similar.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Torch experts – need recommendation’ is closed to new replies.