Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • torch
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a small torch. Seems to be loads out there and brain fried looking at them

deano8
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of Fenix torches, very powerful at 300 lumens and have been very reliable and charge lasts well.
    TK11 and TK15

CountZero

I’ve got a couple of Fenix torches, but this one is unbeatable for the money: http://dx.com/p/trustfire-r5-a3-cree-xp-e-r5-3-mode-230-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-39062?utm_source=dx&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=20120912
    You can get the same torch from Amazon as well, costs about the same. It will run on AA’s, but I use 14500 Li-ion rechargables, which run at 3.7v instead of 1.5v.
    I’ve got three of them, they’re easily bright enough to ride by, using Twofish Lockblocks, and they’re very well built and reliable.
    My go-to torch, always with me, in Fenix belt holsters. Mine are at least three or four years old, now, and like new.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

These wee £5 torches were recommended on here and are amazing for the size – IF – and thats a capital if – you have / can charge 14500 batteries(or 18650 batteries as they’re smaller but same charger usually).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181092276915&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Also note they work on AA’s as an emergency but dont last near as long.

Fit in jean pockets. Get proper roasting hot if left on too long though! Dont ask how I found that out.

backinireland
    Free Member

Thanks
    Take it 14500 battery same size as as?
    Can they use same charger?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

14500 and 18650 are just mimimeter dimensions for the the cells- they use the same tech inside. 3.7V nominal, 4.2v fully charged kind of thing.

Afaik a 14500 is 14mm diameter, 500 long (nominally). 18650- is 18×650 etc.

But all these cells have the same tech inside.

14500 are a teensy bit bigger than AA. But mentally /exponentially longer capacity. 18650/14500 can use the same charger.

AA and all that is totally different tech- not even 20th century: so all that duracell AA/AAA/C/D cell stuff is oldie stuff.

If in doubt show us a photo.

#Edit – a couple of quick edits there from me- if in doubt: dont.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘torch’ is closed to new replies.