Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Topping up sealant in tubeless tyres
  • cinnamon_girl

OK, here’s the thing … sealant added (Stan’s) followed by disco moves to squish it around. It’s now horizontal and will be left overnight, to be followed by some air.

Now … I seem to remember reading on here that bike should be taken for a wee pootle to ensure sealant has circulated in tyre?

Or should I be doing something else?

Thanks. 🙂

wwaswas

Once the air stops peeing out I tend to go around the block with the tyres at 40psi – forces sealant into any remaining holes. Then leave overnight for it to form a skin inside the tyre and drop to normal pressure to ride.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Sounds like you are ahead of the game.

to be followed by some air.

It already has some air, presumably, and you just intend to top it up tomorrow?

Flip it over a few times with disco moves in between so that both sidewalls seal up. Once you’ve done that a few times it should be fine, although leaving it flat on top of a bucket overnight won’t hurt. A spin round the block should help seal up any bits which aren’t sealed by lying flat.

cinnamon_girl

Not much air. Forgot to top up sealant as bike hasn’t been used for a long time. 😳

Should I add some air then or is it too late for that?

Thanks!

wwaswas

pump it up to 40psi and shake it around for a bit.

Kryton57

wwaswas – Member
    pump it up to 40psi and shake it around for a bit.

This. Once you can’t hear any leaks leave it overnight. If its deflated a bit in the morning pump and swizzle again.

Now go and ride and don’t let the words “instant deflation” worry you in the slightest.

eshershore
    Free Member

I would not “top up” but remove the tire, clean out the remnants of the Stan’s sludge and then refill with fresh sealant; you may find a very odd “alien spiky ball” which is what is left of your original Stan’s sealant 🙂

I used to work for the original UK distributor of Stan’s, but after many years of using Stan’s have found Bontrager tubeless sealant (Super Juice?) to be vastly superior to Stan’s, it does not leak or gum up the valves so readily, but stills seals any penetration punctures without issue

as well as finding numerous tubeless valve cores on the market to be superior which have additional ‘o’ring sealing to prevent leakage through the rim valve drilling

and tubeless tape from “Roval” which is 1/2 price of Stan’s yellow tape, stickier and much more secure

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – if you previously ran the tires tubeless w/Stan’s sealant and they hadn’t been removed from the wheel, all that you should have to do is add more sealant and inflate the tire. You should be able to use them right away.

As said above, sometimes the dry sealant forms a big lump inside the tire. If that is the case, it needs to be removed.

When I ran regular, made for tubes, tires with Stan’s, I usually added about an ounce of sealant to each tire once a month or so. I’m now running tubeless ready tires that are less porous, so I may top them off a little less frequently.

mactheknife

Ok maybe a stoopid question, does the sealant evaporate or does it just clump up?

Just setting up my first tubeless tyre today and been wondering this for a while. Also how do you know when and how much sealant to top up

rewski
    Free Member

It must evaporate, I’ve removed tubeless tyre and it’s been bone dry inside. The sealant does seem to form a rubber skin on the beading after removal. I just use one small cup full that comes with stans.

JoeG
    Free Member

Stan’s and other latex sealant dries out over time, sort of like latex paint. If there is no liquid sealant left, the tire should still hold air but won’t seal any sort of puncture.

If you ride regularly, it may just turn into a “skin” on the inside of the tire like a layer of dried paint. If the bike just sits, the sealant may solidify in one clump at the bottom of the tire. Some people have had a booger form when a clump of sealant rolls around inside the tire and keeps getting bigger like a snowball. I’ve never had this happen to me, though.

As far as when to top up; it depends on a lot of things. If the bike is stored somewhere hot (in a car in the summer) the sealant will dry more quickly. Regular (tube type) tires have thinner sidewalls than tubeless or tubeless ready tires. Best case, you may be able to shake the wheel and feel/hear that there is no liquid sealant left in the tire. Some people pry off a bit of the tire to look. I usually just add about 1 ounce of sealant every month or so.

I bought the core removal tool and injector which makes topping off the sealant a very quick and painless job.

[img]http://www.notubes.com/Assets/ProductImages/AS05-Injector-sm.jpg[/img]

cinnamon_girl

My top-up worked perfectly. 8) But really need to make a diary note of when to top-up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Topping up sealant in tubeless tyres’ is closed to new replies.