Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Topping up power steering fluid – anything to be cautious of?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

My steering has been making a whirring noise for a week or two. When stationary, if I turn the wheel either way, there is a vrrrrrrrrrrrr sound. I’ve checked the fluid reservoir and it is low. I’ve bought some fluid – automatic transmission fluid – which I was told is the same stuff. Are there any dos and don’ts to be aware of?

Ta

*feels a tad ashamed as at 42 years of age I’ve never topped up power steering fluid*

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No, just sling it in.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just pour it in to the max indicator. Can be done when engine hot or cold, no matter.

My wife had a Ka that had exactly that problem and pouring in the stuff always fixed it.

Beware though – not all cars can use auto fluid in the power steering (such as Hondas apparently).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As long as its the right stuff. Read the manual.

There’s at least two different types of ATF!

Waderider
    Free Member

Be careful not to drink or intravenously inject any. Unless you yourself are a power steering system, in which case you may take a little turn.

Have your wheels straight.

molgrips
    Free Member

There is more than one type of PS fluid… Make double sure it’s the right stuff.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What car is it by the way?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Don’t mistake it for eyewash.

Waderider
    Free Member

Probably not too good for colonic irrigation either.

Cougar

Assuming it’s the correct fluid (RTFM),

Top it up, start the engine, put full lock on in both directions a couple of times, then stop the engine and check the level again.

derek_starship
    Free Member

It’s a Hyundai Tucson.

I’ve just put ATF in without checking the manual.

What else can cause whirring noises when the wheel us turned?

Nothing expensive I hope.

Dancake
    Free Member

+1 for read the manual. My passat is mineral only for example (green stuff I think)

or maybe its the opposite,. there are different types though

My Sis-in-law’s Focus made a lot of whirring noises very shortly before emptying all its Power steering fluid on my Block paving – bearing on the Power steering pump failed

HTH

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Topping up power steering fluid – anything to be cautious of?’ is closed to new replies.