Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Top UK Disappoinments
  • khani
    Free Member

Fort William, great as a base to go and do stuff in the surrounding areas, crap as a place in itself, the highlight is Wetherspoons..
    and it’s got the crappest chippy I’ve ever been in, and I’ve been to Cumbernauld! [shudders]

richmtb

and it’s got the crappest chippy I’ve ever been in

Yeah and the Indian is shit too

mechanicaldope

Cadbury World.

AlexSimon

Cheshire
    The Vale of York (excluding York)

matt_outandabout

Our football team.

binners

Anfield

scotroutes

The English electorate

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The English electorate

It’ll all come right now we’re going back to our roots. The stench of disappointment will evaporate to be replaced by Proper Lager, Proper Cheese and Onion Crisps, Proper Pork Products and Proper English-nessness.

What part of ‘proper’ could ever be disappointing?

perchypanther
    Free Member

What part of ‘proper’ could ever be disappointing?

The proper-ganda?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Nah, only those leftie bed-wetters believe there was any of that. The only propaganda came from them, claiming it was all about ‘racism’ etc.

matt_outandabout

The national approach to pie making.

dragon
    Free Member

Fort Bill, Aviemore and Inverness are all disappointing.

binners

Getting a casserole with a puff pastry lid, when you ordered a pie 😥

perchypanther
    Free Member

The predictability of Binners and his propieganda

binners

I is an evangelist, innt?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Campbeltown and the Kintyre Peninsula. Not sure what I expected but I was very disappointed.

Why one of the richest people in the Country would want a home there, I have no idea.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m reading this thread with the theme that accompanied the chart rundown during Top Of The Pops circa 1987.

“At number twenty two we have Clacton-On-Sea with the ambience of jellied eels, nylon sports wear, BO and knackered Fords with leaking exhausts”

“Down one at twenty one, we have Luton with binge drinking, three-days worn underwear and sweaty kebabs”

rone

Aviemore is great , how could you put it into this list . Good restaurants , pubs , it’s clean busy , safe , and appears prosperous .

Too right. Aviemore is the most ideal place I’d like to live in the UK. We all know about the riding … When I stay there it doesn’t feel like anything else in the UK. Sure it’s got its out of date Hotels etc but at least it has consumer activity and many great spots for food too.

It’s the only place I would really want to move to.

There’s never much for sale either.

dovebiker

North Yorkshire was an acute disappointment, obsessed about its wilderness to find Swaledale was a barren landscape denuded of any wildlife for the sake of the grouse shooting – having killed-off all the top predators, the ground was strewn with rabbit carcasses, shot to try and control the rampant population. I can take a walk locally and see buzzards, red kites and foxes, didn’t see any there.

We walked 10 miles to Gunnerside to find the pub, shop and café all closed during lunchtime in July….with the Tour a few weeks earlier they’d obviously decided they’d had their fill of tourists.

To cap it off were the bikers at weekends, riding at stupid speeds on narrow roads, you could hear the engines screaming for miles – hardly peaceful!

whitestone
    Free Member

If you think the bikers are bad in Swaledale, just head down to the Hawes – Ribblehead – Ingleton/Settle roads, they are bad enough that the ambulance crews park up nearby so that they are closer to the accident call outs 😥

The King’s Head in Gunnerside is a bit odd but there’s a lot worse (well it’s the landlords really).

dragon
    Free Member

Aviemore for me is on the list because its ugly, busy, and right next to a massive main road. Oh and while there maybe is decent food, I never found it. There are far nicer places in Scotland to live IMO.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yorkshire.
    Expected more varied/interesting landscape but surprised at how flat a lot of it was and not all that bucolic. Very overrated.

Admit it. You went to Selby and Doncaster didn’t you?

stevextc
    Free Member

Most places seem to divide into nice places to live OR visit and a few doubtless have no endearing features at all.

I live in Woking which is unremarkable in every way… but its a decent place to live and within 30 minutes of Surrey Hills or Swinley and should you wish or be required only 20 mins by train to London.

London has to top the bill as disappointing for me though.
    Not really because of the well known negatives but because when you live and work there its so much effort to get out and also you never seem to have time to do the stuff that is “good” about it…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    Yorkshire.
    Expected more varied/interesting landscape but surprised at how flat a lot of it was and not all that bucolic. Very overrated.
    Admit it. You went to Selby and Doncaster didn’t you?

In his defence it covers everywhere east of the a1 pretty much.

ratnips
    Free Member

Madame Tussaud…a baffling disappointment.

johnx2
    Free Member

You lot have failed to set your expectations sufficiently low.

Cougar

Stone henge

That’s a good shout. It’d probably be pretty cool if you could get near the bloody thing, rather then viewing it though a wire mesh fence from fifty yards away.

The Tower of London was another expensive mistake.

Wookster

Big Ben……I remember thinking it’s not very well….”Big”
    😆

gobuchul
    Free Member

In his defence it covers everywhere east of the a1 pretty much.

Your’re right. Don’t bother, nothing to see.

nickc

Agree about Llanberis, for a town at the foot of the most popular mountain in Southern Britain it spectacularly under-delivers, a couple of desultory pubs and pete’s eats clearly trading on former ‘glory’

bodgy
    Free Member

The whole of Cornwall.

scotroutes

Ah – I was about to ask why it “disappointed” you 0 genuinely interested as it’s good to hear opinions. I guess that, like many places on this list (Cornwall? Really?) it depends on your expectations.

It’s certainly true that, when we were looking to move north, Aviemore wasn’t originally on our short list, despite the fact we’ve holidayed and visited here for decades. We were considering West Coast villages with a sea view. Then reality bites and you realise that, while it’s lovely living 15 miles along a single-track road, there are no jobs, no pubs and it’s a one-hour+ trip to get a pint of milk 🙂

I guess there’s something good about it – that’s what makes it “busy” (for a certain definition of busy I’m barely familiar with). If you haven’t found decent food in and around Aviemore then you’re plainly visiting the wrong establishments.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Bit rich criticizing Aviemore because it’s next to a main road . When you are there you wouldn’t even know the A9 was close . If it ran through the centre of town then I would agree but it doesn’t . I thought that having good road and rail links was a good thing . 20 years ago it seemed pretty tired but it seems to have made big improvements since then .

scotroutes

That’s what makes it busy I guess. If it had neither it would surely be a lot quieter. Of course it would then have fewer shops, pubs, hotels, restaurants etc. Hence my question about expectations – e.g. I’ve been to Cornwall and it was almost exactly as I’d expected it to be so it wasn’t a disappointment

deadkenny
    Free Member

Swinley Forest 😛

Wookster

deadkenny – Member
    Swinley Forest

POSTED 23 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Ah that’s ‘cos you were going around it in under an hour…..if you’d taken your time to enjoy it…….

wittonweavers
    Free Member

There are worse places than Skipton.

I agree but establishing the worst places was the point of the other thread. This ones about towns that are a bit of a let down and don’t quite deliver in the way you might expect them to!

chestrockwell

I will also stick up for Skipton. Granted, if you turn up on a wet Tuesday in December it can be as bleak as anywhere else but it’s a lovely place to live and a safe place to bring up children. I have no desire to leave. Actually, it’s horrible so all you tourists feel free to not come here and block up everywhere

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Top UK Disappoinments’ is closed to new replies.