Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Top tips to stop a new washing machine dancing around the kitchen?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I bought a new washing machine yesterday. I levelled it up with a spirit level and removed the transporting bushes. On the spin cycle it hops about. The floor is sound and level, what can I do to stop it doing the Macarena.

GrahamS

Have you definitely got all the feet making good solid contact with the ground when you levelled it?
    It’s very easy to have it levelled on just three feet which then turns into a wobble when it gets going.

coconut
    Free Member

Transit bolts still in ? They are long (6 to 10inch) bolts to stop the drum moving in transit. Failing that check the concrete block is not cracked in the back ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

Heavy log inside the drum should sort that I would have thought 😉

What he said it cannot be level – is it a known fault with this machine or is your floor especially frictionless?

Kicker board to stop it moving?

br
    Free Member

get the wife to sit on it? 😉

project
    Free Member

BBC Watchdog did a series of articles about washing machines self destructing and destroying the worktops above, due to an inbalance in the bearing drum.

google drum inbalance in washing machines.

is it new, was it boxed or poly wrapped on delivery, if not a may be a return, and should be rejectd under sale of goods laws.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

is it new, was it boxed or poly wrapped on delivery, if not a may be a return, and should be rejectd under sale of goods laws.

Yep, new and poly wrapped. The floor is of regular floor boards. I’ll check the feet again this evening and try another wash. If I can’t get it to sit happily I’ll call Currys in the morning.

maccruiskeen

Have you removed the ‘transit brick’?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=779fMc8ubOo[/video]

bensales
    Free Member

Floorboards vibrate which causes it. Ours does it due to a combination of traditional floorboards over a void, and a laminate floor on top of that that’s very smooth. Cured it with a bit of non-slip matting under each floor once levelled.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/rolson-non-slip-mat

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Floorboards vibrate which causes it. Ours does it due to a combination of traditional floorboards over a void, and a laminate floor on top of that that’s very smooth. Cured it with a bit of non-slip matting under each floor once levelled.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/rolson-non-slip-mat

I think that might do the trick.

I had a read up on the Samsung website, the load in the last wash was quite light, it suggests that might have led to an imbalance. We tried it yesterday with a much bigger load of towels and it worked fine. I’ll try the non slip mat route and a heavier load.

sv

There isnt a large block of expanded polystyrene underneath the drum? There was one on our new one last week. Seems to be in addition to the transit bolts 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

Loading towels or similar on a full spin will make it bounce. A load of normal clothing shouldn’t.

russianbob
    Free Member

That guy is clearly a ****. EVERYONE knows you turn jeans, even shit ones, inside out before putting them in the wash.

carlos
    Free Member

sv – Member
    There isnt a large block of expanded polystyrene underneath the drum? There was one on our new one last week. Seems to be in addition

Defo check for this. My Dad nearly trashed Mums new washer because of this. He swore black was white he’d removed ALL the packing and bolts. A quick tilt of the machine and a look from underneath discovered a house brick sized piece nicely wedged in. Took it out and hey presto, spinning like a… Errr spiny thing 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It could be worse, it could be dancing on the ceiling! 😆

ade9933
    Free Member

change the music?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Load it properly, HTH

toofarwest

Move it to the media room?

dmorts

Worth a double check on any transit bolts

Kahurangi

+1 polystyrene block under the drum!

Cougar

I had a read up on the Samsung website, the load in the last wash was quite light, it suggests that might have led to an imbalance.

That’s what I was going to say. My mum had a new machine, she was scared of overloading it and it tried to shake itself to bits. Engineer came out, said “fill it up!” and it’s been fine since.h

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Top tips to stop a new washing machine dancing around the kitchen?’ is closed to new replies.