• This topic has 40 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • top tips for grooms – 13 dsys to go
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

13 days until my wedding thing. google is failing me in quite a spectacular fashion when it comes to finding ‘top tips for grooms’ as its either lists generated by the marketing departments of websites that sell wedding gifts or its articles written by wimmin giving advice on exactly how a groom should dress.

but what about the grooms enjoyment of the day?

as a forum used mainly by men, i’m hoping, despite the fact you’re all lycra wearing weirdos with imaginary girlfriends/wives 😉 , that you might have some top tips for enoying the day or for preperation?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Your getting married to the person you want to spend the rest of your life with!

is that not enough?

anagallis_arvensis

by some running shoes and start sprint training

Basil

Not more than two fingers of vodka before getting in the car to the church.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Be sure to have one more wipe, just in case.

cheers_drive

19 ways until my wedding thing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just remember that It’s her day, not yours. She’s been planning this since she was a little girl ans long before she met you. You’re just the bloke in the suit.

Remember this after the wedding and you’ll nit go far wrong.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Make sure she has everything organised for you.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I got hammered on my wedding day, don’t do that. It’s not a good look.

Rich_s

Keep your speech short and say very nice things about swmbo. Get precisely one major dig in about your best man, then sit down and take it…

philconsequence
    Free Member

Your getting married to the person you want to spend the rest of your life with!

is that not enough?

yeah, but shouldn’t the day be fun for the groom too? after all, she gets to marry me, the lucky lucky thing 8)

NZCol

Try and squeeze a knees trembler in before the meal. Preferably with your new wife.

tazzymtb

get as much sex as humanly possible. As soon as the ink is dry on the certificate, monks in remote monastic orders will be getting more.

philconsequence
    Free Member

lol i knew these would be the kinda responses i’d get!

stox
    Free Member

I got married 6 weeks ago … Just go with the day….assuming you have your speech organised and rehearsed, the day should just kind of flow along. It did for us, it’s all in the planning. Not that I did much of it!

We had a church ceremony so we had a rehearsal the evening before which was a great idea. Because of that, I wasn’t nervous at all about the ceremony itself because I knew what was going to happen. For me it was just the speech that was on my mind but even then, it’s not like you are the best man so I didn’t feel the pressure on that and it showed – I actually really enjoyed it.

After that, eat, drink and mingle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

At my mates wedding people tried to get him plastered by dropping vodka into pins they were giving him. As he was getting so many beers given to him he gave them to me and his dad.

That ended badly

PiknMix
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member

yeah, but shouldn’t the day be fun for the groom too? after all, she gets to marry me, the lucky lucky

good point, your enjoyment then rest on the fact of how lucky she is haha.

cheez0
    Free Member

my top tip.

turn up at the right venue, before the bride.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just remember to enjoy yourself and not get drunk. And tell all the females that matter that they look beautiful/wonderful/pretty as appropriate.

br
    Free Member

yeah, but shouldn’t the day be fun for the groom too? after all, she gets to marry me, the lucky lucky thing

Nope, not a good start – as was said above, its her (and if she’s no sisters, her Mum’s and if you’ve no sisters, your Mum’s too day).

Advice I was given from my Dad – “just turn up”.

Drac

Get drunk, it’s your wedding.

wallop

You’ll get props for life if you actually manage to consummate your marriage on the wedding night…. 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

lol i’m planning on taking dracs advice and making it physically impossible to do so 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

cheers for the replies btw guys, just what i needed to inform the blog

Top tips for the groom… http://awinterbottomwedding.blogspot.com/2012/08/top-tips-for-groom.html

cheez0
    Free Member

oh, and whatever you do, do NOT have an online blog detailing all the preparations and events of the day, just to be used against you on w-day +1 and forever after.

oh.

philconsequence
    Free Member

😆

better i write it than she does presenting the wimmin’s side of things only!

DezB
    Free Member

If you do get too drunk on the day (and it’s very easy with all the champagne flowing) to make the most of the wedding night, this will NEVER EVER be forgotten. Ever.

wrightyson
    Free Member

After yesterday’s events, hire a hottub!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

and remember one good gauranteed to put a woman off sex for life is her own wedding cake

Just go with the flow, smile loads, thank everybody, say yes, and alternate wine and water during the food, then in the evening go for it!!!

BurnBob
    Free Member

Sounds like a minor tip but beleive me you will appreciate it: nominate a mate to bring you a beer or two whilst getting your photos done, you will be gasping for over an hour and it’s poor form to leave during photos! Most of all, enjoy it cos it will fly by.

Bunnyhop

The day goes faster than Danny Hart on a DH run.
    Make sure you tell her how lovely she looks before you start the speech and spend some time with her.
    Hubby and I were so busy trying to meet and greet various people, mingle and dance with friends and family whom we hadn’t seen for ages, that we didn’t spend much time with each other.

Oh and don’t get so drunk that you dance madly, land on your new bride’s foot, causing it to swell up the next morning, so that your 3 day walking honeymoon in the Lake District is spent with her on crutches 😳

emma82
    Free Member

Bunny hop is right, it goes so blummin fast. Try and drag her away even if it’s just for ten minutes, have a cuddle, tell her how mazing she is then go back to battle with with crowds 🙂 we didn’t get to say more than about four words to one another all night! That’s the one thing I regret, we were both entertaining and he I think forgot it was his wedding and went into ‘man at pub with mates’ mode and ended up drunk, we both had a lovely day but it would have been nice to snatch a private moment or two. Just enjoy every second, things will go wrong, won’t go to plan or turn out different and it really won’t matter. A year on (today is our first anniversary) we still smile about the whole day. 🙂 enjoy!!

jon1973
    Free Member

after all, she gets to marry me

But on the plus side, at least she’ll have lots of nice presents.

Squidlord
    Free Member

– Do not be too traditional and have your stag the night before the wedding. It hurts.
    – If you do, start drinking ASAP the next morning to get you back to a relatively normal state by the time of the wedding. It works.
    – If your fiance’s friend offers to transport the bride & the bridesmaids to the ceremony, check she didn’t part exchange her car for a Transit the week before.
    – Do not book taxis from a start-up firm that is inexperienced but cheap and very keen. They will make a big effort with decorating the cars, but will get lost on the way from the ceremony to the reception. (Having said that, “French Connection” style dashes up one way streets in a convoy of cars covered in white ribbon is quite good fun, if a bit embarrassing).
    – Put a lot of effort into mingling/entertaining the all the grannies & great-aunts all day. Push malt whisky on the granddads and great-uncles. It will cost a lot of time and money, but buys you a lifetime of goodwill from the wider family.
    – This is very hard work, so if you can, slip off to a nearby pub with your new missus and a couple of your very closest friends to relax for an hour under the pretext of “doing some more photos”.
    – Most importantly, have a lovely day.
    [Post approved by Mrs Squidlord, who adds – a little frostily – “always tell your wife that you would do the whole day again if you could”]

Dancake
    Free Member

Don’t let the best man drink pints of wine at the evening do. Thats exactly what I did last night and I ended up upsetting people and sleeping on the Sofa when I got home.

brakes
    Free Member

make sure the sun’s shining. even shit weddings are good if the sun’s out.

oh and if someone gets too drunk and makes a tit of themselves it’s your best man’s job to deal with them and you can feel like Al Pacino by asking him to “make Uncle Dave disappear”

patriotpro
    Free Member

Just blooming enjoy it would be my advice 😀

It’s the best-man and ushers that need to sweat the small-stuff.

Good-luck and congratulations!

bruk

Enjoy it. Don’t get too pissed, you want to remember it. I’d suggest having a word with all the speech makers and tell them to keep it short. Take some time to spend with your wife, don’t spend all night apart looking after your guests.

1 of my favourite memories was my step brother asking for a ‘brown’ water for my dad who was requesting whisky but already worse for wear. He climbed in 1 door of the taxi, shuffled over and fell out the other side. Great day and some great photos reportage style which helps with remembering the party too.

Kryton57

My wedding was at 2pm. I got up (to an empty house) at 11, cooked myself a stunning full breakfast. At 12:30, I was in the local Barbers getting a “proper” shave and haircut.

At 1:30 I watched an England Rugby game for 15 mins while getting dressed in my best tucker, then shot off with best man to the pub opposite the Church. Two bacardi’s later and at 14:10, I was all ready in the front row.

Then, I spent the next 12 hours celebrating the best decision of my life while remaining sober enough to talk sensibly.

It goes so bloody fast though, you need to relax, enjoy it and remember (in a slightly selfish way which you should on no account apologise for) its all about you and your wife, just for 24hrs, the two of you and no one else.

Its your celebration. Enjoy (and congratulations).

user-removed
    Free Member

Speaking as a wedding photographer, and married man…

Send a bunch of flowers and a card to wherever your wife to be is getting ready. Massive brownie poinnts.

If you can get away with not shaving in the morning, then don’t – guaranteed shaving cuts and rash (or as above ^^^ get a proper pro job done).

Thanks your own parents (as well as the bride’s parents) in your speech – it’s an ideal opportunity to say (nice!) things you might otherwise never be able to.

Get your photographer to take the pair of you away for 20 minutes – as already mentioned, it’s often the case that the only person you don’t speak to all day is your new wife – the photos give you a chance to chill out and chat.

Best of luck 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘top tips for grooms – 13 dsys to go’ is closed to new replies.