Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Top tip required – braided brakelines through enclosed guides – easier way?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Trying to fit some braided lines to a new build, the frame has enclosed guides for the rear brake line… have managed to get the line through one (with much cursing) and now face another 3 to go which arr proving just as difficult! Once the line is through things are fine, it's not tight or anything, it's just getting the cut end through in the first place that's causing me grief… so, any top tips for the home mechanic? Or do I just have to be forceful and patient?

cheers 🙂

jam-bo

trim the end to a point and then recut once your through?

be thankful your not trying to get it through a five swingarm, spent an hour or so cursing the designer that came up with that hose routing last night….

psychle
    Free Member

trim the end to a point and then recut once your through?

Good top tip! shall give it a try 🙂

wwaswas

with braided the other thing to do is to put a really tight wrap of electrical tape around it prior to cutting (it helps avoid frays) and leave it on whilst threading.

psychle
    Free Member

hurrah, success… though now I discover that I've ordered the hose a tad too short 😳 could've used an extra 50mm or so, **** it!… 👿

angryratio
    Free Member

solve the short hose with a 90degree connector.
    Tis what i did on a bike.

psychle
    Free Member

oooh, what's that then? google doesn't throw any light (well it does, but what type of 90 degree connector am I looking for, I'm guessing not HDMI right? 😆 )

EDIT: a-ha, found it… but how will that help me?

angryratio
    Free Member

if your running hope stuff (assumption there) it just meant my hoses route towards the toptube was more direct.. and the loop at the bars did'nt need to be so big. (i botched cutting the hose basically)

CheesybeanZ

old wire coat hanger or welding rod , but a kink in the end feed through with brake pipe taped to it

allthepies
    Free Member

cut a strip of plastic milk carton and roll into a funnel type shape, put the narrow end of the funnel into the hose guide and feed the hose through. The funnel shape will direct the hose into the hose guide.

psychle
    Free Member

cheers chaps… plenty of good options there 🙂 have now ordered another hose length, this time with a fair bit extra for safety! a lesson learnt 🙄

bigyinn
    Free Member

Spare front hose now?

psychle
    Free Member

indeed… though it's a little short for this bike I hope it'll come in handy another time 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Top tip required – braided brakelines through enclosed guides – easier way?’ is closed to new replies.