Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • top swin or bottom swing front mechs
  • paul123
    Free Member

whats the difference and is one better than the other?

Looking at an XT mech to fit a 2x chainset

Cheers

JohnnyPanic

Both work OK but some bikes may be limited as to which will fit. On a Meta 5 for example you can only fit a top swing. On a Foxy you need a direct fit Mech. Also pay attention to whether you need top or bottom pull, though most are dual pull now.

james
    Free Member

IMO if you have a choice on your bike as to which will fit, I’d go with a bottom swing as it won’t collect mud like a top swing will and hopefully last a touch longer. On a hardtail I think they look better too, especially on larger frames
    On many full suss bikes for eg only a top swing will fit though (or an E-type, or a direct mount, or .. )

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alexpalacefan

Top swing.

Bottom swing.

I’ve found that with top-tube routed cables the route from the cable-guide above to a bottom swing mech is often at quite an extreme angle, particularly on a shorter seat tube. For this reason I always use top swing in that situation.

APF

jonba
    Free Member

I’d also go for bottom swing because of the mud issue. I also think they look better.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Top swing on my FS as thats the only one that’ll fit, bottom swing on my HT as it’s the type I’ve got in the box if bits I’m building it from

HermanShake
    Free Member

Go with the same approach as your other mech. I think it looks cleaner to have the cables going the same route.

Personally I prefer the look of top, but have heard bottom is better (but I don’t know why!

ransos
    Free Member

My experience is that top swing mechs go sloppy at the pivots quite quickly, but that could be bad luck.

thebunk

Sooo…what is the actual difference? 😳

Superficial
    Free Member

The difference is the band on a “conventional” (AKA bottom swing) mounts higher up on the seattube compared with ‘top swing’ ones. Functionally, there isn’t any difference really, just get whichever one your frame needs. On a hardtail you can probably choose whichever, but a lot of full sus are limited due to positioning of pivots and linkages etc.

paul123
    Free Member

cheers guys opted for the top swing to make sure it fits under teh pivots and welds etc and I think they look better as well.

Ta

Rickos
    Free Member

Oh. Seems I had my top and bottom mixed up in my classifieds ad then. 😳
    Good job I put pikturs on the ad!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘top swin or bottom swing front mechs’ is closed to new replies.