Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)
  • Top speeds
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

I've recorded 51mph going down buster hill nr Petersfield. Nice long steep grassy slope with a slight tailwind, how could i fail?
    Bearing in mind im 6'5" and 17st so gravity was certainly helping me that day!

RealMan
    Free Member

Time for you guys to MTFU. I do 50mph track standing. On my BMX.

On a serious note, I did hit 71.3mph on my unicycle once.

stumpy01

here is my willy, watch me wave it.

ive seen bike computers and gps units give very dodgy readings

Yeah, OK….. 🙄

My last bike computer routinely displayed 400mph+ (even when stationary) which I generally dis-regarded and took off the bike not long after.
    But the computer that recorded 53mph was fairly consistent and tallied well with speeds achieved when commuting. Undoubtedly some error in it's readings but probably no more than +/-10%.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

If I went by my GPS the fastest I've been off road is 100.2MPH in Woburn.

I can't recall the speed exactly, but I remember racing when the early computers came out. I remember the riders gathering around to read the fantastics speeds after the race. I thought it was 39 it might have been 49 MPH.
    I don't think I've ever been down a hill that was steep as well as straight?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I rode downhill under some power lines and my computer read 740kmh – which is pretty quick I think you'll all agree.

Do I win?

Duke
    Free Member

I once did an inverted negative-g pushover with a Mig.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I just worry that something might fall off over a certain speed (30ish) – it never has but it's always in my mind – not useful.

Happy to do 40++ on a waterski, snow skis and the like – for some reason they feel safer (?!). A very nasty MTB crash a while back doesn't help.

I've "calibrated" my bike computers by measuring the exact distance to an object a mile away so they should be pretty accurate.

jacko54321
    Free Member

fastest i have gone is 48 on my road bike legs wouldnt go fast enough to go any faster,

think we need to start some other willy waving topic, maybe who has jumped the furthest. i once jumped so far i went all the way round the world!

rkk01
    Free Member

Happy to do 40++ on a waterski, snow skis and the like

Never had any idea about how fast on skis, but have always been interested.

It generally feels much faster than mountain biking…

BigJohn

My top speed down Radford Bank is nearly as fast as the average speed in the Tour de France.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don't think I've ever been down a hill that was steep as well as straight?

We used this:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=269240&Y=361350&A=Y&Z=120

Had to ride up first and open a few gates.. plus there's a main road and a stone wall at the bottom so you have to brake ON the hill.

This one is where we got 48mph laden:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=291000&Y=321995&A=Y&Z=120

Must be one of the highest density of chevrons anywhere on the OS maps?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I once rode so fast I caught up with time itself and appeared to be standing still. Then I fell over.

DezB
    Free Member

Sam Hill says he does 80-90km/h

Duke
    Free Member

That's because I was travelling both faster and slower than you, got there 1st or possible never arrived and then pushed you over both before and after you had arrived.

Time travel is fun.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Never had any idea about how fast on skis, but have always been interested.

With waterskis – usually mono at 30+ knots boat speed. Flinging yourself across the wake as fast as possible adds a lot to this number. It hurts if you fall in but you never break anything. I find speed over water usually feels quicker – 40 knots in our boat (just over 40mph) feels like about 90 in a car!

For snow skis – done timed runs on ski slopes of a known distance then worked it out (did a race once too) – I'm not a great skiier but easily reach 40++mph.

stumpyjon

48.9 twice on the same bit of hill (Pendle Hill Clitheroe side). Once on a lightweight HT with knobblies and once on a converted hardtail with 1.5 slicks. Both recorded with a Cateye Strada Wireless (which is very reliable and one of the least prone to interference) backed up by a slight lower reading from a GPS (GPS always seems to read lower).

I think at these speeds it is everything to do with drag, wind resistance, length of run and weight and has very little to do with fitness or gearing.

It does seem high forties is the max realistic speed for standard two wjeel bike, higher on a tandem makes sense as there is more weight for relatively less drag, therefore greater acceleration.

RealMan
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That's because I was travelling both faster and slower than you, got there 1st or possible never arrived and then pushed you over both before and after you had arrived.

LOL – I wished you could have warned me, I would have clipped out of the SPDs

RealMan
    Free Member

(GPS always seems to read lower).

Don't GPS measure your horizontal speed? Therefore, down a hill, the GPS would measure lower then a wheel magnet computer.

Duke
    Free Member

Sorry to jump this thread with a serious question but shouldn't 29ers have a higher (theoretical) top speed?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stumpyjohn – on the tandem with 4 sets of panniers we topped out at under 40 mph on glencoe road. You could just feel it hitting a wall of wind resistance. The panniers acting as air brakes effectivly.

RealMan
    Free Member

What goes faster, a monster truck or a f1 car?

I think at these speeds it is everything to do with drag, wind resistance, length of run and weight and has very little to do with fitness or gearing.

Weight is like 80%. Getting aero is 15%. Type of bike 5% perhaps.

Surfr
    Free Member

111MPH http://connect.garmin.com/activity/37649713

or more realistically when I moved from iPhone to Garmin Edge 500 for GPS

42.7MPH on Sunday http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40077854

rkk01
    Free Member

I'm now very much looking forward to getting my old road bike up and running again…

53/39 on the front. The 20mm Conti GP tyres always felt quite skittish at speed though.

Did a very short test ride at the w/e and all seemed to work, although it was a very useful ride to tweak positions on bars / saddle etc. Hasn't got a working speedo at the mo. Waiting for delivery of a spare mount so I can use my mtb speedo on it.

Ed2001
    Free Member

I told you it would

rkk01
    Free Member

Weight is like 80%. Getting aero is 15%. Type of bike 5% perhaps

That feels like it's all the wrong way around…!?

Certainly weight has a big impact on initial acceleration when you first point downhill. At 15-15.5st I really notice this, especially when skiing. I can easily out accelerate far better skiiers from start, and carry momentum easier / further across flat sections (if I get right down on the skis).

Type of bike and air resistance will be more important for sustained speed, surely?

nickc

40 on the mountain bike, on a straight road hill going into High Wycombe (some-one else's computer, which must be the dodgiest claim ever)

high 40/ low50 ish on the road bike, on a very long gentle slope (pedal like mad) followed by a short sweeping drop into a village, keep off the brakes, take it wide, hope no cars are coming the other way. It's a rush…

jeffl

@nickc – Which hill into HW, assume it must have been Amersham hill or Marlow hill? Used to-do Amersham hill on a regular basis (ride into work) on my old early 90's rockhoper with canti brakes. But was always concerned about some twonk opening a door or turning right across me to go too fast.

phiiiiil

I managed 49.9mph on a mtb down Old Wyche Road in Malvern once; I was gutted that I couldn't manage just 0.1mph faster. Normally it was somewhere in the region of 40-45mph down that road.

On the cross bike I seem to have a terminal velocity of about 38mph unless I'm draughting something; I just can't go any faster however much I may try to pedal or crouch. Down the same hills our brick-shaped van will still be accelerating to much higher speeds due to gravity alone, it's not fair!

Junkyard
    Free Member

lowey – Member
    Around the 50mph mark coming down from Drum mountain into Llanfairfechan.

I went past this guy with the GPS.

Scared myself shitless when I hit the brakes.

Splurts coffee over screen overtook me my @rse
    It was very fast and there was some serious brake tinging and fried pads when we all broke for the gate

About 55 mph on the road bike and someone overtook me

robdob
    Free Member

I managed 50mph in the Peaks once down a gravel farmers track. Wired computer (never had wireless). 50mph on the road bike is much easier. Depends a lot on the wind round here though.

Don't know why people might think 40mph+ must be "fantasy", it's pretty easy in hillier areas without much trouble. I always try to get the maximum though by spinning out top gear. I used to run a 50/12 on the MTB when non compact chainsets were the norm. It was ace!

willard

I feel ashamed… I've not even managed to get the "30 mph zone" sign to tell me that I am going too fast as I enter my village down a decent hill.

If some little scrote hadn't knicked my gps mount, I'd be able to tell you the exact depth of my shame.

Coyote
    Free Member

Early to mid 30's. But then I *am* honest. I also start to feel like death himself is standing over my shoulder.

PhilO
    Free Member

Interesting that people are mentioning gear ratios; I find that top speeds normally occur above the speed that you spin-out, so pedalling is irrelevent. 😉

For the record, I've clocked* 53mph three times on three seperate bikes, here.

The 18mm-tyred road bike maxed-out at exactly the same speed as the nobbly-tyred singlespeed – probably because the limiting factor on that road is how late you dare leave the braking for the corner at the bottom, and road brakes are cr@p in comparison to those on MTBs… 😀

I must take the recumbent up there at some point…

* which may or may not be accurate, but the computers used seemed fairly good elsewhere and riding the same route on a motorbike I 'feel' that the speed wasn't wildly inaccurate.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

58 mph down East Chevin Road in to Otley, based on my bike computer which is accurate to my car at 30mph. It doesnt really feel that quick to me, but once my sun glasses came off and just stuck to my chest.

PhilO Gearing makes a huge difference. If I was to go down the same hill without peddling like mad on the top section I doubt I would get above 45mph.

You really know when your shifting when you need to start planning ahead in your mind and slight movements catch the air etc etc. On skis 70mph plus gets to be fun!

BlobOnAStick

Got 60.4mph on my wired cycle computer going down the Varaita valley in northern Italy last week.

I'm inclined to believe it, partly because I'd cycled up the valley prior to descending it and partly because my freehub gave up the ghost at some point on the descent. It went from a screeaming wail to screaming silence in a very worrying way and caused me a few moments of distraction whilst I checked the wheel was still rotating – merely a reminder about how badly and how quickly it can all go wrong.

TBH I was more interested in keeping my wheels out of the subsidence cracks in the road than I was about what speed I was going.

Also, I find have difficulty judging what speed I'm going at on a road bike once above 35mph – it's just shades of very fast as far as my brain is concerned.

rkk01
    Free Member

Interesting that people are mentioning gear ratios; I find that top speeds normally occur above the speed that you spin-out, so pedalling is irrelevent.

On my normal routes I have very little road space between spinning out the gears and having to hit the anchors…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I went so fast in three weeks time that I pedalled back in time to come here and tell you.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Weight is like 80%. Getting aero is 15%. Type of bike 5% perhaps.

Weight makes no difference to downhill speed (or a very very small amount of difference). Type of bike makes a big difference just because you can get more aero on a road bike.

Above about 30mph it is all about aerodynamics. Above about 50mph on the road, on a decent descent it starts to become less efficient to pedal than just to tuck and freewheel, as the turbulence created by your moving legs slows you down more than they are putting in (you've typically spun out so you're not putting in much effort).

With the right hill (long, steepish, not too tight corners), 80km/50mph on a road bike is just about hanging on, there's no real skill or fitness to it. One hill we used to ride when I was in New Zealand was pretty crazy though – very very fast and not too tight for the first 2km or so, then suddenly dropping down, adding extra speed, for about 500m, until a sharp bend (signposted as maximum speed 20km/h). Trying to hit high speeds on that was scary as it basically involved braking for the corner as late as possible – the one and only time I've done a skid at 70km/h (thank goodness I stayed on for that one!).

Joe

joemarshall
    Free Member

Sorry to jump this thread with a serious question but shouldn't 29ers have a higher (theoretical) top speed?

No. Why would they? Once you've gone beyond the top pedalling speed, there is no major difference (rolling resistance maybe, but then that is going to be so small compared to aerodynamics).

Joe

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Top speeds’ is closed to new replies.