Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Top Speed competition –
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

Fastest i’ve travelled on a public road was 140mph in a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo heading East-bound on the M62

How about you and what were the circumstances? Proof pics welcome of course and any form of transport counts but must be on land.

Over to you…

cynic-al
    Free Member

48mph in central edinburgh.

On.

A.

Mountainbike.

ads-b
    Free Member

****head

wrightyson
    Free Member

This thread will be met with the usual responses! Me personally, 160 on an old fzr exupp , racing a cossie some 18 ish years ago whilst riding pillion in a ski jacket and plastic helmet, 155 in a prodrive Mazda on a track day and finally 140 in the preza whilst the wife was ten minutes away from giving birth, waters broke walking across the carpark!

br
    Free Member

legally – 175mph zx9r autobahn between Dusseldorf and Cologne
    illegally – 175mph zx9r on an A road…

patriotpro
    Free Member

wrightyson – to think if you had carried the missus across the car-park she would have made it ‘waters in tact’..

shame one you 😀

meehaja
    Free Member

140, M62 Eastbound, Police traffic officer in passenger seat yelling go! go! go!

druidh
    Free Member

Somewhere in excess of 140mph on a Suzuki 1100 Katana. It was early morning (around 3am) and I’d just finished a night shift. One short section of what is now the Edinburgh Bypass had been opened so I thought it would be fun to see just how it would go. Those bridges don’t half fly by at that speed. By the time the headlamp had picked them up, I was under them. That bend over the Water of Leith approaching Baberton/Wester Hailes is actually quite a tight corner at those speeds!!

CaptJon
    Free Member

60mph in a car.

patriotpro
    Free Member

meehaja – if you were chasing me – i never saw you officer I swear 😳

transapp
    Free Member

I’m slow in comparison. 138mph (indicated) in a Boxster S between Bristol and Bath. I drove that car for 45mins and it needed 6 days in the garage!

amsterdan
    Free Member

14118.20mph on my trek remedy today according to map my ride 😯 i win

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m a real jessie with speed on public roads- I’ve only been at about 90 on a motorway when I’d just passed my test. I daren’t do it now as my job depends on driving. I’d love to go to a track day and get some proper beans on.

Hohum
    Free Member

On the M8 coming east just past Harthill in a BMW 530i.

145mph on the speedo and I checked the sat nav after and it said the max was 138mph.

matt_outandabout

Less than you lot.

patriotpro
    Free Member

amsterdan – i trust you were helmeted… 😯

My mate often goes for rides, shares it on FB and burns 11 kcals – he swears his settings were wrong – i say he’s been to the pub and busted.

Northwind

This is all completely reprehensible. 140mph indicated (which wouldn’t be too far off) on the motorbike coming down the M9, absolutely topped out and sounding like the pistons might make a bid for escape. Poor wee thing.

DarrenH

157 mph in my old type r, quoted top speed was 146.
    I miss that car…

porter_jamie

i did about 78mph in a 1981 mini metro on the A1 once, and it was by far the most frightening thing anyone has ever done

catfood
    Free Member

145 on the A5, Kawasaki GPZ900R about 15 years ago. Managed 87 miles in 40 minutes in France on the way back from Le Mans, Adville bypass, ZRX11.

onandon
    Free Member

Not the highest speed, but the highest average.
    Castle Coombe to Oxford road in reading in 27 minutes. 5 track of the cd I was listening that the time.

samuri
    Free Member

Around 130 on an RC30. I cacked myself shortly after and backed right off.
    That bike got to 100 so fast it was incomprehensible.

Russell96

155 in a hybrid

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

157 mph in my old type r, quoted top speed was 146.
    I miss that car…

Knock the 5-10% speedo error off and you probably didn’t reach the top speed.

I’ve done an indicated 140 twice on a Speed Triple but the small screen I had caused do much turbulence it was impossible to hang on any longer even though it was still pulling hard

Current Ducati ST3s has a fairing and should better that in comfort but we mostly ride 2 up with luggage and I don’t hold three figures for long, or that often.

organdonor
    Free Member

Personally, a lot less than you lot. In a mate’s Legacy, 140.

i did about 78mph in a 1981 mini metro on the A1 once, and it was by far the most frightening thing anyone has ever done

Try 90mph in a plastic pig (Reliant Robin) with 4 people in it. I’m genuinely surprised we lived.

radoggair
    Free Member

152 in my first car, an e-plate honda crx
    150 in an old type-r
    140+ in a megane 225 sport
    135 in a lamborghini murcielago
    148 in the new type r

Always like to top my cars out when i first get them ( on an autobahn your honour)

Now, if i go above 75 i’m going too quick 🙁 ( bloody fuel prices)

pingu66
    Free Member

I have calmed down a lot as I have aged but 140 in an Audi A6 on the M58. I also had a great average from Ashford Tunnel Terminal to Liverpool, Walton 298 miles in just under 3 hours. Its really hard averaging a ton for 3 hours.

Been caught speeding twice over a ton, let off both times!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Rc30!! Capable of 100 in 2nd gear if I’m not mistaken and a bike of nearly 15 yrs old! Awesome machine! All of the above why I drive a van daily and ride a bike that’ll go as fast as I pedal it. Born and bred tt bikes etc, Manx/rac rally and I’m not allowed a motorbike! 🙄

wrightyson
    Free Member

And after all that the most stupid thing I ever did in a car was 9 up in a ford galaxy to Bradford airport with luggage for a stag do! “It’ll be a laugh if we all pile in” I was told, never been so scared!!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Have also done 140 in an old Sapphire Cossie my Dad had – loved that car 😀 Basic inside (wind down windows in back) 😯 but hellfire it fealt fast when I was a kid.

The coupe fealt even faster tho’ specially during acceleration – for those that have driven a powerful Front-wheel drive car – the torque-steer can be monumental 😯

wrightyson
    Free Member

I forgot this one! Compare an Astra gte trying to race my uncles rs 500 between (if I remember) Wollaton and Sutton park stages!

sbob
    Free Member

43.5mph on a road bike.
    52.5mph on a MTB.
    180mph indicated in an E39 M5 (the 4.9 V8).

All down hill though, so none of them count.

user-removed
    Free Member

132 in an ancient 3L Cosworth Scorpio on the way to Edinburgh where it was due to have its heart ripped out and transferred to a Capri. But I did it sideways, with the engine periodically cutting out, which gives extra points.

palookah
    Free Member

qwerty
    Free Member

170mph indicated on a slightly tweaked naked bandit 1200 so i guess 150mph for real, 100mph in a VW Beetle GT, 85mph on my 180cc Gilera Runner SP, 127mph on a KTM Duke 2, 80mph on a Vespa GTS 250, 125mph on an RD350YPVS, 35mph on a MTX50, 55ish in a DT50 (ok it had a DT80 engine bored out to 95cc!), 130ish on a KR1, 115ish on a TDR250… i drive a Berlingo now and my licence is clean 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

Mach 1.1 in a very steep dive!

700 knots ground speed coming back across the Atlantic.

155 pillion on a mates bike – never again!!

fizzicist
    Free Member

Got beaten to the aeroplanes! Regularly achieve 500mph going to meetings across Europe!

Fastest I’ve driven is about 140mph – once in an Audi A6, only to see a police car travelling the other direction as I was about to touch the rev limiter in 6th. I can still remember the coppers face!

Also topped out a Vectra V6 Sri thingy (hire car 🙂 ) on the M69. Engine was a bit looser after that.

However, the scariest moment was V-max in an extremely silly Hillman Imp I had. The engine was good for 8500rpm, but getting beyond 6500 in 4th was tricky. Either way that’s a good 105mph. Wound it up as hard as it would go on the A50 one early Sunday morning whilst playing silly buggers with a mate in a Ford Fairlane on the way to Donington.

At 95mph there were two loud ‘clunks’ and it got noisier.

Turns out the aerodynamics are so bad that the doors get sucked off the latches by half an inch. As I was 20 years old I did the mature thing and kept my foot in….

scaredypants

27 minutes. 5 track of the cd I was listening that the time.

Yeh, bloody prog rock
    were you trying to kill yourself ? 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

Glencoe to Lincoln in under 4hrs. Saw something like 7 cars in all that time and they were all absolutely flying.

Onzadog
    Free Member

A1 with a pillion on a blackbird. 180 ish on the clock (wasn’t looking down too much). It was still pulling but I bottled it due to my eye balls rattling so much I couldn’t see the road. There was so much wind force on my head and chest I was struggling to close the throttle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Top Speed competition –’ is closed to new replies.