Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Top headset cup not flush to top of head tube – Cove Handjob
  • muzzle
    Free Member

Hello. Just fitted FSA Orbit headset to brand new Cove Handjob using a proper headset press. The top cup is ever so slightly out ie not perfectly flush to the top of the headtube at one side. I didn’t get the frame reamed first, as I assumed it would have been done in the factory as part of the finish – was that naive of me? Is a very very slight skewing acceptable, or do I need to get my LBS to take it out and ream the frame? Alternatively, does anyone know if Cove frames are reamed already? If they are, is it just a case of knocking the ‘out’ side of the cup in with a block of wood and mallet? Ta.

shortcut

Go to LBS and pay them for a good reaming and facing.
    Sorry.

Olly
    Free Member

the “bore” of the headset will have been reamed. The top wont have been faced (or thats what happened to my giant)

to be honest, apart from it being irritating, all that will happen is you will go through bearings a bit quicker. so you COULD ignore it.

fairly cheap job at an LBS though, might as well get it done.

muzzle
    Free Member

Could I try and tap it in with the mallet/wood combo, or am I opening myself up to a world of bother and a damaged head tube? Anyone had a similar situation and fixed it like this?

muzzle
    Free Member

Anyone? (Sorry for the cheeky bump, but I’m getting slightly fretful about the whole situation).

neilthewheel

Muzzle, for the sake of a few quid, get it properly faced. If you try to knock it in flush you risk flaring the head tube and you would end up with top and bottom cups which are not parallel. The bearings would never run smoothly.

muzzle
    Free Member

D’oh! Stop being the voice of reason Neil! Seriously though, I know you’re right… just wanted to sort it myself but I guess that’s a silly risk to take with a new frame. Thanks.

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Get it faced at your LBS. Not sure how far you’ve got with building up the frame yet, but it might be worth checking the threads for the bottom bracket and rear derailleur are clear of paint too. My missus bought a Cove Handjob frame a couple of years ago. The bottom bracket thread had paint slapped all over it, so took it in to get it reamed out. Got it home only to find that there was paint all in the mech hanger thread aswell! Not sure how Cove paint their frames, but they don’t seem to be too fussy about where it goes!

muzzle
    Free Member

Excellent advice, thanks BD. Not started the build yet, so will get LBS to check mech hanger and BB threads while they’re at it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Top headset cup not flush to top of head tube – Cove Handjob’ is closed to new replies.