Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Top Gear more attention seeking publicity
  • project
    Free Member

After the shock that that last Sundays episode was faked with the caravan and balloon,now theyre not banning gay couples from the show.

BBC insists Top Gear does not ban gay couples
    December 3,2009.

The BBC has denied any discrimination after gay couples expressed outrage claiming Top Gear has "banned" them from studio recordings of the show.

Same sex couples are prevented from joining the TV audience under a bizarre rule that stipulates bookings must be "50 per cent male and 50 per cent female".

However a BBC spokesperson has dismissed the ban: "We do not – absolutely do not – discriminate against same sex couples," she said. "The whole implication that Top Gear is in any way homophobic is completely wrong."

The issue came to light after Simon Reeves and his partner were turned down when they applied for audience tickets. "I couldn't believe it," he told the Daily Mirror.

"Top Gear is the blokiest show on telly, but we weren't allowed unless we took a couple of female friends.

"It sounds like something Jeremy Clarkson came up with to ensure he didn't have to put up with any gays."

Presenter Clarkson was rapped by Ofcom in 2007 for making a homophobic remark on the programme. He described a car as "a bit gay…. very ginger beer".

Ben Summerskill, chief executive of gay rights charity Stonewall, told the Daily Mirror: "It's very odd, but what do you expect from pigs that grunt? Regrettably, with Jeremy Clarkson involved, it's not surprising. The show itself is full of stereotyping of both men and women – but it's funded by gay and lesbian licence fee cash as well as everyone else's."

Conversely the BBC spokesperson said: "The decision to have a balance of men and women in the audience was taken by the BBC back in 2002. Jeremy had nothing to do with it."

How very sad they appear to be going to such extremes just to get extra free publicity,for what was once a good programe.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

That post is so gay….

awh
    Free Member

How about a story on Top Gear making it difficult for single males with no female friends to attend!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Get over it jeez do you lot believe everything thats written in the papers?
    Get whats happening-subliminal advertising for their christmas DVD.

br
    Free Member

So its a bollocks story, as originally when the 'hanger' was set up they didn't want just blokes turning up – so did the 50/50 rule.

And anyway, why would you want gays there – 'cept lesbos, always got time for them!

Drac

Funny I knew nothing of this story until posted on here, you don't work for the BBC do you?

project
    Free Member

On aol.

Do women actually know anything more about cars than cup holders and interior mirrors to apply makeup.

snaps
    Free Member

It has always been 50/50 – in 2006 when I applied for tickets it was the same
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/participate.shtml

zaskar
    Free Member

Who watches that trash anyway?

Drac

Who watches that trash anyway?

Me, I love it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I love it too. It's a welcome antidote to anodyne politically correct television and is all the better for it.

It's discriminating against parties of testosterone fuelled boy racers, the 50/50 rule is meant to keep the knuckle dragging barbarians out of the studio. A gay / lesbian foursome wouldn't be turned away for example.

Don't believe what you read in the papers…

ogwen
    Free Member

A gay / lesbian foursome

snigger 🙂

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Always been the same the 50/50 rule. nothing to do with homophobia- tossers

cullen-bay
    Free Member

ridiculous story, the rule has been there since 2002, why the twatty article now?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

"After the shock that that last Sundays episode was faked with the caravan and balloon"

Do you really think that many of the pranks/races are for real? Its just harmless fun!

Bez

"Presenter Clarkson was rapped by Ofcom in 2007"

I had to read that twice 😐

project
    Free Member

Got a mention on tonights show, with the cast of the Village people as audience members,or was it just a bus trip from Brighton.

Very stereo typical crap as per usual.

flatfish
    Free Member

gods sake, if you don't like it dont bloody watch it. 🙄

PJM1974
    Free Member

Exactly. If you don't like it don't watch it. If you have to b*tch about something on television, go and b*tch about the excessive reality TV content instead.

allthepies
    Free Member

A shocked project yesterday.

project
    Free Member

Reality TV is just that based and is REALITY.

Next,Top Gear will have Julian Clary,Stephen Fry and Grahame Norton on,driving the car round the track,just to balance things out

Strangelove
    Free Member

Just who are you accusing of attention seeking. Top gear or Simon Reeves who went to the press to complain about something that doesnt exist?
    Another non story written by lazy journalists.

flatfish
    Free Member

stephen fry has been on in the last series.

gay shock horror

Andy-W
    Free Member

Are William Woollard and Chris Goffey still on it ?

CountZero

Daily Mirror in serious news story shocker. Written by a trollumnist, to get bits by gullible saddo's like the OP. Jeez, aren't there more important things to get your panties in a knot over?

bassspine
    Free Member

Reality TV is just that based and is REALITY.

WTF is that meant to mean?

project
    Free Member

Reality=real, as in real life.

bassspine
    Free Member

and how does 'reality' TV relate to anything real?

PJM1974
    Free Member

'Cos everybody text votes in real life innit.

project
    Free Member

Its your intepretation of Real Life,and entertainment

bassspine
    Free Member

?

PJM1974
    Free Member

WTF?

project
    Free Member

Reality TV is based on the reality of peoples lives,as it happens,your interpretation of what you see is based on the reality of what happens in your small world.

I also didnt realise that TG was a reality TV show,as opposed to sexist entertainment.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Nope, you've lost me there old chap.

bassspine
    Free Member

nope, still don't understand. 'reality' TV isn't something I watch, how is it real or anything to do with me?

project
    Free Member

You can turn the tv off or watch something else .

porterclough
    Free Member

This thread has become quite surreal now.

Top Gear may be a load of old tosh (quite well done and amusing tosh but tosh none the less), but to think that Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity, Wife Swap etc. are based on "the reality of people's lives" and not deliberately set up by the producers to get what they want, then selectively edited, is just nuts.

bassspine
    Free Member

that's why I don't watch RealityTV. I don't watch much telly, it's usually a waste of electrons 🙂

I do like top gear though. whilst finding clarkson massively annoying, I have read a couple of his books, he's good at being a media whore.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Still lost in the non-sequiturs.

bassspine
    Free Member

to think that Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity, Wife Swap etc. are based on "the reality of people's lives" and not deliberately set up by the producers to get what they want, then selectively edited, is just nuts.

spot on

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear more attention seeking publicity’ is closed to new replies.