Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 238 total)
  • Top Gear Co-presenter named
  • nealglover
    Free Member

ike you objecting to how your tax is spent on things you don’t like …

When do I get the chance to vote for the people who run the BBC ?

Let me know and I’ll get involved.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok why not have an Ex F1 driver on there as a guest, you know every other week or so..

Is Eddie really going to be involved?

I do hope not.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Thought it might have been Suzi Perry

The default answer to ‘BBC’ and ‘engine’ is always Suzi Perry. Let the poor old lady have a rest, not everyone thinks she’s all that.

andyfla
    Free Member

Ok, Top gear was tired, except for the adventures, which were generally superb, so I personally thought it was time for a rejig

I never understand the whole – “I’m out” sentiment – what happens if its excellent and you then can’t watch it as you would sound a dick – “I hear its great, but I decided 6 months before it came out it was going to be crap, so I’m off to do the weeding “

Personally I will give both a try and see what happens – it will prob take a series to settle down anyway

martinhutch

They should’ve held out for Bernie Ecclestone. 🙂

Eddie Jordan? Really?

Obviously it’s a complete reboot, but it’s starting to get confusing now – the host suggests they’re going for light entertainment and spontaneity, the other picks don’t seem to fit in with that at all. And none of it really fits with the leftovers from the TG ‘brand’ – the Stig etc.

It has the flavour of a desperate ‘who’s available?’ list being trawled.

Either way it will be entertaining though, either from being good to watch, or a complete disaster!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I never understand the whole – “I’m out” sentiment – what happens if its excellent

unless, like CFS you find someone, say Eddie Jordan, skin crawlingly toe curlingly aneurism-inducingly unwatchable? On the few occasions I catch F1 the second he appears my screen I have to change the channel. Which isn’t a great basis for committing to watch a new series.

I’ll give it a look. If he’s doing brief slots I’ll flick the channel when he’s on. If he’s a full time co-presenter then unless he’s had a full-blown character re-invention I’m out.

I suspect along with Matt LeBlanc they will cover their options and have several regular well-known contributors – they can always extend the ones that work, and quietly drop those that don’t.

Cougar

I never understand the whole – “I’m out” sentiment – what happens if its excellent

I wonder about the naysayers (who are judging something that’s not even going to be aired for months), what did you expect / hope for?

Sabine Schmitz is going to be awesome, for a start off. She’s the lass who had JC on the Nurbergring in an S-type then told him “I drive a van faster than that” (then did it in a Transit and damn near did). Harris, he’s been banned from reviews by both Ferrari and Lambourghini for being too honest. LeBlanc is a petrolhead, a biker and moreover is a shoe-in for an internationally recognised face so will be massive PR across the pond. Eddie Jordan, well, I expect he knows a little about cars 8) and isn’t likely to be pulling punches. And then we’ve got Gingernuts holding it all together and love him or hate him he’s a very experienced presenter.

legend
    Free Member

I never understand the whole – “I’m out” sentiment

I find Eddie Jordan unwatchable, the only way he figures, and it’s a good thing, is if there’s a feature on wiring his jaw shut.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Eddie Jordan, well, I expect he knows a little about cars

no doubt, but even scrolling past that pic up there with him in his white jeans is enough to bring me out in hives, so I could’t care less for his opinions!

As many have said LeBlanc helps keep interest in TG in the numerous overseas markets that the beeb make a fortune selling it into (so in that respect TG is a good investment for your licence fee).

I’m neither a fanboi nor a hater of Chris Evans, but having read his auto biog he is clearly phenomenally talented at what he does. He made his millions by buying radio stations, making them massively popular, and selling them for an order of magnitude more than he paid for them (and all at an impressively young age). I expect that if he is given some creative free-reign for TG it will be a success. I assume the beeb think and hope so too.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I saw Chris Evan’s willy in the flesh once…not sure why I feel compelled to write that…I’ll leave now…

Cougar

Whose flesh?

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I was in the audience of the TFI episode where the four of them (Evans, Cedric and two others) ended the show by standing on the balcony naked…we were right below them…scarred me for life… 😀

WTF
    Free Member

I saw Chris Evan’s willy in the flesh once

Is that where his sense of humour originates?

As for the Top Gear line up is beginning to resemble entertainers at a kids party.
    Maybe that`s the idea!

zokes
    Free Member

Top Gear makes a stinky stinky huge pile of money for the BBC in foreign sales.

Top Gear made a stinky stinky huge pile of money for the BBC in foreign sales.

Every time they tried it with locals (Aussies in Oz, Yanks in Yank), it flopped miserably.

Love him or loathe him (and his stooges), Clarkson did a pretty amazing job of moving from being a journalist for a local rag in Yerkshire to someone synonymous with cars the world over. In fact, prior to new Top Gear, nobody had the foggiest who Hammond or May were either. It really doesn’t stand to reason that parachuting the already famous (and in the case of those anounced, the already tedious) into the role will achieve any more than a team of home-grown talent who clearly work well together.

I do hope the BBC pull it off, but I suspect that most past viewers will just draw a line under it and move on to other things.

seosamh77
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    it’s BBC and they got my money because I pay my TV license.

rookie mistake! 😆

maxtorque

So the ideal Top Gear presenter needs:

1) To be approachable and friendly
    2) Have a good image to the average man-on-the-street
    3) Be a bit handy behind the wheel
    4) Not take themselves too seriously

So, Ladies and gentlemen, i put forward…

Postman Pat!!

He even comes with a free replacement for TopGear Dog……..

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think I’m particularly unique in that I’d got tired of old TG (though from the viewing figures I’m relatively uncommon in having stopped watching it) and looking forward to the new one – though I wouldn’t be too surprised if it flopped. I do tend to agree with your comments on dropping in established celebs – but then I’m not sure whether they had any other option with such an established major programme, it’s not what it was when Clarkson et al took over (though bear in mind he’d already spent a long time working on TG before he took it over).

chewkw
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

chewkw – Member
    it’s BBC and they got my money because I pay my TV license.

rookie mistake! [/quote]

A bit like saying I pay for tax for free NHS? Ya?

I pay my tax so I have should have a say about how it should be spend like on Trident?

I pay for your salary like those working in the public service?

My tax pay/subsidies your welfare benefits …

My tax pay for/subsidies your University loan, yes not free, which majority will disappear without a trace by not paying back …

So how difference is my complain about the new TG from BBC by comparison?
    Explain? 😯

bearnecessities

Just curious, but do you say “Ya” when speaking?

timbud
    Free Member

Can’t quite understand what all the fuss is about in this thread.

Matt LeBlanc is a massively talented driver, is a massive petrolhead and has a pretty relevant skillset. Whether you though he was good in Joey or not.
    Chris Evans is the only solid element in new TG unfortunately, as he’s bought into it an will milk it to massage his massive ‘fiery’ ego. Even though I don’t like him much, he probably will be fairly good at it.

The rest of the presenters will be there only temporarily (except the Stig I imagine) albeit for a season or two (apparently), so the whole thing could be quite fluid.

Eddie Jordan is only rumoured to be in for presenting on motorsport (which he’s pretty good at)… but this is still not 100% confirmed.

@Chewkw, aren’t there enough politics thread already. PS. Thanks for paying my wage, I’ll be milking it for some time.

chewkw
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    Just curious, but do you say “Ya” when speaking?

Not when speaking because the native (you lot) speak differently. However, when I first arrived yes I used it as I was still learning and I got funny looks and laughs. So I laughed with them … 😛

Bear in mind in other culture/language we use it as an expression and although it has no meaning by it’s own … adding it at the end of a sentence can change it completely from a serious tone to comical one …

You will notice some Kiwis, OZ and S.African started to use them too but not exactly “ya” but some “sound” at the end of each sentence. Listen to them carefully … 😀

So there you go …

timbud – Member

@Chewkw
    , aren’t there enough politics thread already. PS. Thanks for paying my wage, I’ll be milking it for some time.

I am just blending in the BritLand culture … :mrgreen:

As the Aussie would say … whinging pom … so true. 😆

In my office I get whinged all the time from my colleagues … I mean no issues being made to be fuss so I am giving you lot back your whinging habit. 😆

edit: Ok, no more comment from me for TG regarding the presenters …

bearnecessities

Oh, I didn’t realise – hence struggling to imagine a geordie ending a sentence with “Ya”. 🙂

Explains some of your posts too if English isn’t your mother-tongue. What is?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Gibberish 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

His vocabulary is good enough, its clear, he actively chooses to write like that.

chewkw
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    Oh, I didn’t realise – hence struggling to imagine a geordie ending a sentence with “Ya”.

My Geordie mates get a good laugh when I wind them up coz it’s very different from their normal wind up.

Explains some of your posts too if English isn’t not your mother-tongue. What is?

I speak Malay, a bit of Indonesian, Chinese Mandarin and 3 other Chinese dialects in addition to English. Me mate speaks all of them and Tagalog as well. My father could even speak Tamil at one point I kid you not. My communist grandpa was teaching Japanese during the Japanese occupation … at gun point. 😆

At one point I could switch from all these languages at ease without having to think about it yet got all the meaning right.

When hanging out in the far east we could each speak different languages to each other sitting at the same table. Very common really.

Junkyard – lazarus
    His vocabulary is good enough, its clear, he actively chooses to write like that.

Coz ^^^ he is very serious so I need to wind him up a bit … 😆

Chillax mon!
    Chillax! :mrgreen:

timbud
    Free Member

I am just blending in the BritLand culture …

As the Aussie would say … whinging pom … so true.
    Whinging is the most detestable part of modern ‘British’ culture and is never anything to be proud of.

the-muffin-man

Eddie Jordan is confirmed – no, just no! A right mish-mash of presenters.

Quite glad I took up Amazon Prime last Autumn when it was on offer.

titusrider
    Free Member
    sharkbait
    Free Member

Eddie Jordan is confirmed – no, just no!

EJ gets on my tits. Am very disappoint.

nickjb
    Free Member

I presumed the mention of EJ was a joke. One of the few plusses of the beeb losing F1 was getting him off our screens. Still if that’s the price we have to pay to rid ourselves of Hammond I’ll go with it.

Stoner
    Free Member

LOL

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well they’ve got most bases covered except someone who is disabled.

Drac

Well they’ve got most bases covered except someone who is disabled.

Well Chris is Ginger.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@drac racist reported 😉

midlifecrashes

And they are all a bit old looking. Nobody under 35?

allthepies
    Free Member

Ego central.

Drac

Rory Reid isn’t really a randomn member of the public, he’s a motor journalist. 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

Strong on motor journalism – maybe it’ll be more about cars than arsing about.

I would love it if they bring on the Stig for the first time and he simply takes his helmet off and introduces himself. Get rid of an old gimmick.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

midlifecrashes – Member
    And they are all a bit old looking. Nobody under 35?

The irony be strong with this one

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 238 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear Co-presenter named’ is closed to new replies.