Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • top end alloy vs. bottom end carbon (roadie bikes)
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

My roadbike stable currently consists of a 2011 C’dale CAAD8 road bike (9spd Sora) and a Cotic Roadrat commuter in single speed. I am happy with my CAAD8 for the amount and type of road riding I do, but would like to convert my Roadrat into a geared wet weather commuter bike. So was considering buying a Shimano 105 groupeset from Merlin, transfer the Sora stuff from my CAAD8 to my Roadrat and put the 105 onto my CAAD8. This would cost me about £400 in total to do.

However i could take advantage of the bike to work scheme, get a 2013 Cube Agree GTC (10spd Tiagra), sell the CAAD8 to fund the 105 groupset, transfer the 105 to the Cube and the Tiagra to the Roadrat for minimal initial outlay – OK i’d be paying for a new bike on the C2W scheme, but that is not so noticeable.

So hot off the thread from a couple of weeks ago regarding top end Alloy bikes (which the CAAD8 is) vs. bottom spec Carbon, would a Cube Agree GTC be considered an upgrade, step down or side step vs. the CAAD8??

Thanks.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Side step IMO, it would be different but maybe not better, and even maybe worse.

The CAAD models are very good and more than a match for lower to middle carbon frames.

New wheels, the answer is nearly always new wheels. Although how you get those on C2W I don’t know.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The CAAD 8 is hardly a top end alloy bike is it!

If it is, what’s the CAAD 10? God like?

The CAAD 8 is just a sit up and beg sportive frame isnt it? Years ago, the CAAD 8’s were the top of the line made in the states Cannodnale race frames, but they’re not anymore.

But anyway, dont think about it so much, if it works out well in terms of money and the new bike fits then go for it

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The CAAD bikes are race bikes and the Synapse is the sit up and beg sportive frame. The CAAD10 is a stiffer version of the CAAD8, so straight seat stays instead of hour glass shaped, and a stiffer frame overall, though the CAAD8 is still considered amongst the best alloy framed you can get. But then the Cube GTC frame is rock bottom in the cube carbon range. The reality is I probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference, so maybe you’re right for the sake of convenience. Was just trying to establish if they are sort of on par with each other or of any would be considered better. I’m taking it for a test ride anyway so I’ll see if I can tell a difference.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member

The CAAD bikes are race bikes and the Synapse is the sit up and beg sportive frame. The CAAD10 is a stiffer version of the CAAD8, so straight seat stays instead of hour glass shaped, and a stiffer frame overall, though the CAAD8 is still considered amongst the best alloy framed you can get

Yeh, you’re right, I thought the CAAD 8 had the Synapse geometry, but I think it’s the same as the 10 apart from the longer head tube.

But who decides that these frames are the “best alloy frames available”? I’ve seen it repeated on here many times, I just thought they hada good rep cos they were stiff and cheap so were popular for crit races.

It seems most of the big manufacturers have a top end alloy frame in their lines now – specialized/giant/canyon/trek etc.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

But who decides

Tour magazine from Germany do, as soon as people accept this then we’ll have a lot less threads on here. 😀

We just need them to decide which tyres/wheel size are best then we’re done.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘top end alloy vs. bottom end carbon (roadie bikes)’ is closed to new replies.