Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Top cap Garmin mounts
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Been looking at top cap Garmin mounts, like the K Edge, and wondering if anyone’s had long term experience of these and what they think. Like them, hate them, any drawbacks?

Specifically interested in the type where it’s the top cap that’s the mount, rather than a fly out from the top cap. Though might consider the top cap with fly out type.

I’ve currently got the Garmin fly out which is too far out front and the rubber band mount which slides around and vibrates. A fly back may have issues with fit with a short stem and depending on stack height. Plus I have other things on the bar already for lights/battery. Simple clip into top cap seems simple and neat to me.

MSP

I have been running one for a couple of months, I like it a neat solution IMO.

The only downside is that you have to remove the insert (2 small alan bolts) to remove the cap. As I put it on a new bike and have been doing some experimenting with spacers it was a bit of an annoyance, but now I have it dialled in I don’t see it being an ongoing problem.

singlespeedstu

I’m using a Barfly which mounts on the bars but puts the Garmin over the top of the stem and back from the bars a little.
    I did look at topcap mounts but they seem to position the unit too far back.

Superficial
    Free Member

I broke the back of my Garmin by kneeing it. This was with a backwards-facing SRAM mount over the stem, I can only imagine it’s worse if it’s fixed to the back of the stem (I.e. closer to knees). On the MTB, I struggle to look past the rubber band bar mounts. They work well and will stretch/snap in an accident.

thabo
    Free Member

K edge topcap. I have had it for about a year and very happy with it. I did crash into a tree a few months ago and broke the plastic insert. Better that and not my Garmin that broke. K edge in the US were great and sent me the spare insert for a few quid.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Have been useing kedge ones for a few years. Mine are the one that fit under the top cap and put the Garmin a little further forward. When I crashed at bpw the little plastic part of the mount broke off as its Ment to and the garmin was untouched , £1.99 or there abouts for a new plastic bit

atlaz
    Free Member

Deadkenny – get a barfly. it’s the one I had in the alps last year. Basically like a back-to-front out-front style one. The advantage (for me) is that it doesn’t seem as exposed as the stem mounted one.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The only concern with the barfly is the short stem and stack height. Not sure if it might clash. One bike is maybe okay with near zero stack, but the other is higher. Though I could cut the tube down, but didn’t want to cut the fork too far with thoughts of resale or reuse.

Bar mounts do have the attraction of being able to mount on any bike.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

another

you’ll smack it with your knees

I’ve got a raceware stem cap, its long enough so the 800/810 doesn’t overlap the steerer

if it won’t fit over your stem, you have a gay positive rise stem, and need to MTFU and get a negative and get it slammed

atlaz
    Free Member

Though I could cut the tube down, but didn’t want to cut the fork too far with thoughts of resale or reuse.

Hah. My money is on you riding them until they’re as close to end of useful life as makes them worthless (as I would). It;s the same reason the steerer on my HT is too long despite the forks being 7 years old 🙂

In any case, if the steerer is long and above the stem and the garmin is on top, imagine the fun when you (inevitably) OTB and disembowel yourself or the garmin (or both)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My top cap is a chain tool, so I’m not keen. 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

TBH, if you see the raceware stem cap you’d not be keen either if you had any interest in aesthetics.

As an aside CFH, do keep an eye out for the Mikkeller beers they’re doing with Duvel in Belgium. They’re in the supermarkets here, the milk stout is so-so but the rest are pretty great for under 2e a bottle.

deadkenny
    Free Member

atlaz – Member
    Hah. My money is on you riding them until they’re as close to end of useful life as makes them worthless (as I would). It;s the same reason the steerer on my HT is too long despite the forks being 7 years old

You know me too well 😀

Even stuff I do finally take off I never bother to sell anyway.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

TBH, if you see the raceware stem cap you’d not be keen either if you had any interest in aesthetics.

yer what a horror that is 🙄

not everything has to be cnc machined and anodised within an inch of its life

pdw
    Free Member

the rubber band mount which slides around and vibrates

Really? Have you got the bit rubber that goes behind the plastic in place? Have you tried smaller bands?

Surprised, as mine’s always been rock solid.

atlaz
    Free Member

not everything has to be cnc machined and anodised within an inch of its life

Barfly = plastic
    SRAM mount = plastic

Aesthetically, on the bike, I think they look better but obviously YMMV

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have managed to break a Raceware one, and have a PROMOUNTbillet Enduro on the way.

My rubber bands keep the thing physically fixed to the bars, but don’t stop it spinning round them, hence the change.

🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

pdw – Member
    Really? Have you got the bit rubber that goes behind the plastic in place? Have you tried smaller bands?

It’s on there really tight, but when riding fast over roots and little drops it still jumps about. Doesn’t come off, just doesn’t stay in place. Could be because it’s on a shiny surface carbon bar, and the band may have gotten slack over time, though it still seems secure when not moving.

To be honest I have the same problem with my light battery. Lovely quick release mount from Four4th, but it’s rubber band fixed, and clunks about on rough stuff (noting this is hard tail I mainly use it on). Del @ Four4th has been looking into some nice fixed mounts off the bars. I must check them out.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

To anyone whining about aesthetics on a bike, just take a look at yourself in the mirror before your next ride.

Not very aesthetic, is it?

pdw
    Free Member

Is it on the bars rather than the stem? I can see that being a bit less secure.

Daffy

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    To anyone whining about aesthetics on a bike, just take a look at yourself in the mirror before your next ride.

Not very aesthetic, is it?

Speak for yourself! Reflection perfection here.

allan23
    Free Member

I use the SRAM mount but have mounted it so it’s to the side of the top cap\stem.

Didn’t like the screen angle when it was over.

Seems alright so far, lasting well and I’ve not died yet.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I broke the back of my Garmin by kneeing it. This was with a backwards-facing SRAM mount over the stem, I can only imagine it’s worse if it’s fixed to the back of the stem (I.e. closer to knees)..

Me to.

ratherbeintobago

Mine was fine when I had it on the stem on the old bike; new bike has a 60mm stem which is too short for this, so had to mount on bars. End result: Garmin hanging upside down by the bottom of any prolonged stretch of cobbles.

Have gone with the K-Edge top cap mount.

deadkenny
    Free Member

pdw – Member
    Is it on the bars rather than the stem? I can see that being a bit less secure.

On the bars. It’s a chunky and short stem and not sure it will fit, but to be honest I haven’t tried.

End result: Garmin hanging upside down by the bottom of any prolonged stretch of cobbles.

Yeah, that’s what I find. More so with prolonged stretches of roots and rocks, hammering down at speed.

Though to be fair do I really need the thing mounted at all for such riding? 😀

I use it mainly on the bike for the xc-ish rides, and night rides (though when dark it’s not a great deal of use. Helmet light is a bit bright and reflects off the thing).

Though with the upcoming Strava segment support for Garmin when they update the 510 firmware for it… 😉

Other reason to mount it on the bike is I try to take my compact backpack to carry as little as possible and there’s limited space for a Garmin with tools, keys, wallet & medical kit in there. It does also throw the temperature tracking way off when in a bag or pocket (do I care about what temperature it was during the ride though? 😀 ), and maybe affects the GPS lock a little.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Top cap Garmin mounts’ is closed to new replies.