Top 5 …

Home Forum Bike Forum Top 5 …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Top 5 …
  • pyemaster

Singletrack/xc/woodland trails routes around south Oxfordshire/Newbury/Goring/south Chilterns/Reading area?

Give me some inspiration!

Owen

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

maybe top 3 would have been more realistic 😉

I live in Newbury and really struggle to find anything more than a few very short XC trails, like the ones at Greenham Common so I’d struggle to find 3 let alone a top 3!! I think the chilterns have a lot more to offer.

I’ve been spoiled when it come to forest trails as I use to live in Fleet with Minley on my door step and the Look Out just a short ride away!! Riding from Newbury seems to be much more about a CX bike on bridle ways…

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Owen, i can’t really ‘tell’ you the routes, because they’re all just interconnected small trails that make up an overall trail/route.

I am planning on riding both tomorrow and Friday on them though, North of Newbury, South of Didcot, in and around Ashampstead, Aldworth, East Ilsley etc etc.

If you want to come ride, drop me a mail. Will be a 90min XC (with fun bits) ride.

pyemaster

Cheers Weeksy, bike is currently in bits awaiting a winter revamp but perhaps in the new year that would be brilliant. I’ve heard Stoke Row has some good woodland singletrack, anyone ridden around that area?

Owen

motivforz

I’m in Didcot and would appreciate being shown any areas around here at some point. All I’ve managed to explore so far is the ridgeway between didcot and wantage, and it’s not been great… Big claggy clag-fests is all I’ve found.

neiloxford

I can recommend this book…a fair amount of local rides 🙂

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/370711210247?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

You can get a preview of the book, with place names etc at Amazon so can see if the places are local for you 🙂

http://www.amazon.co.uk/South-East-Mountain-Biking-Chilterns/dp/1906148058/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356010521&sr=1-1-fkmr2#reader_1906148058

I have loaded a picture of the index of places names here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41268782@N00/8290277815/in/photostream

peath

I’m stuck in between Newbury and Reading. There are trails to be had up on Bucklebury Common, but unfortunately it’s difficult to describe how to find them. Head up there and follow the obscure singletrack and avoid the muddy bridleways and you should find something… it’s taken a few years though (but I’m still finding stuff…)

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

That is an area of outstanding road biking though.

pyemaster

Great links neiloxford, cheers for that, I’ll look to buy the book.

Has to be a FEW decent trails around that broad area surely! Noone done the Stoke Row area then?

Owen

pete68

My local area too. As peath said the best trails are in the bucklebury common area. Theres loads up there which isnt on a map. Unfortunately the majority of the area, especially towards the ridgeway are really grim and gloopy at the mo. Worst conditions in my 20 years of riding here. Seeing as theres a few locals on here would anyone be intrested in a ride in the new year maybe?

pyemaster

Yeah I’d definitely be up for that once I’ve got the bike sorted … Anyone fancy Swinley Forest or some woodland singletrack in the Chilterns? Or, dare I mention it again, Stoke Row? 😆

Owen

pete68

Try to sort a Stoke row ride in the new year then. Haven’t been up there in a while.

maxtorque

There’s a few nice gnarrly and a few nice flowy/fast decents off the ridgeway above the Lockinge Brook/Ardington, and a few (some slightly cheeky) techy singletracks off Old Street running south from the same area! Can be F’ing claggy though !

For a good days non-too-techy but good fun riding do this next year:

http://www.uptonogood.org.uk/

😉

pyemaster

Anyone up for a Stoke Row day soon then? Got the bike virtually finished now. 🙂

Owen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Top 5 …’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top