Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Top 3 Au Naturale downhills
  • shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

daveatextremistsdotcouk – Capel Mounth is narrowish, mainly smooth singletrack in comparison to the boulder fest, multiple line choice hooliganism of Carn Ban Mor.

Both piss all over Walna Scar to be honest – I'm a bit surprised at all the love for it on this thread, given it's a just a roughish fireroad 🙂 I've done plenty better descents in the Lakes – Nan Bield, Sprinkling Tarn and Styhead Tarn down to Seathwaite/Borrowdale, Garburn to Kentmere, Secret Singletrack down to Buttermere….all better. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Garburn to Kentmere

I personally think this is overrated – it's good but it's not that special. Possibly find the other side more fun. Definitely prefer Walna Scar Road.

I actually forgot – Parkamoor-Satterthwaite is one of my favourites too.

All these Scottish ones are all well and good if you're happy to convince yourself it's worth traipsing through a bog for several hours carrying your bike to get there. 😛

druidh
    Free Member

grum – Member

All these Scottish ones are all well and good if you're happy to convince yourself it's worth traipsing through a bog for several hours carrying your bike to get there.

You don't have to go via Glasgow

trail_rat
    Free Member

capelmounth is over rated

how ever the walkers path down from lochnagar to lock muick pictured above is sublime as is the singletrack anti clockwise round the loch

el_boufador

What about Watendlath – Rosthwaite?

mrh86

shortbread_fanylion: Dont know if Walna Scar has changed much recently, but i did it 2 weeks ago now for the first time, and I would say that in parts it was definitley more than a "rough fireroad" 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Carn ban mor does not require hiking thru a bog – just a mindnumbing soul destroying climb. Not great value for money – I think it took us well over 2 hrs to do the climb and about 40 mins to do the descent

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Carn ban mor does not require hiking thru a bog – just a mindnumbing soul destroying climb. Not great value for money – I think it took us well over 2 hrs to do the climb and about 40 mins to do the descent

To be fair, the descent would have taken half the time if Juan hadn't elected to have 3 punctures.

freeridenick
    Free Member

shortbread_fanylion

didnt you post some pics of the buttermere singletrack a while back, can't seem to find the thread though?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh – he wasn't the only one to keep on pinch flatting – although I didn't – did you? Slow and steady wins again 🙂

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Not the "best" descent in the lakes but I've been riding the Longsleddale-Kentmere route quite a bit lately and that's mint. Fast and twisty with a seasoning of rocks followed by a fast grass run-in to a very rocky, steepish finish…

Ambrose

Descending from The Black Mountain to Dan yr Ogof always makes me smile like a big grinning idiot.

trail_rat
    Free Member

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/502126866_62aeb6eb3e.jpg[/img]

more photoskis – mt keen north side

martinxyz
    Free Member

The top track of Glen Einich descending towards rothiemurchus with a heavy tail wind on a warm summers eve with the sun out.it might not be technical but it sticks in my mind because of the wild wind.without it i wouldnt mention it,but its worth going up if you can judge the wind right.does this sound chit?! its just the scenery etc that alll went with it, you had to be there! big ring and the 11t and hardly having to pedal and also doing the ghru singletrack to picadilly to finish off. http://martin-james.fotopic.net/p7420057.html

Coulags,over the hill,then back round into the valley towards achnashellach. http://martin-james.fotopic.net/p16053749.html

sunrise descent from black cuillin towards sligichan. http://martin-james.fotopic.net/p14273481.html

martinxyz
    Free Member

This is the cuillin sunrise pic http://martin-james.fotopic.net/p34084871.html

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

freeridenick, this one:

lowey

although the one into the visitor centre in Grizedale is a cracker, we call it the riverbed, but i'm not sure what it's actual name is.

Silurian Way I think, if its the one down from the Fox.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

shortbread_fanylion – Member

freeridenick, this one:

Shortbread – that's Rigg Beck down to Buttermere. Next time you're nearby, try coming off the back of Causey Pike then descending the other side, so you're heading away from Buttermere….so much more fun 🙂

From the point of view in your first pic, there are also great descents off Ard Crags (to your left) and Crag Hill or Whiteless Pike (both above on your right).

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Grisedale Pike off Hobcarton End is fantastic, especially as since thy put the trail centre into Whinlatter Forest you can pedal a bit higher and avoid the near vertical slog onto the Grisedale Ridge that I ahd to contend with as a kid. From the top of the South Loop, yes you are going up there (!) but it really isn't that bad! Total ride of 60-90 mins. Not sure if it's the 'best' descent, but I challenge you to find better value from such a short ride?

Only got an hour? Barrow Summit, down the ridge towards Braithwaite – Fast grass, steep, grin.

Hardest descent I've done – Causey Pike summit (well actually, lower yourself down the cliff before you get on the bike is probably wise) East towards Newlands. All the others I can ride on a bad day, Causey I'll if I'm not riding well I can't even get on the bike to get started!

Helvellyn? North off the Summit onto Raise, then hang a left on at Sticks Pass. This is epic! First time I did this I was parked at the bottom before we set off and we couldn't reconcile the map with the terrain; "We can't be riding down THAT??" We were.

Coledale Hause into Coledale is pretty good, especially now that there is an actual path with switch backs and everything where there was once just foot-long grass. Don't try it the other way, a world of pain awaits and it's a time-consuming affair. Lesson learned.

Skiddaw – The lost descent, still gutted they put that motorway up there a decade ago. Going to do the Ullock Pike descent soon, and there *looks* like there's a good descent off Carl Side in the Keswick direction too that is on the list.

Scarth Gap – Nuts at the top, but gets tamer as you get down and full of walkers, so not sure it's great value for money. Haystacks into Scarth Gap is a death-trap, ask my mate about the scars….. I've always fancied the run off High Cragg down Gamlin End, very steep, very loose, almost certain death. (ANYONE DONE THIS?)

Wandope onto Whiteless Pike and down to Buttermere – very technical in places, Wandope is probably the best bit, but if it's windy you *will* get blown off your bike and it will hurt. A lot.

Hindscarth down Scope End I remember being good in places, but a little underwhelming, but that was a long time ago and it might be a load better now I'm a better rider with a more capable bike.

Watendlath into Borrowdale – Very good, a little short, but good value for money.

Honister into Grange – Very very good, shame you have to pedal up Honister Pass first though!

Blencathra – Ge to the top and you can't go too far wrong, so long as you avoid Halls Fell Ridge

Garburn Pass – Good, but not on the same level as some of those listed above. I suppose it has the benefit of being a bridleway, if you're into that kind of thing.

Looking to broaden my horizons a bit this year in terms of the Lakes, so if anyone has any suggestions along the lines above, add them below:

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Parkedtiger, you seem to be on the same wavelength as me. I'm riding in the Lakes Easter Sunday and possibly Monday, weather dependent obviously, no one to ride with at the moment, if you fancy something long and extreme and starting at early o'clock and lasting until the last summit has been conquered and some, let me know?

lowey

Paul, an ocean of cheek!!

I like it.

Doing a few of them myself this year.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Cheers paulrockliffe – would love to. However, at the moment I'm heading south for a family Easter weekend in Manc. If it falls through, I'll give you a shout 🙂

Carl Side descent is a good one by the way – doesn't last as long as Ullock unfortunatley. Begins with a long path with some nasty slate sided drainage gulleys, then you arrive at Whitestones…some mad technical bits, then a steep grassy final descent with some big bomb holes to tip you over the bars. It's a bit slippy in the wet too – last time I came down there, Stoney (off-of the forum here) overtook me and he was descending on his arse 😯

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Golf links, Rhayader.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I suppose it has the benefit of being a bridleway, if you're into that kind of thing.

🙄

Sanny
    Free Member

Shortbread

That's also an ace climb which you can combine in a big loop for a peach of a descent from the high tops to the west of the valley. Whiteless Pike is the name if memeory serves! Rode it for the first time in December.

In the UK, Ullock Pike from Skiddaw is definitely up there. Always enjoy Carn Ban Mhor but reckon Braeriach down onto the Lairig Ghru has epic written all over it.

Abroad, Emmerson Dam down to Martigny or the descent from Piere Avoir through the open meadows into the fun that is Jackass in Verbier. Marvellous!

Glad to see Ullock Pike and the Lakes in general get the nod for best descents.

Cheers

Sanny

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Paul – one other possible suggestion to add to your list – Dale Head down to the tarn, Rigghead quarry, Castle Crag down to Grange:

The best way onto Dale head is the question – Newlands / Robinson, or via Honister perhaps – Little Town and up the valley maybe.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Nice one, I ran down there in a barely conscious state once and forgot to make my usual MTB notes. Yes, that would work.

I'm not sure 'best' is a sufficiently negative work, but the 'least pain' option must be the road up to Honister than the push up Dalehead; gets the hard bit out of the way quickest I think.

soulrider
    Free Member

Climb out from Loch Muick, and drop into Glen Clova…. I dont know what its called but its one hell of a trail

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I think it took us well over 2 hrs to do the climb and about 40 mins to do the descent

Funnily enough I find that the descents often take less time than the climbs.

Carn Ban Mor is great, but not as good as either the descent to Achnashellach or the descent to Annat on the Torridon loop. Also better than Carn Ban Mor (but not as long) is the descent from Lochnagar down the Glas Alt as far as the bridge

diplomatt
    Free Member

Paul – some interesting cheeky routes there. I think I've asked you and parkedtiger about the BWs from Wastwater over to Ennerdale before. I could well be in Carlisle at the in-law's over the Easter weekend and keen to get out. I've generally stuck to the BW routes in the past – 4 Passes, Red Pike-Buttermere, Nan Bield, Helvellyn-Sticks Pass, that kind of thing. Quite fancy trying some different stuff and that means cheeky. More than happy to hike-a-bike if the descent is worth it. I'll PM you next week once I know what's happening.

Matt

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Hello diplomatt, yes that rings a bell, I probably told you that I've only done Ennerdale to Wastwater and that I didn't think it was that good, but it was a long time agao and rider + bike are very different now, so might be ok.

Yeah, PM me when you know what you're doing.

Cheers

RHSno2
    Free Member

Sanny. The Emmosson Dam is indeed awesome BUT the Chandolin one tops that I reckon.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 with the Captain. Torridon

freeridenick
    Free Member

shortbread_fanylion, thats the one thanks 8)

Jackass in Verbier is indeed very good! so is the Holy Trail in Chamonix.

Horse
    Free Member

There's some cracking stuff in this thread, +2 for Torridon, some of the best riding I've done in the UK.
    Might have to mark up a map with some of these Lakes cheeky ones.
    Did Dollywagon in the wet last year, the steps at the top are pretty sketchy, walked a couple of sections but the natural stuff below the tarn towards Patterdale was glorious.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I haven't done Dollywagon myself, but it seems to get mixed reviews since it was slabbed over. I can't help thinking that if you're going to all the trouble of getting to the top of Helvellyn you'd want to head North from the summit rather than South and fill your boots with Sticks Pass. Those runs into Patterdale from Grisedale Tarn, Fairfield and Hart Crag etc are on my list of things to do though.

lowey

Dollywagon Defeated me to be honest, but I was on my own.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

If you're marking up the map, mark the descents then see how you can loop them together into rides, but I'd recommend checking with STW before embarking on a blind adventure; it's very easy to spend a lot of time between descents if you underestimate some of the climbs.

Eg; heading up from Newlands between Barrow and Causey Pike is NOT the best way of getting to ride Wandope and Whiteless Pike and Gasgale Gill is NOT a great climb to get back again. There isn't any alternatives, but while this looks like a good ride on the map, it's rubbish value for money when you try it!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Stonycove Pike down Raven Edge to Kirkstone Pass? Anyone tried that?

grumm
    Free Member

I haven't done Dollywagon myself, but it seems to get mixed reviews since it was slabbed over.

It's only the top part that's been slabbed over (unless more has been done since I did it). The slabbed bit isn't great but the whole section from the tarn onwards is superb.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Top 3 Au Naturale downhills’ is closed to new replies.