Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 173 total)
  • top 10 uk dumps…
  • coconut
    Free Member

Time to compile a top 10 of uk dumps..to celebrate brexit. Were after track suits, bad teeth, beer bellies etc..

After my rail replacement bus tour of Rhyl yesterday I think we have number 1, narrowly beating motherwell in number 2.

1. Rhyl
    2. Motherwell
    3….

gobuchul
    Free Member

Wishaw
    Glenrothes
    Blyth
    The majority of London

Beagleboy

Cumbernauld, wins every time.

binners

Aaaaah… Rhyl… Toxteth-on-Sea.

Anywhere in East Manchester… but Gorton in particular. They filmed Shameless there. They managed to make it look a lot nicer than it actually is

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Most of the ‘dumps’ I know near to me are in lovely countryside, but have fallen into a downward spiral of epic proportions due to the loss of industry, mainly mining. But at least they still have the countryside around them.

Some of the inner city places though, I’m thinking Springburn, possil park, lambhill, ruchill etc in Glasgow, god it must be horrific to be growing up there.

I’m sure all major cities have areas that are equally as bad.

coconut
    Free Member

Once we complete the list we can sell it on to Kim Jong Un for target practice.

funkmasterp

Second for Gorten
    Mixenden in Halifax
    Walpole in Huddersfield

How I miss living in West Yorkshire.

Rockape63
    Free Member

The majority of London

That’s pretty unfair….the majority of London is alright, if you like that sort of thing! Fortunately for me, I live in Surrey and very rarely venture anywhere remotely chavtastic, so my contribution to this thread is at an end! 🙂

mikey3
    Free Member

Do you feel better?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Dumps? 🙄 aren’t you a class act

martinhutch

Blackpool
    Keighley
    Bishop Auckland
    Basildon/Pitsea
    Clacton

Personal prejudice FTW…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bristol
    Malvern
    Manchester
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow

matt_outandabout

Cumbernauld, wins every time.

Plus:
    Ardrossan
    Rotherham
    Half of Glasgow

IHN

… but Gorton in particular.

My dad’s from Gorton. My mum and dad decided that they wanted to be together forever whilst walking down Hyde Road, and they’ve been married, happily, for 52 years.

So, whilst some places are indeed aesthetically challenged, let’s not forget that people live there and personal histories are made there.

My mum and dad moved out of Gorton as soon as they could though, cos it’s a dump.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

No mention of Slough yet.

Northwind

Fort William. Everyone responsible for that waterfront should be buried at a crossroads so their soul wanders the earth lost, forever. “Oh you want to look at the beatiful sea view? NO! CAR PARKS! BYPASS! CONCRETE SHOPS!”

gobuchul
    Free Member

There is an “offical” list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crap_Towns

Rank 2003 2004 2013
    1 Hull Luton London
    2 Cumbernauld Windsor Bradford
    3 Morecambe Sunderland Chipping Norton
    4 Hythe Edinburgh and Glasgow (tied) Southampton
    5 Winchester N/A York
    6 Liverpool Clapham Gibraltar
    7 St Andrews Bath Coventry
    8 Bexhill-on-Sea Nottingham Nuneaton
    9 Basingstoke Corby High Wycombe
    10 Hackney Middlesbrough Stoke-on-Trent

munrobiker
    Free Member

Keighley
    Pretty much any of the old mining towns in Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire (I work in Eastwood. Good lord.)
    London
    Swindon
    I used to work in Kirkcaldy. That was quite something.
    Bridlington
    Bradford
    Rotherham
    Scunthorpe
    Redcar

perchypanther
    Free Member

Wishaw

I live here. Just like anywhere, there are bits of it which aren’t very nice. THere are bits of it which are really rather lovely.

I have also worked in the Social Housing sector for the last 20 odd years….. I have visited and worked in some grim shitholes which you wouldn’t believe still exist in a modern first world country.

The list of places which are indescribably worse than Wishaw is long indeed.

I’m glad I live where I do.

dissonance

Clacton

I assume you are including Jaywick under that? However much even Clactonites try and claim it is a different town.

Luton.
    Much of Hemel Hempstead.
    Hatfield.

oldnpastit

It must be pretty hard living in some of the south Wales former mining towns. Dump is not a nice word though.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I take it no contributors to the thread thus far have ever visited Millom

matt_outandabout

I take it no contributors to the thread thus far have ever visited Millom

Fair point, well made. However Barrow sneaks in lower down the rankings.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

funkmasterp – Member

Walpole in Huddersfield

How I miss living in West Yorkshire.

I’m fairly new to WYork, you mean Walpole Rd area in Hudds?

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have also worked in the Social Housing sector for the last 20 odd years.

Perchy – If you work in social housing in and around Lanarkshire I guess you know more about this subject than anyone else on here. I can only imagine the things you have seen and dealt with.

The sad thing is that it seems to be a spiral, put people in ugly, grim, shitholes and they tend to act in according to their surroundings.

coconut
    Free Member

To be fair if you stick fridges and old sofas in your garden it is kind of a dump.

jekkyl

Barrow in furness would be at the top of my list. Would be nice if the furness penisula ended at Dalton and Barrow and Walney were done away with.

Daffy

jekkyl – Member
    Barrow in furness would be at the top of my list. Would be nice if the furness penisula ended at Dalton and Barrow and Walney were done away with.

Seconded.

No need to nuke it from orbit, though. Given the quality of workmanship i witnessed at times, they’ll do it themselves before too long.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Shoreham.

Merthyr Tydfil.

Glenrothes.

convert

Fort William. Everyone responsible for that waterfront should be buried at a crossroads so their soul wanders the earth lost, forever. “Oh you want to look at the beatiful sea view? NO! CAR PARKS! BYPASS! CONCRETE SHOPS!”

Good call. Whilst there are many many more horrible places, Fort Bill deserves special mention for managing to get it so wrong when nature made it an almost impossible task to nause up.

whitestone
    Free Member

Having grown up in the South Lakes, Barrow was usually known as the “ar**hole of the universe” and Millom as the boil up the …

These days I don’t think Barrow is too bad but it’s still not a place I’d like to live.

Sadly I think there’s a lot of places that once had significant industry of some sort that have “gone to seed” as it were when things moved on/the industry closed down. It can’t be easy when there’s little prospect of improving your general environment.

Edit: as for messing things up – Caernarfon quite spectacularly managed this by removing many of the quality buildings just out from the centre of town and replacing them with a flyover/bypass.

jekkyl

@whitestone. you could move away from Barrow (as I did) which would considerably improve your general environment. 😀
    I do miss the sea though, I liked living by the coast.

I also nominate Morecambe.
    What’s wrong with Glenrothes?
    Markinch!

shermer75
    Free Member

The place where I have seen the most amount of aggro in the shortest amount of time is Southend-on-Sea, by quite a hefty margin.

convert

On the back of this thread I googled ‘The Sun Centre’ in Rhyl. Memories of my childhood living in Denbigh and a ‘special treat’ in the holidays to go there when it opened in 1980. Sadly now shut.

whitestone
    Free Member

@jekkyl – I never lived there, grew up near Grange-over-Sands (very genteel), spent nine years living near Caernarfon, now live near Skipton so know all about Keighley 😥

perchypanther
    Free Member

To be fair if you stick fridges and old sofas in your garden it is kind of a dump.

No…..dodging dirty needles, used condoms and human excrement, only to be confronted by a bloke with more feet than teeth who offers you a “go on the wife for a tenner” as a distraction so that his mate can whack you on the back of the head and steal your Stihl saw* , that’s a bit of a dump.

*this actually happened to a guy on one of my jobs.

Cougar

High Wycombe

Seriously?

Last time I was down there I was teasing my colleagues about how posh it was, they were denying it. On the drive out again, I passed a pet shop which had a sign in the window promoting a special offer on swan food.

Cougar

Wait… he agreed to the offer?!

gobuchul
    Free Member

So he paid the £10 and lost his Stihl saw??????

Or was the bargain offer false and that was the distraction?

We need clarity here!

funkmasterp

I’m fairly new to WYork, you mean Walpole Rd area in Hudds?

It was an estate in Huddersfield, not sure of the street names as it was 15 years ago. I used to work for the council and there was a lot of trouble at the time in the area. It was always sad to see the odd house with a well tended garden in the middle of a sea of wrecked houses. Nine times out of ten it would be an old couple who’d seen the area slowly deteriorate around them.

Edit – quick Google and yep Walpole road is part of the estate. Google result was also an Examiner article about arrests by armed police

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘top 10 uk dumps…’ is closed to new replies.