Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Toothache…and no painkillers….
  • somafunk

Toothache…and no painkillers….well apart from Tramadol that is but for some reason the Tramadol ain’t having much of an effect with the throbbing pain from my jaw. I am currently undergoing a back lower molar crown fitment and have a temporary molar crown in place after getting a rear molar ground down last friday (all my molars are cracked 😥 ).
    Throb…pulse…throb….pulse…..throb….pulse …….Arghhhh……….. 😥 , 4 large malt whisky’s and 150mg of Tramadol later and i can still feel it like a deep ache in my lower jawbone that is currently working up past my ear….gonna have to head back to the dentist t’morn and get an injection as this takes the piss, i’m tempted to neck the pethidine in the cabinet so i can sleep but that’s for emergencies (spinal), if i’m still awake in at 3am i may just gub it down and sod the drug induced hangover t’morn.

Bangs head off desk to get relief………..

chewkw
    Free Member

I experienced the most painful toothache 3 years ago without pain killer for nearly a week. Have to say that pain killer was helpful but only for few hours …

At the moment I have seven stitches on my lower gum due to top molar biting on it. My doctor thought it was good idea to check that nothing grown there so sent me to the hospital for biopsy. Went on Saturday and ended up with a chunk of my gum gone … now I can hardly bite without the top molar biting onto the stitches … damn. Yes, it’s very sore …

andyl
    Free Member

if you are still awake you could try cloves

somafunk

I’m usually perfectly ok wi normal pain in everyday life as it’s always been there in one form or another, i’ve broke my spine twice (once really bad wi lower paralysis and 6mths in the spinal unit, once not so bad and only 2mths in the unit) and have T6 & T9 removed along with enough Ti scaffolding supporting my spine to reinforce the fourth road bridge but when it comes to the particular type of pain that is toothache and the associated head throb…throb…throb i’m not above admitting i’m a total wuss who’s likely to curl up in the corner wi the duvet over my head…..it’s only 2am…… 😥 , another large Auchentoshan may help knock me out, due to my jaw and toothache my neck is now starting to spasm and cause me to lift my shoulder which is pulling on my spine…..arghhhhh…**** **** ****……!.

user-removed
    Free Member

Go easy on the pain killers, given that you’ve been on them for a long time, one way or another. As I’m sure you’re aware, long term use tends to lead to a reduced pain threshold.

This sounds nuts, but when I knocked half my tooth out on a kerb and was unable to source an emergency dentist, I found that a mix of Sensodyne and Germaloids (arse-grape cream) numbed the whole area. Rubbing it in wasn’t much fun but the relief was close to instantaneous. Bear in mind that I was pretty desperate at this point and I had no-one to kiss.

somafunk

Yeah, being a very hands on cooking from scratch type person i have tried crushing up a spoonful of cloves in the mortar n’ pestle wi olive oil and making a puck to sit on my temporary metal crown but it hasn’t worked, that was the first thing i tried earlier t’night, i think there may be a prob with the initial drilling of the molar as the pain seems to be a deep pulsing from the nerve that follows every heartbeat.

Chewkw : why’d you need a biopsy? – now’t serious i hope?.

**** it…i’m taking 50mg of pethidine, hopefully it’ll dull the throb enough to let me get a few hours sleep or at least pass out till i can bother the dentist in the morning.

somafunk

Don’t worry user-removed, i’ve been on long term pain relief or muscular spasm control of one form or another since 1991 and i’m well aware of how easy it is to over self-prescribe and have an above average knowledge of how opiod pain receptors in the body work and their relation to synthetic pain killers. The spinal clinic trust me enough to let me regulate what i choose to use/do, up to the point i used to self administer voltaral injections. I chose to race for years and they know i detested relying on pain relief to control pain as my lack of prescriptions will attest to. My pain threshold is rather high if i do say so myself but sometimes it is necessary to knock yourself into a comatose state. I suffered a compound fracture of my elbow joint a few years ago due to a high speed fireroad washout in the galloway hills that needed me to make my way 15 miles back to the car then drive 40 miles to the hospital with part of my elbow sticking out so i’m quite happy (sic) to cope wi normal pain but toothache pain turns me into a whimpering wuss.

chewkw
    Free Member

somafunk – Member

Chewkw : why’d you need a biopsy? – now’t serious i hope?.

I hope not. My dentist, who apparently is also consultant for the dental hospital, wanted to make sure no alien bacteria or cancerous stuff grow in there so decided to check it out. I will get my result on one of the Wednesday …

It’s the top rear molar biting into the lower gum but I don’t feel pain and it does not bleed. However, there is a white spot on the gum due to pressure from the top molar. My dentist told me that it usually recover fast but mine does not seem to recover … the white spot is there all the time. Well he told me that it’s due to pressure from the top molar but just to keep the peace of mind he prefers to have it check out.

I cannot eat properly at the moment as every time I chew the top molar grind on the gum below and now with stitches it is very sore. I cannot even closed my mouth properly.

I am not taking any pain killer or anything at the moment. It was very sore when I got back from the hospital on Saturday. The young chap (dentist) that cut a chunk out told me it would hurt during the biopsy as I told him not to use local anesthetic as I thought he would only scrape the dead (skin) gum from the top. Instead he went on to cut a chunk out of it … so gave me a funny look.

😮

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Toothache…and no painkillers….’ is closed to new replies.