Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Too.much.choice.help – tubeless gravel tyre recommendation
  • slowboydickie

I have been going back and forth over this and need some guidance. I’m after 35 or 38mm tubeless or tubeless tyres for my Pickenflick. Fast rolling rear and a front with some (but not loads of) nobbles.

Currently I’ve got a wired Sam on the front and 35mm small block 8 on the rear, which have been great but I am switching in my MTB wheels with hope tech XC rims so I’m going tubeless. there is so much choice and I have been reading threads and reviews but my brain is now fried so I’m after some real world experience.

Thanks!

slowboydickie

I should add its the bike I take away with me so I normally end up doing off-road on these tyres as well as “gravel” and road.

onandon
    Free Member

Same bike, same use. I use 35 g-ones.
    More knobs – Nanos, but less good on road.

lardman
    Free Member

Specialized Trigger pro’s work for me. Go up tubeless just fine, and have a pretty good purchase on the road (in a straight line) and good enough on gravel, in the corners.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1
    fast: G-One allrounds 38mm
    more knooby: Nano 40mm
    both tubeless

simonhbacon
    Free Member

I”m a big fan of Schwalbe G Ones in 38mm.

Just about fit on my Norco Search. WTB Nanos were too big.

johnnystorm

Nanos or Panaracer Gravel Kings.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Same bike, some gravel some road. Gravel doesn’t need any tread**. Don’t go too knobbly. My S Ones are great.
    ** based on between 3500 and 4000 miles of gravel a year for about the last 8 years. Big fat touring tyres are good in many ways but not to solid or they weigh a ton.

slowboydickie

Thanks everyone. I ended up going for Gravel King SKs in 35mm variety. Great reviews, especially the point about being more robust on more MTB type terrain, easy up tubeless and fast rolling on pavement. They come in 40mm but apparently they come up big.

If you had a negative experience please don’t tell me with them; I have ordered them already and would rather be ignorant 😀

uphillcursing
    Free Member

simonhbacon – Member

I”m a big fan of Schwalbe G Ones in 38mm.

Just about fit on my Norco Search. WTB Nanos were too big.

Which model Norco search? The Carbon looks like it might even sneak a 40 in to my eye? Is yours the AL one or do they come up huge for a 38?

Interested as I need to start thinking about replacing the Clement that mine shipped with.

tomd
    Free Member

I’m interested in this too. What’s the drag like on the road with those Schwalbe G-Ones?

I’m currently running Michelin Endurance 4s in 30c on my Gnarmac bike which are great in the dry but slippy on our local tracks when it’s moist. Ideally I’d like something a bit better all round.

nedrapier

Same bike, some gravel some road. Gravel doesn’t need any tread**. Don’t go too knobbly. My S Ones are great.
    ** based on between 3500 and 4000 miles of gravel a year for about the last 8 years. Big fat touring tyres are good in many ways but not to solid or they weigh a ton.

I’m just about to press go on some 50c Marathon Supremes. Think they’ll do the job lovely.

aP
    Free Member

I’m liking Compass Loup Loup Pass in 650b/38mm.

nedrapier

Bit tricky getting hold of Compass tyres atm. Velo vitality import them, but they’ve put a hold on selling them due to a trademark dispute, apparently.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@tomd I have 2.35″ G-One Speed TLEs on the Wazoo and rolling resistance is so low for a wide tyre. In a headwind or crosswind, I notice the aero drag a bit, but commuting on potholed roads is far more comfy with balloon tyres.

However, I might be trying a set of 28mm Continental Grandsport Races soon, which will be more aero and ~50% of the weight of the G-Ones (~275g each iirc). Only downside is, they won’t be anywhere near as good off tarmac!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

In true PX tradition, not enough details as to which model, but ~£35 for 2.25″ G-One in either 29er or 27.5er flavour.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYHDSGONE/schwalbe-g-one-folding-mtb-tyre

My guess is liteskin, but you never know.

nedrapier

arg. really want a 2.0/2.1 G-One.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Too.much.choice.help – tubeless gravel tyre recommendation’ is closed to new replies.