Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tool/spares storage in riding pack question.
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

I’ve been using an Osprey pack for the past couple of years and since putting a scratch on the screen protector Lifeproof case of my iPhone and wondering how in the hell I had managed it found out last night.
    A lot of folk ride with minimal spares whereas I know I ride with overkill but I work on the basis I would rather ride to safety out in the wilds than have to walk so I carry the following
    tools, tubes, first aid kit, CO2 canisters, pump, drop outs for each bike, brake pads ditto, 9 and 10 speed links, spare bolts, zip ties etc etc etc
    I don’t chop and change out spares as its too much hassle and Sod’s law is the time I do I’ll find I haven’t got spare brake pads or bend the dropout and have the wrong one in my pack etc etc.
    Anyway…..turns out the Tool storage area of the pack sleeping has bits of hard metal sticking out/punctured through it which is obviously what marked the screen.
    My solution is I will put all the tools etc in a water bottle type cannister or two but being tight, does anyone do similar using a standard mouthed water bottle or am I going to get frustrated or worse still stuff stuck?
    I’m also thinking of storing spare inner tubes in another bottle……..these are the only thing I do swap depending on if I’m on a 29er or 26.
    My mates at work always used to come to me to fix there stuff as I always carried a bag of tools and have done field repairs a plenty on rides.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just pack a little more carefully?.

Suggsey
    Free Member

😆
    Turns out decathlon have tool bidons dead cheap so ordered some, one for each wheel size tubes and a couple of CO2 cartdidges in each, one for tools, one for spares, so yeah your right I will pack a lot more carefully and lighter….I just found I have been carrying 8 CO2 cartdidges as well as a pump, time to do what others do and carry spares just for me and pack more carefully 😆

chored
    Free Member

I have a water bottle on my commuter which has a spare tube, and a small set of allen keys in it. It’s a fairly large MTB tube (26×2.5) so is a bit of a pain to get in, but it can be done and while I did worry about getting it out again as long as you don’t poke it down too far it should be ok.

chored
    Free Member

Wow, that is cheap. I was looking at getting a Specialized Keg, but that looks like a more sensible option.

STATO
    Free Member

Phone in top pocket of my osprey. Tools and spare go in toolroll in the bottom. Let’s go in outer pocket on built in clip. No clash between any of them.

benji
    Free Member

4mm and 5mm allen key, a t25 torx key and a chain tool, mini pump, small bit of chain and a tube, with spare patches just in case. Fits nicely into tool roll, and pump pocket, job done.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Im going to get fully organised and get one for each bike to contain two tubes of the relevant size, the replacement dropout for that bike, spare pads for that bike, a couple of CO2 cartridges, section of chain//link connectors (as I have a mix of 9 and 10 speed bikes) each one being left hanging on each bike and then one bidon packed with all the other tools, CO2 head, spare bolts, zip ties, bribe money, worms and tyre patch kit. That will stay in my pack permanently.
    Grab bike, place spares bidon in pack go ride………..
    Being retired gives me much too much time to be so organised and to worry about stuff that’s irrelevant to the majority of the riding population 😆

Andy-R

Suggsey – Member
    Being retired gives me much too much time to be so organised

I wish I was (retired, I mean) but I’m only 62 and by by the time I’m 65 I’ll probably be too f**ked to ride bikes 😥

BoardinBob

My Evoc pack is really well setup. Phone lives in small internal mesh pocket in main section. Tools are in lower section which has various pockets for storing tools etc in. Best pack I’ve used

STATO
    Free Member

The osprey Raptor has a bottom pocket with a tool roll. Means you can keep the pack out the mud and the roll give you somewhere to put things down without losing them (chain links etc.). Pocket is big enough for everything you’d need inc a short pump and a tube. If you have a bigger pump or shock pump there are sleeves inside the main compartment for them.

^ img from http://twentynineinches.com/2012/10/18/osprey-raptor-10-hydration-pack-out-of-the-box/

There is a top lined pocket for glasses/phone. So nowhere near the tools.

dunmail
    Free Member

Being organised is a skill itself – you don’t want to be wasting time faffing about trying to find a tool or whatever while your mates are stood there shivering in the wind and rain.

Pack the sack according to need (the layout of the Evoc above looks really good), no point in having first aid kit and emergency blanket at the top of the sack, they are there for emergencies. The order of packing may change slightly according to season and weather – you want the items you are likely to need at the top of the sack so you aren’t pulling other stuff out and potentially losing it.

continuity
    Free Member

What in the **** is a “tool bidon”?

dunmail
    Free Member

A “tool bidon” is a standard water bottle but without the valve in the cap.

Easier just to use an old water bottle though it helps if it has a wide neck – some don’t.

jamiemcf

I’ve got a camelback mule, within the main biot i stick 3 small drybags, one is a makeshift first aid kit, the other has a buff and spare set of gloves for the cold and wet days, the third is a mini tool bag, i have a puncture repair kit box which has things like spare valve caps, the valve lock rings, a mini-chain-hoder-togetherer and a variety of other stuff. no need to search a bag, pull out the and it’s all there.

accu
    Free Member

nearly the same solution here..just no drybags..
    since years this is my ERC, every ride carry…not for the short spin around the house but for the proper rides…
    solved most problems so far,
    for the alps I add a few tools, like foldable parktool chainbreaker (CT6.3),second spare tube, plastic sheet for slashed sidewalls..etc..

BadlyWiredDog

The Osprey tool roll pocket is fine in the dry, but directly in the firing line from the back wheel in the wet when it gets caked with mud and grit thrown up by your rear wheel. I like Osprey stuff, but I don’t use the tool roll and its pocket for that reason.

There are plenty of other tool-friendly pockets in a Raptor at least. Phone goes in the top pocket for me, but it’s in a Lifeproof case anyway.

tomaso
    Free Member

Alternatively an old margerine/takeaway plastic lid cut to size and inserted between tools and phone would offer your screen ample tool protection.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Spare hanger and brake pads can be bagged and taped to saddle rails, Shirley?
    No need to carry spares for a bike your not riding.

peepingtom
    Free Member

Same as accu , I use a small food container for tools but strengthened it a bit with duck tape and also has a rubber band around it made from a bit of inner tube to keep it closed better .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tool/spares storage in riding pack question.’ is closed to new replies.