Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Tools in handluggae on easyjet?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Cor blimey! They've refunded me already!

Del

a refund for an excess baggage charge out of geneva, was this?
    they're not easy jet staff at the desk are they? chap was giving me some verbal about mine when we cam back, but continued to put my bags through, so i didn't bother to argue the to55 with him.
    nice one!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

steveh, Ive no doubt youre right but as you and others have said they dont know their own rules, and they will usually win the argument. Best case you get charged excess and have to claim it back, worst case they refuse to fly your bag, or even you if you get aggressive. Appreciate you "championing" your cause though, we'll be saving this thread and the contact names and numbers.

In my experience they are worse at the geneva end-where its often generic booking-in agency staff not sleazyjet employees (as Del says). I know a few cases where people have got to geneva with no problems then been charged XS flying back.

Cynic-Al tell us more about getting refunded so quickly.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

We flew back from Geneva with Easyjet yesterday.

Bike bag = 32kg limit
    Hold bag = 20kg limit

The terms and conditions are confusing, but they do say Bikes are exempt from excess baggage charges.

The 20kg hold bag + 12kg extra sporting kit allowance applies to skis, boards, golf clubs and other sporting kit- but not bikes.

Do what we do- print out their T&Cs for them, and present them if they try to charge you excess.

-m-
    Free Member

The amount of yoghurt was not in question but the tub it was in had too high a value in ml on it. The guy just would not budge even though the tub was clearly 1/4 full

I'm sorry, but that's not "getting worse and worse" if the receptacle was over 100ml capacity – that's simply enforcing the airside security rules that have been in place for years:

Containers larger than 100ml (excluding essential medicines) will not be allowed through the security point even if they are only part full.

A member of cabin crew should really know better.

Airport security is often over-zealously enforced, but people arguing over stuff that is in the clearly stated part of the rules really aren't helping the situation.

(EDIT: That's not to say that the rules aren't stupid, but in this case the security guy was actually only doing his/her job. However, I imagine that a 15-minute argument about a yogurt makes him unlikely to apply his discretion in someone else's favour about something less clear-cut later in the day)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes, this was returning through Geneva.

I just contacted EJ via their websire under ("questions about luggage") attaching my receipt and explaining. Simples!

juan
    Free Member

Flew to scotland with easy jet 2 weeks ago and paid for my bike.

Packed up the bike the multitools and the knee pad. Pack my bag. Got to the airport:
    Hello I have a bag and a bike which I paid for
    Good afternoon sir can I attach the tag to you bike bag[:b]
    Off course you can
    Very well sir you may now proceed to the over sized luggage
    Thanks you very much have a nice day wink
    Have a Nice day[i]Blush[/i]

Easy peasy… If you pay for the bike you still have your 20 kg allowance.

Gary_C

Glad I read this thread.
    Flown into/out of Geneva a few times in the past with easyJet & always struggled go get on or under what I understood until now was the 'all in' weight limit of 32kg.
    Remember on one occasion though,the check-in girl didn't bother weighing any of our bike bags!It would have saved me lugging around a 10kg rucksack as hand luggage….

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had trouble getting this question answered by Easy jet. One person would say 20kg bag plus 32kg bike and another would say bike plus bag 32 kg.

I found the perfect solution in the end. I booked with BA. About the same price, about the same weight limit, the only difference was they knew their own rules!

yoshimi

Well got to the airport, terms and conditions in hand ready for a fight and turns out my mate who had booked the flights hadn't done it quite right and so we hadn't paid fior the bikes in the first place:( So £52 I wasn't expecting (its obv a lot cheaper when you pre-book) but it does appear that you do get 20kg + you bike whatever weight it is

aracer
    Free Member

Very glad I read this thread. Shall now revert to using my hard case bike box when flying with Easyjet. How far back do you reckon you can reclaim charges? A mate of mine had a huge excess bill when flying with a bike in 2005!

cynic-al
    Free Member

In theory, under English Law, 6 years back (that's how far banking charge claims go also).

steveh

aracer the rules have a changed a number of times, feb last year is around when this with the specific statement that bikes are exempt.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, haven't flown a bike with Easyjet since then, which might explain my ignorance (well it's one explanation anyway).

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We just flew SleazyJey to Geneva from Liverpool and our bikes & other check in bags weighed way way more then 32kg because we realised we could take up to 50kg's and has T&C's as well as an email from customer services (that i got them to do) confirming our limit (with bikes) was 50kg's and 32kg's per single item.

Therefore bike and bag must not be more than 32kg, with other check in bags not bringing the total above 50kg.

Geneva was a bit trickier back as they didn't believe we only had bikes in our bags on the way back and mentioned to me that the limit was 32 in total and I was just about to hit them with their T&C's when they said but it's OK on this ocasion…

read second to last paragraph of section 10 I think of EJ's T&C's.

if necessary contact customer services and point this out to them and you will get a reference number that the check in staff could look up etc.

steel4real
    Free Member

I hope they keep the baggage T&C's like that, I may even fly with them again.

Flew a couple of years ago with an FR bike and it was the old total baggage weight thing of 32KG, so had to pay excess baggage (£60 if I recall, well the bike in it's bag weighed something like 28Kg !). Seems like they have relented a bit. Hope it lasts.

pistolpete
    Free Member

Guys, I have just e-mailed Easyjet to confirm the above is the case (32kg bike allowance + 20kg hold allowance), but they have responded as follows:-

"Thank you for contacting us.

Just to clarify your hold luggage allowance is 20 kg. After paying for hold space for sports equipment you are then allotted a further 12 kg of hold space for this. This increases the total weight allowance to 32 kg this is for your hold luggage and the sports equipment together, not just for the sports equipment.

"Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.
    Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out above shall apply in addition to the above fee."

I do hope I have been able to answer your question fully, if I have not, please click here and we will be more than happy to assist you further."

It seems that the total baggage weight to be checked in is 32kg. They don't seem to be acknowledging the fact that the bikes are stated to be exempt from excess baggage charges as per their Carrier's Regulations.

Perhaps one of you guys could post the letter of confirmation you received from them so we can all use it?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Well they didn't answer like that to me! They started off with the 32kg rule until I pointed out the "bikes don't attract excess charges relating to the weight of the bike" term. They then came back with a " oh yes you are allowed up to 50kg but no single item can be over 32kg.

In fact, here it is!

At easyJet, we like to ensure that our customers are totally satisfied with our response but we have not heard from you concerning your request for assistance in the last 72 hours since we sent you a response. Consequently, we have changed the status of your question to solved but if this matter remains unresolved, please respond to us and we will be more then happy to re-open this incident for you.

Discussion Thread
    Response (Jakub Wierzbicki) 26/06/2009 07.39 AM
    Dear Mr Walsh

Thank you for contacting us.

I am pleased to confirm that according to our policy, bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle. Also, passengers travelling with bicycles are recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure.

Please bare in mind that each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 Kgs including any sports equipment, subject to available space.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us Mr Walsh. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again via the contact us section of the easyJet web site.

Yours sincerely,

Jakub Wierzbicki
    Customer Services Champion

I'd call again and point out the bit about bikes not attracting excess bagage charges….

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Here's the first one they sent with incident number!

Subject:
    Baggage policy [Incident: 090626-000115] Show full header

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 72 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
    Baggage policy

Discussion Thread
    Response (Jakub Wierzbicki) 26/06/2009 07.39 AM
    Dear Mr Walsh

Thank you for contacting us.

I am pleased to confirm that according to our policy, bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle. Also, passengers travelling with bicycles are recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure.

Please bare in mind that each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 Kgs including any sports equipment, subject to available space.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us Mr Walsh. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again via the contact us section of the easyJet web site.

Yours sincerely,

Jakub Wierzbicki
    Customer Services Champion

MussEd
    Free Member

Can I add my voice to those who've recently flown Easyjet to Geneva without a hitch when it comes to luggage? Had box with bike{and some pads etc} in 25.5kg. Also hold bag with clothes etc at 17.8kgs. hand luggage was rucksack which wasn't weighed. No problem either going out or coming back. SteveH is right and I've still got the T&C's in my rucksack we printed in case someone was confused.

The outgoing flight was cancelled for a day due to lightning strike however that's another story…

rolfharris
    Free Member

Would it not make sense to have a mass e-mailing of easyjet to help them clarify this issue once and for all? I would have loved to have known about a 50kg weight limit on the way out last month!

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

So… we've just booked flights with Easyjet in October and they've cut the line "Bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle" from the T&C.

Is it somewhere else on the site, or has the loophole been closed?

steveh

Yup it's in the carriers regulations…

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html

End of section 10…
    Passengers travelling with bicycles are recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure. Bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle.

This link is in the thread more than once…

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Ah, good old Sanctimonious **** World. Always comes up with the goods. Cheers!

rolfharris
    Free Member

"Sanctimonious **** World"

Heh heh heh. We call it "Sad Tw@ World" when we're not face to face with them.

erm…

steveh

Sorry i hadn't realised this was lazy ***** world where you couldn't scan the thread yourself and instead expect it all done for you.

yoshimi

That'll learn you for helping Steve

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Tools in handluggae on easyjet?’ is closed to new replies.