Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Tools – how do you store yours?
  • Rustychain
    Free Member

I’m looking to hang my frequently used tools on the wall above my work bench.

I’ve had a look around for ideas/solutions and came across this:
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cwr45-wall-storage-rack

Anyone use one of these? Are there better solutions?

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the floor obviously, the kitchen, living room, back of the car….

That looks decent enough as a start though.

stevious

That looks fancy. I have most of mine attached to magnetic knife strips on the wall. I think they were a couple of quid from Ikea (or someone had them spare and gave them to me). Not as neat as the storage rack but good for keeping stuff accessible.

ajantom

Large sheet of ply or chipboard (painted white if you’re posh), some posi screws, and a black marker pen for outlining.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I use a toolbox.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Three toolboxes based on frequency of use

the-muffin-man

Tools – how do you store yours?

Doesn’t everybody just leave them strewn across their workbench!?

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

Toolbox here and for things I use a lot on the bench or shelf, would like one of those hanging up things one day though 😉

MrSalmon
    Free Member

They all rattle around in a plastic case that a power drill (I think) once came in. I don’t have all that many though.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Toolbox* for me. The bikes are lucky enough to live under the stairs but tools are all outside in the utility room.

*it’s enormous. The size of a very big cool box with wheels at one end and a handle at the other.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Sheet of ply and screws. I’m not cool enough or organised enough to outline the tools

hairyscary

eddiebaby – Member
    Three toolboxes based on frequency of use

If I’m going away biking it makes sense to have a tool kit ready to chuck in the car.

Household stuff in a toolkit so it can move to the job……rather than me going backwards and forwards to the shed.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Scattered all over the house in a trail from front door to living room, bits in the kitchen. Then there’s stuff in the shed & the car.

Usually I can’t find the things of course, or when fettling the bike I’ll put things down wherever I am and spend the next 10 minutes trying to find it again.

Though I did buy a big tool box and try to chuck a lot of stuff in there. It just all comes out again and spreads. I kept it in the car for trips, but keeps going back and forth to the house. I think I may get a second set of key tools for a box in the car and another in the house (or one day, some day if I ever finally move house, workshop 😀 )

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I always chuckle at these threads. I can’t see the point of having big boards stuck on a wall with tools on them myself. My bike tools are all in one toolbox, my other (ex motor mechanicing) handtools are in another & my DIY tools are in another & I’ve a couple with just different sized/drives of sockets etc along with ratchets & extensions. Besides I’d need a bigger garage to wall mount all my gear!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tools on the wall looks well pro only most home mechanics make a complete arse of doing it.

most people with tool board in their garage just use the tool cannon to throw them at the wall on screws and thus they end up being an ergonomic nightmare to use – or they spend ages making a tool board and rarely put their tools back.

Box and shelf here.- everything has place and theres a place for everything. Im uber anal when it comes to tools , always have been. I blame my first boss for this good fortune as he would give me hell for not doing it , now its second nature – this part is more important than how you store them , good disiapline means the tool is where it should be and easy to get when needed.

Rustychain
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses.

A sheet of ply it is!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Hand tools in a toolbox, most power tools in their boxes on a shelf except cutting tools which are kept in the house so they are far away from the bikes.

torihada
    Free Member

ajantom – Member
    Large sheet of ply or chipboard (painted white if you’re posh), some posi screws, and a black marker pen for outlining.

….,and then leave said tools on work bench in front of now empty tool wall. Works for me…….now where’s the bleeding hammer..

wool

Scattered through out the house and rarely in the garage…

grilla
    Free Member

I have 2 of these https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cwr50-metal-tool-board

and my tools always go back on the wall, OCD keeps everything in it’s place. The Ms. Grilla comes and dumps gardening equipment all over the workbench to drive me nuts.

I also have load of the machine mart boltless shelving, anything you assemble with a hammer is awesome.

jamj1974

OP. I think generally to the left. I’m pretty relaxed about it though – so if the old boy migrates during the day it’s ok.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont give up the day job jamj- yer aboot as funny as phil jupitus. 😀

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

In this (not my pic, but I’ve got the same tool chests)

peteimpreza

@grilla

How are you getting on with those?

Can you hang most general bike tools from them?

jamj1974

trail_rat – Member
    Dont give up the day job jamj- yer aboot as funny as phil jupitus.
    POSTED 5 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Let’s be honest – I’m a lot less funny even than Phil Jupitus 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

In a tool box, I don’t understand leaving 100’s of pounds worth of tools on a wall, if a thief can’t pick it up then they can’t take it away without a forklift 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve got that Halfords set too, didn’t pay the amount on the price tags though…

Paid lots less

petefromearth

I quite like this method of hanging tools…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Petefromearth. I like that too but god that man is annoying.

Jamj – i wouldnt be so sure , jupitus was less funny than a puncture in the rain on 8 out of 10 cats does countdown last night.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve got that Halfords set too, didn’t pay the amount on the price tags though…

Paid lots less

Yep, same here, £300 for the whole lot

northernmatt

Mine are in a big plastic tub separated out using small plant pots. Basically I went in the shed and used what was there. Everytime I need to go on a ride that involves driving somewhere the tub goes in the car as well.

Highland28
    Free Member

Got a tool box which weight 1/2 a ton which gets moved around wherever required. It isa bit of a pain dragging it up and down to my second floor flat though. I’d like to have the space to have a tool wall though.

emac65
    Free Member

They’re stored where they land mainly…………
    Got 6 toolboxes & gawd knows how many tools scattered around the garage & shed ………

wilburt
    Free Member

A tool board changed my life. It’s just some marine ply screwed to the wall but I reckon it’s reduced looking for stuff time by at least 50%

garage-dweller

Tool board for the regular stuff as it’s where I work on my bike / do most other stuff. Car tools are in about 4 boxes as cannot get the car anywhere near the workshop so need to be wheeled or carried. Rarely used or bulky stuff is in boxes on racks. No tool takes me more than a minute to get too (including the use it once a year stuff).

For jobs in the house what I need goes in a box or bucket and gets brought indoors and returned when done. most is used in the workshop / garden more than the house so works for me that way.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Tools – how do you store yours?’ is closed to new replies.