Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • tools and weight
  • nickc

finally got round to measuring what I lug about when I use my pack and:

multi tool: Topeak 18+ is 185g in it’s bag
    pump: Lezyne Small Alloy 111g
    Leatherman Wingman: 193g
    2 park tyre levers 26g

that lot comes to 517g, over 1/2 kg!

where can I loose some weight?

nickjb
    Free Member

The leatherman.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The leather man doesnt need to be there , nether do the tire levers or the bag of the topeak tool

Weight cut by half.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow.

nikk
    Free Member

Multitools are bloat, get a separate bit wrench and bits plus a small chain tool. PB Swiss make one, as do Vitorinox,

Alloy pumps are pointless, get a cheap plastic job.

Leatherman Wingman -> Leatherman Squirt

Only need one tyre lever.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Got mine down to Leatherman squirt, Lezyne sv10, 1 Pedros lever, Park patches, power link and a zip tie: all fits in a pocket with Lezyne pump on the frame.

takisawa2

Always chuckle when I see folk lugging a Leatherman around on a bike…

Topeak Hexus & a Lezyne Alloy Drive is about all I’ve ever needed.

njee20
    Free Member

Why would you need a Leatherman at all? 😕

Rubber_Buccaneer

You don’t need a full size leatherman but I do have a very small multitool thing with some little pliers just in case I cant undo a tubeless valve to put a tube in.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you could probably cut your finger nails shorter
    maybe cut your hair shorter
    any extra length on your laces?

Stoner
    Free Member

maybe cut your hair shorter

tricky.

nickc

so, I’m getting…No Leatherman..? 😆 Just surprised at the collective weight of all the kit.

only really ever used knife and pliers really, (although to be fair, I’ve only used it once or twice, not on the bike)

Wow.

At my awsomeness? That I haven’t written a trip-advisor? had a fight about it?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Why would you need a Leatherman at all?

Squirt has a half decent set of pliers and a couple of screwdrivers, on short rides I just take that, a couple of allen keys, tube and CO2

nickc

On short rides, I don’t take anything. (can push back to my door) so I think half the issue is this stuff just lays in the bottom of my pack.

BigDummy
    Free Member

You don’t need a saw.

😉

nickc

I bet Dexter takes a saw when he goers riding…

alexpalacefan

The thing is, it’s not just about your bike. If your mates bike packs up, the ride is still knackered, and you never know what you’ll need to fix that old banger (I’m looking at you, Chris).

So, you end up carrying stuff, just in case.

APF

kayak23

The extra ‘O’?

IA

Ditch the leatherman and the tyre levers.

Get a lighter weight spare tube? Not listed but I assume you carry one.

Stoner
    Free Member

You don’t need a saw.

amedias
    Free Member

Several of you saying ditch the tyre levers, they weight naff all anyway, so might as well leave them (or 1 anyway) in for those stubborn middle of nowhere, raining, freezing cold, numb hands, tight tyre scenarios.

Leatherman can go, and find a smaller/lighter multi tool

thomthumb
    Free Member

ritchey cpr9 25 g
    fixit sticks 55g

either could replace your topeak. i do have a leatherman (a free gift copy) but it’s not necessary

nickdavies

I’d also count a spare tube as a tool, but the bag probably weighs more…

C02, pedros levers and tube under saddle with a toe strap, chain quicklink blu tacked to SFN in steerer tube and multitool attached to bottom of bottle cage with one of those bungee gel holder things off a MT Zoom bottle.

Dropped the bag I used to carry and can just about get all tools on the bike, mini first aid bits in a jersey pocket and water on the bike. Had to switch to lycra top though to get stuff to stay in pockets.. 😆

From your list i’d just drop the leatherman & topeak bag, if you purely want to save weight changing from pump to co2 won’t save a lot and decent tyre levers are a must for me, maybe just 1 though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I (sometimes) carry a saw* on solo rides. I’d rather ride without the pack, but not entirely practical in summer for rides longer than 2 hours, and then it gets to be a faff swapping between bag and pockets or seat pack.

*Or three. A fold out one for small branches, a hand chain-saw for fallen trees upto ~4″ thick, and some pruning shears for clipping off those annoying twigs/gorse bushes that overhang a bit too much.

Kahurangi

I’ve used a leatherman lots from my bike pack.

I guess if you never break anything nor ever stray more than 500m from your car you might never have a need for one….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lifes to short to keep unpacking and repacking depending on where I’m going 🙂

Though the weight of the multi tool goes out the window if you pack a decent size sandwich.

qwerty
    Free Member

Out of interest, I just weighed my bike tool kit on the kitchen scales = 775gm.

Shock pump.
    Pump.
    Alien 2.
    Park tyre boots.
    Park tyre levers.
    Park spoke wrench.
    6mm Allen.
    Tubeless repair kit.

All stowed in a Thomson seatpost bag.

I could loose some of them, but, sods law I’d need what I’d dump.

DanW
    Free Member

multi tool: Topeak 18+ is 185g in it’s bag
    pump: Lezyne Small Alloy 111g
    Leatherman Wingman: 193g
    2 park tyre levers 26g

that lot comes to 517g, over 1/2 kg!

All that heavy crap and no spare inner tube 😆

Out of interest, I just weighed my bike tool kit on the kitchen scales = 775gm.

Shock pump.
    Pump.
    Alien 2.
    Park tyre boots.
    Park tyre levers.
    Park spoke wrench.
    6mm Allen.
    Tubeless repair kit.

Don’t need a shock pump. I’ve never ever seen anyone need a spoke wrench mid ride but if you really want to be covered most decent multi-tools have it covered. Ditto with the 6mm Allen.

If you really need this extra stuff convince your mates they need to take it for themselves and rely on them instead 😆

I’d rather ride without the pack, but not entirely practical in summer for rides longer than 2 hours

This gets covered in so many threads but unless you intend to keep up the gardening work (with the saws) there is no *real* need for a pack. I rode 6 hours at the weekend with the pump, spare tube and tyre lever (with spare link taped to the lever) strapped to the seatpost, multi tool with tyre and tube patches in one pocket, phone and keys in the middle pocket and a stash of gels in the remaining pocket. 2 bottles on the bike and a refill at a tap just over half way. Nothing less than I used to carry in a pack but so much better now

nickc

All that heavy crap and no spare inner tube

Listed…

also there’s a jacket and skull cap, but TBH your list of stuff probably weighs as much as mine does…

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m not sure I see the need for a leather man either – or a shock pump unless you’re setting a bike up or you know a fork or shock is a bit iffy.

I do tend to carry two tubes and no patches (all bikes tubeless) although longer rides I’ll sling a patch kit in. I’ve usually got a jacket unless it’s really hot. You never know. Can be handy if you get stuck up high somewhere after a big sweaty climb while something is being bodged or if it’s going to be a very windy descent, for example.

The thing I vary the most is the amount of water I carry. I almost never take the full 3litres anymore, and flipflop between one and two litres. Water us almost certainly the heaviest thing in your pack, but it’s potentially useful in ways other than drinking (assuming it’s not full of magic potion)

leftyboy
    Free Member

I have a CamelBak Mule which over the last 2 years has gained more and more stuff in it. Most of my riding is a max of 10 miles from my house with ‘big’ trips a few times a year.

I have a ‘big’ trip to Wales this weekend so will probably carry everything plus the kitchen sink! As there’s 3 of us I’m planning on us pooling tools and only taking one of everything so we are not all carrying unnecessary weight.

When I get back I’m planning on striping the pack down to the bare essentials and maybe returning to a minimalist approach for my twice weekly night rides.

I’ve also started to carry less fluids with me on my Monday night ride so this week I took 1 litre for a 33 mile loop and I used every drop but arrived home just as it ran out.

This thread has inspired me to lose some weight out of my back pack so thanks to the OP for starting it 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘tools and weight’ is closed to new replies.