Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tools..
  • mike399
    Free Member

I fancy a new bike tool kit. I can’t justify the cost of a Park Tools set, but at the same time don’t want something too cheap which will round off everything it touches – including my knuckles…

So, can anyone recommend an all-in-one standard kit or any makers of tools I should check out?

onandon
    Free Member

Most kits have stuff you won’t use so I’d suggest cherry picking the stuff you do/ will need and buying quality items.
    I use part stuff mostly purchased from eBay or when on special offer.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got a Topeak Alien tool. Never left me wanting and you can get them new off ebay for under £20.

mike399
    Free Member

I mean like cassette sockets, chain whips, BB spanner etc.

hairyscary

As has been said, just buy what you need when you need it……it builds up over time.

mike399
    Free Member

Is there any decent alternatives to Park?

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I will defo be buying some quality tools very soon. I have had a good day changing a bb ( which was quite a daunting prospect) and followed up with an air can service on a fox shock.

righog
    Free Member

Ice tools, Superstar Components ( not all but some), Evans have some Ok stuff. But Park is the best.

hairyscary

The only expensive tools I have are my Allen keys and sockets. The rest are just brand X type stuff as they don’t get enough use to justify expense/quality.
    That said my favourite tools are wooden blocks, aluminium drifts and hammers 🙂

skink2020

Buy cheap buy twice. Always.
    You’ll only lose or loan them anyway.

WillC9999
    Free Member

For simple stuff the Band X kit seems fine. I have a crown race tool (metal tube) which I am not sure needs to be any more complicated (or expensive). But for allen keys etc I think buying Park might be worth it. Like others have said though, don’t buy a huge kit ‘cos you won’t use it all and it’ll need a mortgage.

br
    Free Member

Pedros is also decent stuff, but tbh you need a number of standard tools which you can get from Halfords (their Pro range is very good), and then bike-specific stuff (I’ve Park, Pedros and X-Tools).

Best thing is to buy the tools as you need them.

nedrapier

Buy cheap buy twice. Always.
    You’ll only lose or loan them anyway.

Nice twist! Did I read that right? You should buy the cheaper ones, because you can get twice as many, and you’ve got spares when some go missing?

Northwind

Park aren’t that good tbh. Some stuff is ace, some not. It isn’t the guarantee of quality some folks thing it is.

This is a decent starting point kit:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40997

It’s all reasonable quality and you’d be hard pushed to put together that range of tools for less. The thing about buying only as you need them is that sooner or later you’ll need something you don’t have at midnight the night before a big ride 😉 Does lack a cable cutter though.

The Superstar and On One ranges are both pretty decent- some misfires in both but by and large good value. Lifeline seem to have gone off the boil a bit, they were the go-to choice for a while, their basic toolkit used to be ace.

Bikehand do a kit that gets you a fair amount of stuff, but it’s not great quality… Icetoolz do a good starter which gets you less, but better. But kits are often a bit weighed down with crappy generic tools- adjustable spanners, terrible allen keys and screwdrivers etc.

simmy
    Free Member

Park tools just seem right to me the Allen keys especially fit snugly.

I’m terrible for brand names these days so I’ve quite a few park tools. But the best thing I’ve got is the Park Workshop stand, makes things so much easier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tools..’ is closed to new replies.