Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tool Tracking System
  • nosherduke996
    Free Member

My son who is a carpenter had his van broken into again (twice in the last six months)and all of his power tools were stolen. Vehicle alarmed and good locks all round and the tools are marked.
    So does anybody know of any power tool tracking system that can be used.

MrOvershoot

Sorry to hear that, along with bike theft taking peoples tools they earn their living with is just so upsetting. Most of the tracking stuff I’ve seen would cost about the same as trade tools over a year :/

FIL had a huge haul of kit taken from their coach garages and despite it being marked & knowing who had taken it the Police were less than interested to the point of telling him not to make a fuss as they were travelers!

stu170
    Free Member

Smart water. And etch/stamp/mark all your tools up with name and address?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Every tradesman should fit these

http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/kryptonite-vehicle-hasp-and-padlock.html

Fitted correctly, there’s no point even trying as they’d need to destroy the van to get in

Cougar

they’d need to destroy the van to get in

Would that make any difference?

Jamie
    Free Member

Would that make any difference?

Make a bit more noise.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

They got into my sons van by smashing the quarter light. Don,t know how they got into the back.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Firstly, sorry to hear about that. It’s an absolute shitter having your means of earning a living nicked off you and knowing they’ll be fenced on for ****-all somewhere.

I weighed all this up recently myself, with a few tool purchases taking me beyond what could be sensibly stored in the under-stairs cupboard anymore. I now pay £70ish a month for secure storage in a self-store place near me, into which all my work related stuff goes. Van is nice and clean all the time now and I don’t wreck the hall etc dragging my shite in and out all the time. I purposely have no bulkhead in the van so that anyone who wants to have a look can see there’s nothing in there.

I never ever store power tools in my van. Just a bucket of bits and some hand kit and the hoover. I’m not saying anyone deserves to have his kit nicked, but keeping them in your van, you’re asking for it. You say he’s had them nicked twice in six months – and he’s considering doing the same again?

Depending on what he needs, self-storage for a unit big enough for an average chippies kit might work out quite cheaply for him – certainly cheaper than replacing a bunch of kit twice in a year. He can claim it back as a business expense on his tax return and pay a small amount of insurance if he needs to.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tool Tracking System’ is closed to new replies.