Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tool time again – hex key sets?
  • oldtennisshoes

For the typical cack handed bike bodger.
    I’m thinking of treating myself to a set of these Teng (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teng-TTHEX7Metric-T-Handle-Drivers-Pieces/dp/B000Y8HLNC)

Anything else worth considering for the money – £30 ish or less?

Tracey

Wera hexplus can be had for around £25 if you shop around

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    hatter

I’d say Wera as well for that budget but I’m sure the Tengs will be just fine if you prefer P-handles.

oldtennisshoes

I do like the p handles, but I’m sure I could manage without on the weras. Decisions 😡

Tracey

Get more for your money if that helps the decision. 1.5 to 10

coatesy
    Free Member

Wera Hexplus has saved the day a few times when bolt heads have started rounding out (first time was when I was convinced i’d need to weld a key in, but they worked brilliantly), but having a P-handle is so much more comfortable for general work. I’m lucky, and have both 🙂

neilwheel
    Free Member

I have the Teng set, nice to use but the coating is not that good, so they will rust depending on how they are kept.

What lives in my toolbag is a set of Wera Hex-plus stainless.

dmck16
    Free Member

Very happy with my Bondhus set, got them for less than a tenner a couple of years back.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another happy bondhus user. Also have a set of halfords pro which are nice.

demelitia
    Free Member

+1 for the Wera Hexplus.
    There’s a few videos explaining the thinking behind their design and showing it in action against some other reputable brands that may convince you.

The colour coding is nice; reaching for the one you need becomes second nature very quickly if you have them all out of the holder on the work bench.

On the subject of the holder; it has a magnetiser in it which comes in handy quite often, especially when you’re using the ball end of the keys.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I’ve never had a set of the plastic handled keys. I bought a set of normal Facom ball-end ones years ago and they’ve been brilliant, 1.5-10mm set was about £12

They’re a bit bulky for bike work but a Sealy AK219 bit set and ratchet holders is bloody good for a tenner with lifetime warranty. I have broken some doing car work though so buy them somewhere local..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Top thread, set of those Wera’s will be ordered. Colour coding brilliant and simple

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Those Wera come in a stainless version too for a couple more quid, I’ve got those as a little pressie from the little ‘un for Christmas. Lovely things.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Had some of these for 25-30 years maybe, still as good as new with regular use.

benz
    Free Member

My dear Dad has provided the majority of my tools.

Snap On, Facom and Knipex appear to have been his recent favourites.

However, my favourites are old ‘King Dick’ spanners….I chuckle each time I see them….

Wera screwdrivers are great, are as their hex keys.

sparkerfix

PB Swiss Tools take some beating. Not sure if they do T handle hex keys but they do a cool bike multi tool!!
    https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/

Wookster

After a post on here I went with the Wera, they are great and I recommend them mate!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Someone liked my Teng set better than I did, I’ve just ordered a replacement set. Teng is good kit.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

For “best” I have a PBSwiss set but for simple tasks where a P handle works or for loaning to ‘friends’ I use these Draper Experts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-THEX-Handle-Hexagon-8-Piece/dp/B01089O6ZM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514458799&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=draper+pro+hex

towzer

Hi

just fyi 20% off various tools on ebay, inc wera torx

oldtennisshoes

Thanks all – I’ve gone for the Wera Hex Plus from eBay (along with a few other bits and bobs) 😳

jamiemcf

I have a standard non colour coded Wera set and they’re pretty good. Had them for years and they’re going strong. All the text has worn off the shrink wrapped sleeve.

As said. Their screwdrivers are good. I have a full set of the yellow ones ( the ones you can hit with a hammer).

Jamie

oldtennisshoes

Thanks to Tracey (and Jamie for the PSA of 20% off eBay purchases) my Wera Hex Plus set arrived today. I really like the colour coding and the funky clip they come with.
    Now I just need to find a way of stopping OTS Junior 1 ‘borrowing’ them 😆

dhrider
    Free Member

Now you need the matching torx set 😀

oldtennisshoes

*gogles torx set* 8)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tool time again – hex key sets?’ is closed to new replies.