Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Tool me up – What No 5 Jack Plane?
  • hebdencyclist
    Free Member

What’s it called when you start a new hobby thinking you’ll just need “the basics” then two weeks later, you start seriously thinking you need to spend 3 grand on kit?

Well that has happened to me. I want to get a woodworking plane, but everything I’ve seen on Workshop Heaven or Axminster is over £100.
    Surely you don’t need to spend that much to get a good plane?

At the other end of the scale, I saw a £10 Blackspur plane in The Range today, but online reviews reckon it’s shit.

Yes, I know I can get an old Stanley plane on eBay for £40ish and restore it, and yes that could be fun, but before I do…

…Is there a brand new No 5 plane available, for under £60, that is worth having?

Thank you 🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

…Is there a brand new No 5 plane available, for under £60, that is worth having?

I’m going to say no. Otherwise can’t help, I use a Clifton, which I hope to last as long as I do.

hammyuk
    Free Member

“where’s ya tool?”

ajantom

Make friends with a DT teacher at any secondary school, and they’ll probably ‘pass’ one on to you 😉 I’ve got literally cupboards full of nice old tools in my department, and due to curriculum changes and falling numbers at GCSE most of them go unused.

project
    Free Member

A plane is made from very strong maleable cast iron, the only moving parts are the frog, two screws, and the blade locking backing plate and the thumb pull, they last forever, and are usually all well made, try to get a second hand Record, better steel blade and more comfortable handle and knob.

kayak23

There’s loads of decent looking Record ones on eBay for around 35 notes.
    It’s not worth getting a too cheap one.
    I’ve got a Quangsheng which is lurvely.
    We use the Record ones daily and they’re great.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Lots to think about there. Thanks

goldfish24

If you look at the raw materials in the casting, then precision machining and grinding required, it’s just not possible to produce a tool the size of a number 5 much under £100.

I made the mistake of buying a cheap new plane (40£) and it was awful, not flat at all (i.e. Not plane!) terrible machining quality. The Axminster tools planes I have used and are very good for the money, the cheapest ‘real’ plane you can get.

So what’s wrong with second hand? You can buy a Stanley/record in good ready to use condition if you spend £60 instead of the £40 for an example in need of work. Going to a second hand tool shop is a good way to do this, I recommend Lee side tools in yapton if you’re in the south east.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Second post was completely unnecessary.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

So what’s wrong with second hand? You can buy a Stanley/record in good ready to use condition

Hmm How about this then? Seems a bargain?

pk13

Second hand is the way to go. The base will be straight and made from better casting materials the blade will be proper carbon rich steel. If it’s the original one that is
    Unless your spending big bucks new stuff is mostly junk copies of record or Stanley anyway.
    Maybe get one rebate version so it’s a multi use job

slowoldman

Well yes but those Workshop Heaven planes!!!!

alanl
    Free Member

I think I have a Stanley going spare here – it hasnt been used for 5 years or more. Also got a smaller Stanley (No.3?). Leicester, offers accepted.
    On site now, you never see a ‘manual’ plane, everyone has a battery powered electric – they are just so easy to use.

grim168
    Free Member

Paul Sellers will help you with an old plane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYyV6IUpsYk

Or this young fella could help

[video]https://youtu.be/e1MJdiRaLO8[/video]

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

If anyone actually gives a flying ****, I bought this.

Yes I know it’s a No 4 not a 5 – but I think it will suit my needs the best at the moment. I look forward to restoring planes in the future, but right now, I just want to build some things out of wood 🙂

So thanks to all who gave their thoughts.

alanl
    Free Member

That’s a perfect all-round plane. A 5 is for longer work, I generally use a 4 on doors if I havent got the electric plane with me.

goldfish24

Nice choice. Glad you were able to find an online place that had refurbed and selected a plane that’s actually plane – always a gamble on eBay. I started with a no4, it’ll serve you well for many tasks.

Enjoy!

chickenman

Not had a plane larger than a block plane in my tool bag for 20 years now; hardly ever see other joiners with them either! Power planer for site work and a planer/thicknesser back at the workshop. Rail saws are now doing many of the site jobs previously done with the power planer; amazing tools. Several cabinet makers I know use a rail saw to cut veneers!

slackalice
    Free Member

That’s a good all round plane, good choice. Your tool needs wants and desires will become as specific as your projects, enjoy!

@ chickenman, go watch a boatbuilder, no straight lines! 😉

pk13

That’s ok tbh . Bit wider than the Stanley I’ve got one knocking about

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Make friends with a DT teacher at any secondary school, and they’ll probably ‘pass’ one on to you I’ve got literally cupboards full of nice old tools in my department, and due to curriculum changes and falling numbers at GCSE most of them go unused

That’s such a shame. It does make me feel less guilty about borrowing one from school in 1989 though.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Heh. Thank you gentlemen. But this is STW. You’re supposed to tell me that whatever it is I’ve bought is shit, and that I should have:

1. Spent ten times the price to get anything anywhere near acceptable,

or

2. Stopped being so silly and just got one from Aldi for £5.99 that has done you perfectly fine and you don’t understand why someone would ever spend more than that

😀

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Tool me up – What No 5 Jack Plane?’ is closed to new replies.