Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • tool bottles, any good – road/cx/tourer ?
  • iainc

I noticed the Elite tool bottle which looks big enough for tube, mini pump, multi tool etc and would take all that out my pockets and save putting on a frame pump mount and seatpack. Are they any good or a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist ? Won’t be using it off road, more winter road rides etc. Have 2 cages on the Croix De Fer.

prawny

I used to use something similar. Called an old water bottle. Was great, 2 tubes, levers co2 and later gloves in there

iainc

Aye, the Elite one is just a water bottle with a full width neck and about £8

here

neilwheel
    Free Member

I have similar on one bike, with a velcro strap. If you stack it and lose all your bits and bobs it would be a bit boring.

therevokid
    Free Member

used the pro half size bottle one, the bbb full height bottle one and now
    a vittoria zip in half one …. all ok until you want to run 2 bottles … 🙂

tobymc

I’ve never dropped mine, can be annoyingly rattly though. Reverted to snugly packed ortlieb seat pack FWIW….

iainc

Hmmm, never thought about it rattling…I guess could pack with disposable gloves to help. Will hang off buying tonight !

prawny

Try it with a bottle first. There’s not much you can’t fit through the neck of a normal bottle. I’d seen the bbb ones but I’d rather not pay extra when I’d got a tonne of spare bottles.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Nah chuck you tools in the the spare tube pump the tube up a bit, close lid.

iainc

ok, ordered one now 🙂

antigee

“ok until you want to run 2 bottles”

use one in the winter to keep a wind vest, thin full gloves, sealskin head thingy and an extra energy bar in rather than stuff pockets just in case…back to two bottles in the summer

IA

I’ve got a tool bottle on the spanky XC bike.

Is great. Rattling’s not an issue if you just make the last thing in a little placcy bag or something to take up the slack.

Though the lid on mine has died a bit after several years and falls off occasionally, mostly on cocked up landings… need to replace it now. The stuff tends not to fall out when that happens tho as it’s jammed in tight.

Used to use a seatpack, but prefer this as it’s properly waterproof, more out the way and lets me run a dropper too.

When I want two bottles, the second is a platypus collapsible one in a back pocket.

jonba
    Free Member

I find the shape of bottles makes it harder to get stuff in.

I use mine a lot for short rides where I only need one bottle. Most club runs, winter rides, races, short training rides. Preferable to a saddle bag as it is water proof.

Never lost one on the road. Wrap a bit of electrical tape round it for a very tight fit.

hatter

I use the Elite Byasi one, the internal divider is actually really useful for squishing the contents down to prevent rattling or keeping your personal effects separate from your oily tools.

Having a ready packed tool/tube/gel/CO2 already on the bike is very handy and unlike a seat pack it can quickly be removed or switched to my Road bike.

Northwind

I’ve got one of the wee pro ones, it’s got some tools, a tube (maybe 2?) and a tiny montane waterproof in it- yeah you can use a bottle but most have more restrictive necks, also it’s only a matter of time til you drink your chainlinks.

Sam

Good way to overcome problems with ease of filling and rattling is to use two old bottles, chop the top and curvy bits off, then fit one over the other as a lid. Makes it a variable size container and you can squeeze it down to stop the rattles. Do a bit of measuring/eyeballing first to find two bottles which will fit one over the other neatly.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I just use a small bottle. Stuff the top with some kitchen roll which stops rattling and comes in handy after a fix when you’ve got white bar tape.

TiRed

Have used the Pro tool bottle and the lid fell off. Now use the Decathlon bottles for £2.99 and the Elite.

I use multiple bottles for multiple bikes; small with spanner for commuting, Large Elite, which takes a Lezyne mini pump for road bike.

Each bottle has;
    CO2 nanoflate and two cartridges
    Minitool
    Latex gloves
    One Inner tube
    Topeak flypaper patches
    Chain link
    Mini first aid; gloves, wipes and a large dressing.

The Elite also holds an extra inner tube and pump.

I also carry them off-road, but the tubes go in a pocket if no rucksack.

iainc

some good points, cheers, ordered that Elite Byasi on as my Lezyne pump will go in it I think, such that I don’t need a clip mount for it.

stanfree
    Free Member

Iainc , I bought one of these in Decathlon in Edinburgh for £4 . It dosent rattle with as said tools wrapped inside the tube and If your clever you can mount a pump to the side of the bottle holder.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘tool bottles, any good – road/cx/tourer ?’ is closed to new replies.