Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Took a dip in the local canal this afternoon
  • Picto
    Free Member

Took a dive in to the local canal due to shonky bike building. Chain slipped off my big wheeld single speed and went straight in and under.

Bit of a slow motion moment as I went in. Remember looking up and seeing the light reflecting on the surface of the water, for a second or two. Very scary in retrospect.

Oher than smelling of swamp, as my youngest daughter pointed out I was fine. Did have a can of coke afterwards in the hope killed off anything horrible I may have imbibed.

RustySpanner

Which bridge Derek?

The tight one at Nob End by any chance?
    Really don’t like that one, arse like a Morecambe Bay prawn every time…..

Hope you’re feeling ok.

Harry_the_Spider

Rode the canal this morning. Slippery as owt near James Mason Bridge.

Didn’t see any Derek shaped holes in the algae.

RustySpanner

James Mason?

Go on then, tell us why…….

derek_starship
    Free Member

The one nearest The Nob. Can’t remember its number. Not the Appleyard bridge, the one before it.

Houns

Quite a common occurrence around these parts 🙂

Sadly a cyclist was found drowned in the canal near Prestwood drive, he’d had a fit and fallen in. Was missing for days…I’d ridden past the spot the day before he was found 😕

RustySpanner

You learn something new every day…….. 🙂

It’s switching from the cobbles to the coping that unnerves me, might try getting further out a bit earlier from now on.

I’ve hit that bit of pipe sticking up just after a few times too.

Harry_the_Spider

The cobble/coping transition always sets my ass atwitch too. Took it slow today.

retro83
    Free Member

Now is not the time to be eating anything with sharp edges.

derek_starship
    Free Member

It was a cobble / coping transition fail that did for me yesterday. I’ve promised mrs. S that I’ll walk under the bridge in future! Just cleaned the bike. The spokes had weeds wrapped around them. It looks lovely again now though ready for it’s next cruise!

billysugger
    Free Member

Them canal banks can be supergnarley

RustySpanner

It’s a Northern canal bank, of course it is.

If your coming up for Hit the North, I sure Mr Starfish or a colleague will be happy to give you a guided tour. 🙂

In all seriousness, it really is tight and slippier than a greased Tory.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Did the same years ago. Tow path was rock hard cow foot prints so I was riding on the 18″ wide strip of concrete at the waters edge. Trouble was there were mooring rings so I had to ride one side or the other of those. To entertain myself I was zigzaging in one out one. Going out I missed and went straight over the bars and in. Funny how you think quick isn’t it. First thought was shut your mouth , next was get your feet out of the toe clips, third was where are my glasses. A wild scoop found them! By now I was chest deep in water, thigh deep in mud and below the level of the bank. A fumble found the bike which was chucked onto the bank. I was going to see a mate on his house boat.His limited water supply meant that I got to wash my face and that was it. My yellow socks were never the same again.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Took a dip in the local canal this afternoon’ is closed to new replies.