Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Took a dip in the local canal this afternoon
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Preparing to pass under a canal bridge when whoosh front wheel washed out. I was forced into a text book dive into the water. Me, my bike, everything fully immersed. I somehow managed not to ingest any water. Jesus it was scary. Once I’d got out I thought “oh shit my bike”. And there it was covered in weeds but afloat so I knelt down in the tow path and pulled it out. All I lost was a medical dressing from my backpack. It was a cold eight mile ride home I can tell you. I am now drinking a stiff vodka and thanking my lucky stars.

project
    Free Member

Where you in possesion of a cycling permit from Btitish Waterways.

Pigface
    Free Member

Weils disease 😯

wors

Hahahahahaha I have ridden down the canal from bury to bolton many a time and those cobbles are bloomin lethal at this time of year.

nbt

Woah, not pleasant. My commute goes along the canal and I’ve had a couple of times when I’ve panicked.

flow
    Free Member

This happened to me on a bridge over a small river that runs through our woods. I didn’t think I had swallowed any, but I have never been so sick from both ends in my life.

binners

Oops! Been scarily close on occasion but never actually gone in. Whiskey is the answer. Warm you up

bikebouy
    Free Member

You are gonna need more vodka…

cranberry
    Free Member

but I have never been so sick from both ends in my life

Now is not the time to be eating anything with sharp edges. 😯

nmdbase
    Free Member

You are going to be ILL :mrgreen:

tthew

Hard luck. I was once saved a similar dip by crashing into a canal boat. There was a great big BOING as I hit it, quickly followed by a red faced fellah appearing wanting to know what was going on 😳

derek_starship
    Free Member

Thanks for the encouraging comments chaps. I will keep you posted about the onset of black lagoon syndrome.

tazzymtb

PICTO from this ere forum is an expert canal diver as well although his big wheel kept his bike afloat 😆

Harry_the_Spider

No photos?

ton

DS………….nice one mate
    hope you have dried behind your lugs 😆

Duggan

I often wonder if/when this will happen to me. At least you got your bike back.

I remember as a child I dropped my bike in the canal and it totally submersed and we couldn’t get even locate where it was yet alone get it out.

We didn’t know what to do so we called the fire brigade from the local phone box 😆

Harry_the_Spider

Neil,

Were you on your own or was Lee with you to fish you out?

It may be worth getting some medical advice. When Trish took a dip she needed to have jabs in A&E.

bobbingbuoy
    Free Member

I did exactly the same !! My screen name on here was chosen by all the club members of the woollybacks mountain bike club and it’s the same on their forum !! We had a little presentation evening whilst staying at glentress and I had to get up to receive my award ………….arm bands and a rubber ring !!

GrahamS

You never know what’s been in that canal water:

Pook

Christ…. hope you stay well Neil.

but it did make me laugh (sorry)

toss
    Free Member

LOL mate – what Wors said. I know the canal and the bridges well if its the same Wors says…. Sketchy indeed. You have my sympathies. Did anyone see you? 🙂

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

You’ll be fine 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

I guess it depends on where you live.. our local canal is one of the oldest man made waterways in the country and is clear as crystal along much of it’s route..

Lush for swimming in as long as you avoid the 30lb Pike and shopping trollies..

derek_starship
    Free Member

Feeling okay up to now. On Stella now. toss – nobody witnessed my entry or exit from the canal. Hmmm an experience I really don’t want to repeat. Glad I didn’t hit an Asda trolley or half a Honda 70!

kayak23

You’ll soon be overtaken by an overwhelming urge to paint your bike up with harlequins and castles soon I’d wager.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah well at least you’ve had a wash this year. 🙂

boxelder

😆 😆 😆

Go on, I bet the first thing you did was to check that no-one had seen you!

Bunnyhop

Oooh, hope you aren’t ill.
    Friends of mine went for a swim on their tandem in the Macc. canal, on an icy February morning, she ended up with mild hyperthermia.

Sandwich

If you start to suffer flu-like symptoms in the next couple of weeks ask for a blood test when you see the doctor.

MoreCashThanDash

Hope you stay well, I’ve never gone in yet, had a few close calls – wet leaves and wandering pedestrians are my big fear commuting this time of year…….

Edit – mind you, rained so hard both ends of the day I couldn’t have been wetter if I had gone in the canal 😆

Grimy
    Free Member

Weils disease 😯

Had that, nearly bleeding killed me. Caught it kayaking on a canal. Didnt clean my hands well enough when we stoped for a sandwich. Its not so much the water thats the problem, you tend to get it from the bank where the rats piss.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Come to Deadly’s Big Night Out on Thursday and tell us all about it. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Where you in possesion of a cycling permit from Btitish Waterways.

Forget that, what about a swimming permit?

You might still be shivering Derek but hopefully you can take comfort from the fact that you’ve cheered all of us up a bit with your comical misfortune.

PePPeR

Ok hands up here! I managed to fall in to the local canal twice in one ride!

I have a dodgy right ankle which I broke (when Pissed in a night club) and I have never had it repaired properly. Every so often I refracture it but carry on as normal, well being clipped in riding along a towpath with a terrier who attacks every other dog in sight,probably isn’t a good idea! Another dog jumps off a barge and she starts on them, I turn around and then realise I can’t unclip and take a nose dive into the canal!

Even worse I was riding along with another chap I’d met up with who sometimes comes on here!

Earlier I had just been riding along and taken a nose dive off the tow path, luckily it sloped downwards and I’d just ended up getting ripped to shreds by the brambles!

I ain’t ever going to try any of this riding along silly pieces wood like Jedi and his mates!

edhornby

wot sandwich said – it can be transmitted through the skin although this tends to be from significant immersion or not washing your hands

make sure you clean your hands properly when preparing food but it’s relatively rare

edit: I did it when I was a teenager, thanks to my dads fixed gear that was way too big a frame

DickBarton

No one would have seen him…he managed to get his own bike out the canal…if there had been witnesses he would have emerged from the water and the bike would have been gone!

rickmeister

“Oh far canal”…

trevh
    Free Member

only accident ive had on a canal was a few years ago worried about cycling to close to the edge going under a bridge which was arched. managed to poleaxe myself by hitting head of the bridge. had helmet on and didnt fall in but mates thought highley amusing as flaying about on the floor. Also was a member of a canoe club who used to practice in the summer in a canal basin. mas exodus of members when someone caught weils was never confirmed it was canal but do get yourself checked if feel iffy its evil.

xiphon
    Free Member

I’ve ended up in Regents Canal, London…. one too many beers + old shopping bike = bad idea!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

done the same on a night ride, on the same canal. Managed to throw the bike on the bank and ended up standing waist deep in the water.

smelled a little in the pub afterwards but no other ill effects 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Took a dip in the local canal this afternoon’ is closed to new replies.