Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • too small for full suss ! oh my god…
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

If a shop won’t get a small bike in for you to try, then go to another who will.

You probbly woon’t buy an item of clothing without trying it on, so why would you with a bike, that would cost a hell of a lot more. And getting the fit right is a lot more crucial with a bike; you can’t take it back if it don’t fit…

juan
    Free Member

As already mentioned kona come in all sizes.

Try to look for a second hand bike it might be worth it and yes nicola’s titus looks very nice.

An alternative?

Might be too bouncy though.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/Syren_GeometrySizing.cfm

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

My GF is pretty tiny at 4’10” – it’s hard to find frames that fit, but if you hunt really hard you can find them. Smaller riders tend to put less stress through frames too, so if you are lucky enough to find something old but dinky come up for sale, it may well be worth going for. With a respray it’d probably look dead flash too. Good Luck!

bristolsurfer
    Free Member

PP – fixed now?

mboy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

My 2 pence worth –

i can only fit 13 inch frame !!!

Don’t get fixated on an actual number with frame size. Brands vary in size even though they may be technically the same size frame. You gotta try one, and be comfortable on it, otherwise you’re not going to get on with it. Better to spend a bit more and get a good bike that you like and will ride a lot, rather than make a “cheaper” mistake and have to start again…
    [:)]

EDIT – Also, when you do get a bike, let’s see some pics! Dinky FS bikes look the mutts nutts!
    [:D]

I totally agree with PeterPoddy’s comments. Don’t get fixated on a number, plenty of “13 inch frames” are as long as “15 inch” ones, it’s all down the the actual dimensions of each individual frame that matters.

FWIW, I would DEFINITELY look at a Giant Trance in XS size. It’s listed as being a 14 inch frame, but it has a very swoopy top tube for extra clearance when standing over it. Also, the top tubes are quite short (just over 21 inches effective I believe) which would compare well to what you are riding currently I suspect, and short of spending mega bucks on a Titus, Ventana, Orange or a Santa Cruz, I suspect that this may be about the best fit for you.

2008 Giant Trance 2 at Pauls Cycles
    Pic of an XS Trance

Though I have just spotted ANOTHER option… The Trek Fuel EX8 WSD. Not a cheap option at £1750, but they do an XS size too, which has a 21.2″ Top Tube, and definitely should fit you fine (I’ve known women under 5ft tall happy on XS size WSD Treks)

WSD Trek Fuel EX8

paule
    Free Member

Don’t know if you can get them in the UK anymore, but Jamis do a 13″ in their FS bikes which are tiny. I know a 5’3 woman who used to ride on of their 15″, so a 13 should be spot on.

The older style Dakar is the smallest fs bike.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/fullsuspension/dakarxcr/09_dakarxc_geo.html

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I was just about to suggest the XS Giant’s as they are 14″ frames. I know that cyclopeadia in Cardiff can get them in (all us girls from Cardiff have small baby Giants) 029 20377772. He will order it and post it out for you too if required.

Other option (which Cyclopaedia also sell). are Cubes. They do women’s specific which go down to a 13 inch frame. i’ve just ordered one of these in a 15″ (I’m 5ft 4) for my new hard tail
    http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/ACCESS-WLS-SL_id_31120_.htm#anker

sandieshaw
    Free Member

Think Fat Tread bikes were clearing out there demo stock recently. They had a xs Motolite frame on sale for somewhere around the £400 mark. Frame looked a bit chipped around the stays and wold probably be worth a re-spray.
    Probably worth giving them a call.

ajr
    Free Member

Ventana X5 is available in 13″.

robdob
    Free Member

I understand what people are saying when it comes to sizes and they say “don’t fixate on 13″ frames”. However my wife is 4″11′ and in our experience 15″ frames, although they do vary, are always too big. My wife rides a 12.5″ GT Backwoods, which doesn’t even have suspension but it’s the only bike I could find at a reasonable price which would fit her.
    It’s ok saying buy a Titus but aren’t they horrifically expensive? I think the big companies such as Specialized, Trek, Giant are normally a good bet as their WSD bikes have been properly designed as they have more cash to RandD one and a larger market to sell to, so keep phoning round the dealers to see if anyone has one. Maybe try the importers to see if they have supplied one to a shop?
    I’d love to buy the wife a road bike but you try to find a 12.5″ish road bike for unde £400 that isn’t comedy heavy or just plain lame.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Orange are selling 2, 14″ alpine 5s on their website, great bikes and only 25 made.

Tracey

When Katie was growing we had the same problem, she had out grown her Kona Stinky JR 13″ frame and the next bike in the garage for her was a S 15″ Kona Coiler at 5′ tall we bougt a XS Giant trance which fitted her perfect

Great bike and the standover clearance is amaizing

She has now outgrown it and is happy on the coiler

Tracey

elaineanne
    Free Member

is that the giant trance in the pic then ?

i sat on a specialized safire today and a small sixe is 15 onch frame ! there was no space at all when testing the standover height !!! the bike shop said i will struggle to get a bike to fit me..

Tracey

Yes

clareymorris

Are you sure about theTrek WSD being small enough? I demoed a 15.5 inch EX8 yesterday and although it felt a little small to start with, by the end of the ride I realised it was perfect fit – I am 5’7″ – 5’8″

mboy
    Free Member

Are you sure about theTrek WSD being small enough? I demoed a 15.5 inch EX8 yesterday and although it felt a little small to start with, by the end of the ride I realised it was perfect fit – I am 5’7″ – 5’8″

They do a 14.5″ version too, which is quite a bit shorter again iirc

clareymorris

Ahh maybe then mboy….I think the main advice from me (IMHO and all that!) is to try before you buy. Not just sitting on, but actually ride it around 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘too small for full suss ! oh my god…’ is closed to new replies.