Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Too short Steerer tube
  • Admiralable
    Free Member

Got some Fox Float 32 R's The steerer is half an inch too short. It just reaches the bottom of the top bolt of the stem (Hope) is there a way of extending this at all or have I got to bite the bullet and fork out £140 for a new steerer/crown/stantion assembly? It's on a Giant trance x so integrated headset and no washers under the stack.

wwaswas

you can get an extension welded on using an internal sleeve or get a new steerer and stanchions and sell the old one on (you might be surprised what you;ll get of the stanchions are ok).

but probably sell the whole thing on and buy another would be eaiest/safest.

RealMan
    Free Member

Pop it in some soil and water it.

Might be able to find a stem that's smaller? Doubt it though.

clubber
    Free Member

Why not get a new stem – the Hope's aren't particularly short.

eg Truvativ XR is only 35mm stack height

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/23669/Truvativ_XR_Road_Stem
    (It's not a road stem BTW – just incorrectly labelled)

or Sunline do one too

Admiralable
    Free Member

Mojo said that it's an aluminium steerer. I did think about an internal sleeve and extension. I have a friend who can do Aluminium welding cos he does a lot of work for garages. But how strong will this be? I had it done to a pair of Rock Shox RS1's but they were steel steerers. No idea about welding on anything. Gluing is about as far as I go.

Admiralable
    Free Member

How much of the steerer does the stem need to grip? At the moment on my Tora's there's a good 10mm below the stem top and thats as it was from Giant.

slowrider
    Free Member

the sunline one is nice and low, i used one when i cut a steerer down too short

wwaswas

I think you're best bet is what clubber suggests, if you can get away with it.

I've no experiencing extendign steerer tubes but this claims to do the same;

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bbb-aheadstem-steerer-item55665.html

with no welding…

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

Consider a low stack height headset, that could give you the 10mm or so you need…

richmtb

I had the same issues when I swapped frames.

I swapped my Hope Stem for a Race Face Deus and instead of swapping over the Hope Headset I used Crank Bros Cobalt.

I needed about 8mm and I got back 13mm.

Worth looking into this first I would have thought

clubber
    Free Member

integrated headset so probably not 10mm to be saved there…

psychle
    Free Member

second the CB headsets, they're super low stack, I did the same as richmtb when I swapped forks… I'd go for the SS version if I did it again, my anodized one has a few rusty patches on it 🙁

5lab

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/kore-b1b-downhill-stem-id19287.html

tadaa! I've got one for this exact reason. works really well

richmtb

second the CB headsets, they're super low stack, I did the same as richmtb when I swapped forks… I'd go for the SS version if I did it again, my anodized one has a few rusty patches on it

Yeah the outside of the cups on mine have rusted up as well, still perfectly smooth mind

foxyrider
    Free Member

? Any good

Google "steerer extender" if they are?

Admiralable
    Free Member

Just ordered one from J E James. Fingers crossed it works.

clubber
    Free Member

They work fine but they do weigh a ton!

Admiralable
    Free Member

Not fussed about weight. I'll be saving probably as much swapping to the forks from the Toras and to my hope wheels from stock

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I had the same problem and also have a Trance X. I got round the prob by getting a Truvativ Team stem which has a single bolt attachment instead of 2 bolts. I might be selling this stem if I can find a suitable 50mm replacement for it. It's 80mm.

TheSlider
    Free Member

I've used what 'foxyrider' has suggested in the past and it works great. Yeah a bit weighty but cheaper than getting a new steerer put in and I wouldn't fancy getting a piece welded on a steerer tube having seen the face of a mate who face-planted on a snapped steerer on a fork made by one of the biggest names on the market !

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Too short Steerer tube’ is closed to new replies.