Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Too nice for a pub bike?
  • neninja
    Free Member

Been looking for ages for a pub/camping holiday bike but everything was either too expensive or total poop.

Finally found it today and it’s lovely. A 2000 Kona Muni-Mula in totally original condition and completely standard including the original Tioga tyres.

Just spent the afternoon putting on a pair Small Block 8’s and fitting new gear cables and outer. It’s such a nice bike I think I’ll become too attached to it to feel happy leaving it anywhere unattended.

ahwiles
    Free Member

too nice? – yes.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Would it bother you if it got battered, nicked, stomped on?

If yes then yes.

eta: That being said I’m currently using a beautiful original 90’s rockhopper, with xtr for the same duties so my opinion is of little worth.

SD-253
    Free Member

I use a Thorn with Rohloff gears, Thudbuster seat post, expensive rack with caradice paniers bags (at least 1) and I nearly always have Trailtech lights with me…………weighs a ton. Oh and cheap lock but I only do rural pubs. If I went into a town I would use a different bike and maybe an expensive lock or maybe just a U lock. I would not take that bike anywhere in a city like Manchester had 2 stolen in Manchester. Suppose you have to look at the risk where you are?

grum
    Free Member

Yup, too nice. Anything with a commonly known brand name is a bit daft to leave outside pubs etc IMO.

neninja
    Free Member

Fortunately I live in a rural area and it would be country village pubs. I certainly wouldn’t leave it in a town centre. I mainly wanted a bike to take away with the family camping as I don’t want to take my FS bike as I couldn’t afford to have it nicked and would spend the whole time worrying about it.

Just got back from the first ride. I have to admit I wasn’t expecting too much from a 2nd hand 12 year old bike but was blown away by it. It’s really quick, the geometry and size is spot on for me. It flew along. Just need to sort the shifters as they’re a bit sticky.

It hasn’t cost a lot (under £200 in total for the bike including new cables, outer, ferrules etc and a pair of new 2.1 Small Block Eight tyres) but I must say I wouldn’t like to lose it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Too nice for a pub bike?’ is closed to new replies.