Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Too much change? Trying to Tweak my bike’s handling…
  • cookeaa

After just finding my “XC” bike slightly too much work on climbs (Front end lifting, generally weighed a bit more than I would like) I embarked on a few changes:

1- I switched the 50mm stem for an 80mm one,
    2- changed the front wheel for a lighter one.
    3- replaced the 2.3” front tyre with a lighter faster rolling 2.0”
    3- swapped the old heavy 110mm Coil sprung forks for an old lighter, shorter set of 85mm MXCs I had…

I went and did all of this at once so can’t really say which changes had the biggest impact on the ride… I think I really changed too many things in one go to be honest.

The bike now climbs much better but descending (which it was very good for previously) has taken a bit of a tumble now, on longer descents I’m getting some arm pump (Which tweaking the brake lever positions may help with I think) and finding my weight pitched a little too far forwards, I really want the bike to climb well and still be a comfortable descender.

I can’t help thinking I went a step too far with the (Admitedly old and basic) forks, but I don’t want to compromise the way the bike now climbs to get reasonable DH performance back out of it…

As I see it My choices at the minute are:

1- Higher rise bars (Currently low rise 680mm Eastons) – Might help shift weight back for DH, but that may not help with Climbing
    2- Try and find a ~4” or suitable 80-120mm-ish U-turn type fork – Cost, time and faff, and I’d like to keep the weight down if possible, but would help cinch 0.5 deg off the HA and bring the bars up a little…
    3- Tweak the controls and tyre/fork pressures and just live with the kit as it stands for a bit…

Any other ideas or options?

D0NK

it’s a compromise, everytime you make your bike better uphill it suffers down. uturn forks are about the only thing you can get that is good for both. £££s tho.
    Oh and you can of course replace any cheap heavy parts with just as strong lighter parts but thats pricey too.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Just changing the stem/bars would make a big difference. I’d put the other forks back on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    I_Ache
    Free Member

Try the uturn then you will have the best of both worlds.

That or put the old forks back on and see how it goes.

I would say its the forks and stem that have had the most effect.

highclimber
    Free Member

i’d say try working with what you had initially. I have high rise bars and a 50mm stem with 140mm travel. although climbing isn’t as easy as it was on my older, more XC orientated setup I find I have more fun going down hill than up and I can go a lot faster with a slight more DH set up.

get some high risers and a smaller stem, keep your elbows low, move your seat a little more forward and put the heavier type and wheel back on to add a bit more weight to the front end.

HTH

rob-jackson
    Free Member

what were the old forks? if rock shocks – space em down to 100mm?

cookeaa

Hmmm,

The old forks were Marz DJ3s, which could have been spaced down further but still weighed a fair bit, they now live on my Hack bike where they really belong, it’s heavier, more compact and has a 50mm stem and 710mm bars, it’s really itended to be more of a Fun day DH/trail machine than this one so I won’t be re-fitting the old forks.

I get on with the slightly longer stem better too, I rode with the old 50mm for a long while and there is a definate improvement on the ups, I don’t think it’s affected the Downs as much as the Fork seems to (which seems much harsher and obviously quicker as the HA is steeper now) I’m more open to the idea of changing the forks for something Air sprung and ~4″…

as for reducing weight, I think I can still trim some fat from the Drivetrain (Bash guard and bottom roller are not very “XC”, lighter cassette might help), that was going to be the next “Phase” of changes, but I’d rather sort the ride of the bike first then cut the mass..

I really want the bike to be comfortable for all day rides, but still fun on the DH bits, doesn’t have to be Flat Back racey, needs to be fun and comfortable to ride, I don’t really want Fatigue from Slogging up climbs on a barge to knacker me for the fun bits either, it’s all about finding the compromise now, I think I’m closer than I was…

A simple open bath Air fork will do for me, I don’t have to have Lock out or travel adjust, but I’d prefer to keep the weight sensible…

I think I might have to scout about for some newer, slightly longer forks…

Thanks for the responses…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Too much change? Trying to Tweak my bike’s handling…’ is closed to new replies.