Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Too late to coppice?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I have an area about 50m x 30m that was planted with a variety of trees, including cherry and oak, before we bought the house 11 years ago. They are now about about 25′ high.
    I cleared some of the area for the chicken to inhabit but there’s still a number of Cherry trees left. Am I too late to coppice them/should I leave them until next winter?

timber

Depends on where you are. Hedgelaying for agri-schemes is now closed as we are into nesting. But Spring is slow this year.
    However, here in the Brecon Beacons, daffodils are only just coming out and hazel into bud, so not ideal here, but not too late either.
    Our cherry down the lane still looks pretty bare.

If they’re young trees, they’ll probably survive it, takes quite a bit to kill a tree. Be aware that any works over 5m3 requires a felling licence (free paper trail).

timber

And side your oaks whilst your at it and make sure they have single leaders.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We’re further north (cheshire) and no sign of growth yet.

bencooper
    Free Member

We’ve spent the last 6 weeks or so in the local park felling beeches and others in some very overgrown hedges – we were told that as long as they’ve not budded too far they’ll regrow from the low stump quite happily.

timber

Probably fine then if the sap hasn’t risen.
    Coppice a bit higher than you would fell, clean cut on a slant to shed water.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks guys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Too late to coppice?’ is closed to new replies.